Terence M. Garrett
Phone: (956) 882-8825
Dr. Terence M. Garrett
Dr. Garrett is professor of political science. He has a PhD in political science from the University of Oklahoma, with specializations in public administration, comparative politics, and international relations.
Areas of Expertise
- Border Relations, Migration Policy, Homeland Security, Critical Theory/Policy Analysis, Organization Theory, Leadership
- PhD, Political Science, The University of Oklahoma, 1997
- MA, Political Science (International Affairs), University of Central Oklahoma, 1990
- BA, History, The University of Oklahoma, 1983
- Terence Garrett. "An Analysis of U.S. Custom and Border Protection’s Tripartite Mexico Border Security Policy," Lodz University, Poland (Publisher): Annales. Ethics in Economic Life (Annales. Etyka w Życiu Gospodarczym) 21, no. 4 (December 2018): pp. 89-111.
- Terence Garrett. "The Border Patrol Nation and Governance: (In)Security, Surveillance and Subjectivity in the American State," Boston, Massachusetts/Suffolk University: Public Voices 15, no. 2 (November 2018): pp. 104-115.
- Terence Garrett. Testimony of Dr. Terence M. Garrett, Post-Hearing Questions for the Record Submitted to Dr. Terence Garrett from Senators Claire McCaskill and Jon Tester. Fencing along the Southwest Border before the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, United States Senate, One Hundred Fifteenth Congress, First Session, April 4, 2017. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, U.S. Senate Hearing, no. 115-295 September 2018: p. 10-; pp. 55-75; pp. 335-341.
- Terence Garrett. "Where there's a wall there's a way: The end of democratic discourse regarding immigration and border security policy," Baltimore, Maryland: University of Maryland Journal of International Law 33, (August 2018).
- Terence Garrett. "Proposed Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminals in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas - Citizen Group Participation versus Natural Gas Corporations," London/Emerald Publishing: Journal of Global Responsibility 9, no. 1 (February 2018): pp. 58-72.
- Terence Garrett and Arthur Sementelli. "MOOCs: meaningful learning tools for public administration education or academic simulacra?," Education + Training 57, no. 4 (May 2015): pp. 461 - 470.
- Terence Garrett. "(with Guadalupe Correa-Cabrera) The Phenomenology of Perception and Fear: Security and the Reality of the U.S.-Mexico Border," Journal of Borderlands Studies 29, no. 2 (May 2014): pp. 243-245.
- Guadalupe Correa-Cabrera, Terence Garrett, and Michelle Keck. "Administrative Surveillance and Fear: Implications for US-Mexico Border Relations and Governance," European Review of Latin American and Caribbean Studies Revista Europea de Estudios Latinoamericanos y del Caribe no. 96 (March 2014): 35–53.
- Terence Garrett. "The Domination of the Market Spectacle and Immigration Policy along the Border," International Journal of Social Economics 41, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2014): pp. 32-41.
- Paul Pope and Terence Garrett. "America's Homo Sacer: Examining US Deportation Hearings and the Criminalization of Illegal Immigration," Administration and Society 45, no. 2 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2013): pp. 167-186.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Terence Garrett. Texas National Security Network (TNSN) Excellence Fund, The University of Texas System - TNSN - Clements and Strauss Centers, $15,000.00 (September 1, 2018 - August 31, 2019)
- Terence Garrett. "The Security Apparatus, Federal Magistrate Courts, and Detention Centers as Simulacra: The Effects of Trump’s Zero Tolerance Policy on Migrants and Refugees in the Rio Grande Valley," Public Administration Theory Network Annual Conference, University of Colorado at Denver, Denver, Colorado (June 2019)
- Terence Garrett. "Trump’s Zero Tolerance Policy, Border Zones, Private Prisons and Walls, qua Security Apparatus: Prolegomena to USA Authoritarianism?," Association for Borderlands Studies 2019 Annual Conference, Association for Borderlands Studies, San Diego, California (April 2019)
- Terence Garrett and Paul Pope. "Border walls, DREAMers and Trump: Politics, policy and the banality of evil," Borders and border walls, a new era? (In) security, Symbolism, Vulnerabilities, International conference organized by the Raoul-Dandurand Chair at University of Québec in Montreal September 27 and 28, 2018, Montréal, Québec, Canada (September 2018)
- Terence Garrett. " A Critical Analysis of the USA's Custom and Border Protection's Tripartite Border Security Policy for Mexico: Wall, Technology and Boots on the Ground ," Association for Borderlands Studies 2nd World Conference 2018 10th -14th of July, 2018 , University of Vienna and Central European University, Vienna, Austria & Budapest, Hungary (July 2018)
- Terence Garrett. "Trump's Big Beautiful Wall: Utopia, Heterotopia and Dystopia," American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) 2018 Annual Meeting, ASPA, Denver, Colorado (March 2018)
- Terence Garrett. "Where there’s a wall there’s a way: The end (?) of democratic discourse regarding immigration and border security policy," The United States Mexico Relationship in International Law and Politics, The University of Maryland International School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland (October 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Bi-National Concerns: Biosecurity and Border Security," Emergency Preparedness and Response to Biological Threats, University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston National Laboratory, Galveston, Texas (September 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Security along the US-Mexico Border," Texas National Security Network, The Strauss and Clements Centers, UT-Austin, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston National Laboratory (September 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "The Knowledge Analytic Lens: Understanding Organizations through Stories in Border Security on the U.S.-Mexico Border," 2017 Public Administration Theory Network Conference, Public Administration Theory Network and the University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming (June 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "The Colonization of the Border Wall along the Rio Grande: Semiotics, Space, and Subjectivity," International Indigenous Research Exchange Symposium: Decolonizing/Deconstructing the Walls, Borders, Spaces, and Bodies, Emilio Institute for Indigenous Responsibility, Rights & Research, El Calaboz; Lipan Apache Band of Texas; Lipan Apache Women Defense Fund; University of British Columbia-Okanagan, SSHRC; University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Department of Criminal Justice; University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, College of Liberal Arts, Edinburg, Texas (May 2017)
- POLS 4333 01 - US-Mex Border Relations:
- Course Evaluations
- POLS 2305 14 - U.S. Fed Gov & Pol:
- Course Evaluations
- MASC 4333 01 - US-Mex Border Relations:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER I 2019
SUMMER I 2018