Dr. Yong Lang
Yong Lang is a Full Professor of Applied Linguistics in the English Department at the University of Texas-Pan American. He obtained his Ph.D. from the Ohio State University, USA. His research areas include linguistics, applied linguistics, second language acquisition, and cross cultural communication. He has published extensively and is the author or co-author of eight books.
Areas of Expertise
- Lingusitics, Applied Linguistics, & Cross-cultural Communication
- PhD, Foreign/Second Language Education, The Ohio State University, 1998
- MA, Language Studies, Lancaster University, 1989
- MA, English Composition and Rhetoric, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1986
- BA, English, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1982
- Minhee Eom, Yong Lang, and Caihong Xie. "Chinese and Korean college students’ perceptions of standardized English tests," The Asian Journal of Applied Linguistic 4, no. 1 (2017): 117-128.
- Jianlan Lyu and Yong Lang. "Good writing in American college students’ eyes and its implications to the teaching of English writing in China universities," Journal of Mudanjiang College of Education 174, no. 01/02 (2017): 49-52.
- Jianlan Lyu and Yong Lang. "Public signs as mirror of campus culture in an American university," Journal of Hubei University of Arts and Science 38, no. 3 (2017): 84-88.
- Minhee Eom, Yong Lang, and Caihong Xie. "Chinese and Korean college students’ perceptions of standardized English tests," The Asian Journal of Applied Linguistics 4, no. 1 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2017): 117–128.
- Jianlan Lyu, Xiaoli Tan, and Yong Lang. "On the translation, promotion and acceptance of Chinese philosophy in English-speaking world: An interview with Prof. Philip J. Ivanhoe," Journal of Asia Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies 4, no. 1 (March 2017): 94-97.
- X. L. Xiao, X. Y. He, Z. M. Luo, Ping Rao, Lin Wang, Yong Lang, "Integrating Content and Language: A Proposal for the Reform of English Teaching in the College of Physical Education and Sports Science at Hengyang Normal University," Technology Outlook 16, (2016): 302-305.
- Lin Wang and Yong Lang. "Technology and Motor Ability Development," December 2014.
- Yong Lang, Lin Wang, Shen Lianxia, and Wang Yinying. "An Integrated Approach to the Teaching and Learning of zh.," Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching 9, no. 2 (2012): 215-232.
- Yong Lang and Galal Walker. Chinese: Communicating in the culture (Parallel to Performance Texts One, Two, Three and Four). 2011.
- Yong Lang. English language teaching in China: New approaches, perspectives and standards by Jun Liu. The Modern Language Journal, 94, no. 3 2010: 511-513.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Yong Lang. Understanding Developmental Education English Speakers of the Other Language (DEESOL) Programs, $75,000.00 ( 2014)
- Yong Lang. Pathways to the Flagship, (2008 - 2009)
- Yong Lang. “The Medical Spanish Initiative: Emerging Leadership for the Health Care Professions”, $442,000.00 ( 2007)
- Yong Lang. Bias in Search Engines over the World Wide Web, $2,700.00 ( 2004)
- Yong Lang. 4. Travel grant for conference, funded by UTPA Title III Mini-Grant , $440.00 ( 2002)
- Yong Lang. "Linguistics Media Library”, funded by UTPA Title III Mini-Grant , $745.65 ( 2001)
- Yong Lang. National Flagship Language Initiative Capacity Study for Ohio State University Programs in Chinese, Japanese, Russian, and Arabic. , ( 2001)
- Yong Lang. Designing of a New Syllabus for English Majors in Polytechnic Universities, ( 1988)
- Yu Shi, Weiwei Fan, and Yong Lang. "Predication and reflection: Key to explore the listening process," The 6th Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2017), Singapore (June 2017)
- Xin Zhang and Yong Lang. "Chinese as a third language for English-Spanish bilinguals," Second International Symposium on Chinese Intercultural Communication, Shanghai, China (December 2016)
- Lin Wang, Yong Lang, and Z. M. Luo. "Technology and Motor Ability Development," International Conference on Educational Technologies and Sustainability, Technology, and Education , Association for the advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), (2014)
- Minhee Eom and Yong Lang. "College students’ perceptions of standardized EFL testing in China and Korea," The ACTFL Annual Convention and World Languages Expo , The American Council of Teaching Foreign Language, San Antonio, Texas (November 2014)
- Yong Lang, Deborah Cole, and Minhee Eom. "A sociolinguistic analysis of T-shirt language used in the Rio Grande Valley. ," The Academy of Business Research Conference , the International Organization of Social Sciences and Behavioral Research, Atlantic City, New Jersey (April 2013)
- Yong Lang and Debbie Cole. "Connecting Reading and Writing for College Readiness," CCRS Regional Seminar on Beyond Comprehension: Reading for College and Career Readiness, Edinburg, Texas. (March 2011)
- Yong Lang. "Writing Assessment: Realities and Challenges," UTPA Professional Development Workshop for ELL Teachers in the RGV, UTPA, Edinburg, Texas (July 2010)
- Yong Lang, Nan Meng, and Hanning Chen. "Multimedia based pedagogical material development and its application in classroom instructions," The Sixth International Conference and Workshops on Technology and Chinese Language Teaching in the 21st Century, Columbus, Ohio (June 2010)
- Yong Lang and Petra Baruca. "Pro drop in Slovene ," The 38th Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Association of the Southwest, Provo, Utah (September 2009)
- Yong Lang. "Introduction to Language and Language Studies," The 2009 UT-Pan American Workshop on Applied Linguistics, UT-Pan American, Edinburg, Texas (July 2009)
- ENGL 3361 90L - Intro to Descript Liguistics:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 3361 91L - Intro to Descript Liguistics:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 3370 90L - Language & Culture:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER II 2018