Terence M. Garrett
Phone: (956) 882-8825
Dr. Terence M. Garrett
Dr. Garrett is professor and chair of public affairs, with a PhD in political science, with specializations in public administration, comparative politics, and international relations.
Areas of Expertise
- Border Security, Migration Policy, Homeland Security, Organization Theory, Leadership
- PhD, Political Science, The University of Oklahoma, 1997
- MA, Political Science (International Affairs), University of Central Oklahoma, 1990
- BA, The University of Oklahoma, 1983
- Terence Garrett. "An Analysis of U.S. Custom and Border Protection’s Tripartite Mexico Border Security Policy," Lodz University, Poland (Publisher): Annales. Ethics in Economic Life (Annales. Etyka w Życiu Gospodarczym) 21, no. 4 (December 2018): pp. 89-111.
- Terence Garrett. "The Border Patrol Nation and Governance: (In)Security, Surveillance and Subjectivity in the American State," Boston, Massachusetts/Suffolk University: Public Voices 15, no. 2 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2018): pp. 104-115.
- Terence Garrett. Testimony of Dr. Terence M. Garrett, Post-Hearing Questions for the Record Submitted to Dr. Terence Garrett from Senators Claire McCaskill and Jon Tester. Fencing along the Southwest Border before the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, United States Senate, One Hundred Fifteenth Congress, First Session, April 4, 2017. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, U.S. Senate Hearing, no. 115-295 September 2018: p. 10-; pp. 55-75; pp. 335-341.
- Terence Garrett. Where there's a wall there's a way: The end of democratic discourse regarding immigration and border security policy. Baltimore, Maryland: University of Maryland Journal of International Law, 33, August 2018.
- Terence Garrett. "Proposed Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminals in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas - Citizen Group Participation versus Natural Gas Corporations," London/Emerald Publishing: Journal of Global Responsibility 9, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2018): pp. 58-72.
- Terence Garrett and Arthur Sementelli. "MOOCs: meaningful learning tools for public administration education or academic simulacra?," Education + Training 57, no. 4 (September 2015): pp. 461 - 470.
- Terence Garrett. "(with Guadalupe Correa-Cabrera) The Phenomenology of Perception and Fear: Security and the Reality of the U.S.-Mexico Border," Journal of Borderlands Studies 29, no. 2 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2014): pp. 243-245.
- Terence Garrett. "The Domination of the Market Spectacle and Immigration Policy along the Border," International Journal of Social Economics 41, no. 1 (March 2014): pp. 32-41.
- Guadalupe Correa-Cabrera, Terence Garrett, and Michelle Keck. "Administrative Surveillance and Fear: Implications for US-Mexico Border Relations and Governance," European Review of Latin American and Caribbean Studies Revista Europea de Estudios Latinoamericanos y del Caribe no. 96 (March 2014): 35–53.
- Terence Garrett. "(with Paul Pope) America's Homo Sacer: Examining US Deportation Hearings and the Criminalization of Illegal Immigration," Administration and Society 45, no. 2 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2013): pp. 167-186.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Terence Garrett. Texas National Security Network (TNSN) Excellence Fund, The University of Texas System - TNSN - Clements and Strauss Centers, $15,000.00 (September 1, 2018 - August 31, 2019)
- Terence Garrett and Paul Pope. "Border walls, DREAMers and Trump: Politics, policy and the banality of evil," Borders and border walls, a new era? (In) security, Symbolism, Vulnerabilities, International conference organized by the Raoul-Dandurand Chair at University of Québec in Montreal September 27 and 28, 2018, Montréal, Québec, Canada (September 2018)
- Terence Garrett. " A Critical Analysis of the USA's Custom and Border Protection's Tripartite Border Security Policy for Mexico: Wall, Technology and Boots on the Ground ," Association for Borderlands Studies 2nd World Conference 2018 10th -14th of July, 2018 , University of Vienna and Central European University, Vienna, Austria & Budapest, Hungary (July 2018)
- Terence Garrett. "Trump's Big Beautiful Wall: Utopia, Heterotopia and Dystopia," American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) 2018 Annual Meeting, ASPA, Denver, Colorado (March 2018)
- Terence Garrett. "Where there’s a wall there’s a way: The end (?) of democratic discourse regarding immigration and border security policy," The United States Mexico Relationship in International Law and Politics, The University of Maryland International School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland (October 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Bi-National Concerns: Biosecurity and Border Security," Emergency Preparedness and Response to Biological Threats, University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston National Laboratory, Galveston, Texas (September 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Security along the US-Mexico Border," Texas National Security Network, The Strauss and Clements Centers, UT-Austin, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston National Laboratory (September 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "The Knowledge Analytic Lens: Understanding Organizations through Stories in Border Security on the U.S.-Mexico Border," 2017 Public Administration Theory Network Conference, Public Administration Theory Network and the University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming (June 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "The Colonization of the Border Wall along the Rio Grande: Semiotics, Space, and Subjectivity," International Indigenous Research Exchange Symposium: Decolonizing/Deconstructing the Walls, Borders, Spaces, and Bodies, Emilio Institute for Indigenous Responsibility, Rights & Research, El Calaboz; Lipan Apache Band of Texas; Lipan Apache Women Defense Fund; University of British Columbia-Okanagan, SSHRC; University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Department of Criminal Justice; University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, College of Liberal Arts, Edinburg, Texas (May 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Border Security and Immigration Policy Management in South Texas by the Numbers: Perception, Stories and the Knowledge Analytic," Western Social Science Association/Association for Borderlands Studies Annual Meeting , Association for Borderlands Studies, San Francisco, California (April 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Where there’s a wall there’s a way: The end (?) of democratic discourse regarding immigration and border security policy," American Society for Public Administration Annual Meeting, American Society for Public Administration, Atlanta, Georgia (March 2017)
- PAFF 6334 90L - Issues:Policy/Global Security:
- Course Evaluations
- PAFF 6381 90L - Homeland Security in U.S.:
- Course Evaluations
- PAFF 6395 01 - Independent Study:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER I 2017