Terence M. Garrett
Phone: (956) 882-8825
Dr. Terence M. Garrett
Dr. Garrett is professor and chair of public affairs, with a PhD in political science, with specializations in public administration, comparative politics, and international relations.
Areas of Expertise
- Border Security, Migration Policy, Homeland Security, Organization Theory, Leadership
- PhD, Political Science, The University of Oklahoma, 1997
- MA, Political Science (International Affairs), University of Central Oklahoma, 1990
- BA, The University of Oklahoma, 1983
- Terence Garrett. "Proposed Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminals in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas - Citizen Group Participation versus Natural Gas Corporations," London/Emerald Publishing: Journal of Global Responsibility (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2018).
- Terence Garrett. Where there's a wall there's a way: The end of democratic discourse regarding immigration and border security policy. Baltimore, Maryland: University of Maryland Journal of International Law, January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2018.
- Terence Garrett. "“The Border Patrol Nation and Governance: (In)Security, Surveillance and Subjectivity in the American State” accepted for publication in Public Voices. (forthcoming 2018)," (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2018).
- Terence Garrett. "(with Arthur Sementelli) "MOOCs: meaningful learning tools for public administration education or academic simulacra?" Education + Training, Vol. 57 Iss: 4, pp.461 - 470.," (September 2015).
- Terence Garrett. "(with Guadalupe Correa-Cabrera) “The Phenomenology of Perception and Fear: Security and the Reality of the U.S.-Mexico Border” in Journal of Borderland Studies Vol. 29(2), 243-255.," Journal of Borderlands Studies (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2014).
- Terence Garrett. "“The Domination of the Market Spectacle and Immigration Policy along the Border,” in the International Journal of Social Economics 41(1), 32-41. ," (March 2014).
- Guadalupe Correa-Cabrera, Terence Garrett, and Michelle Keck. "Administrative Surveillance and Fear: Implications for US-Mexico Border Relations and Governance," European Review of Latin American and Caribbean Studies Revista Europea de Estudios Latinoamericanos y del Caribe no. 96 (March 2014): 35–53.
- Terence Garrett. "(with Paul Pope) "America's Homo Sacer: Examining US Deportation Hearings and the Criminalization of Illegal Immigration," in Administration & Society, 45(2): 167-186.," (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2013).
- Terence Garrett. "“Stories Managers Tell and the Knowledge Analytic: A Brief Review of Ralph Hummel’s Work and Influences,” in Administrative Theory & Praxis, 35(1): 161-165.," (August 2013).
- Terence Garrett. "(with Staci Zavattaro) “‘Reinventing’ Higher Education: Symbolism, Sloganeering, and Subjectivity in the Lone Star State,” in Public Voices, 13(1): 100-119.," (March 2013).
- Terence Garrett. "Where there’s a wall there’s a way: The end (?) of democratic discourse regarding immigration and border security policy," The United States Mexico Relationship in International Law and Politics, The University of Maryland International School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland (October 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Bi-National Concerns: Biosecurity and Border Security," Emergency Preparedness and Response to Biological Threats, University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston National Laboratory, Galveston, Texas (September 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Security along the US-Mexico Border," Texas National Security Network, The Strauss and Clements Centers, UT-Austin, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston National Laboratory (September 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "The Knowledge Analytic Lens: Understanding Organizations through Stories in Border Security on the U.S.-Mexico Border," 2017 Public Administration Theory Network Conference, Public Administration Theory Network and the University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming (June 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "The Colonization of the Border Wall along the Rio Grande: Semiotics, Space, and Subjectivity," International Indigenous Research Exchange Symposium: Decolonizing/Deconstructing the Walls, Borders, Spaces, and Bodies, Emilio Institute for Indigenous Responsibility, Rights & Research, El Calaboz; Lipan Apache Band of Texas; Lipan Apache Women Defense Fund; University of British Columbia-Okanagan, SSHRC; University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Department of Criminal Justice; University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, College of Liberal Arts, Edinburg, Texas (May 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Border Security and Immigration Policy Management in South Texas by the Numbers: Perception, Stories and the Knowledge Analytic," Western Social Science Association/Association for Borderlands Studies Annual Meeting , Association for Borderlands Studies, San Francisco, California (April 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Where there’s a wall there’s a way: The end (?) of democratic discourse regarding immigration and border security policy," American Society for Public Administration Annual Meeting, American Society for Public Administration, Atlanta, Georgia (March 2017)
- Terence Garrett. "Lone Star Wars 2015: Proposed Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminals in the Rio Grande Valley - Citizen Group Participation versus Oil and Gas Corporations," Public Administration Theory Network Annual Meeting, Public Administration Theory Network, San Antonio, Texas (May 2016)
- Terence Garrett. "The Border Patrol Nation and Governance: (In)Security, Surveillance, and Subjectivity in the American State," Public Administration Theory Network Annual Meeting, Public Administration Theory Network, Vancouver, British Columbia (May 2015)
- Terence Garrett and Arthur Sementelli. "MOOCs: Meaningful Learning Tools for Public Administration Education or Academic Simulacra?," ASPA Annual Meeting 2014, Washington, D.C. (March 2014)
- PAFF 7306 01 - Prof Report:Public Policy:
- Course Evaluations
- PAFF 6337 01R - US- Mexico Border Policy:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER I 2017
SUMMER I 2016