Dr. Tamer Balci
Dr. Tamer Balcı is Associate Professor of Modern Middle East history at University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. He received his B.A. degree in history from Istanbul University and his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in history from Claremont Graduate University. He teaches various history courses including World history surveys, history of the Ottoman Empire, history of the Early Middle East, Modern Middle East history, and Women in the Middle East, as well as graduate courses on the Islamic Movements in the Middle East and Theories of Nationalism. His research focuses on the development of intellectual ideas in the modern Middle East.
Areas of Expertise
- Modern Middle East History
- Ottomanism and the Ottoman Empire
- History of the Balkans
- Nationalism and Identity Construction
- Islam and Secularism
- PhD, History, Claremont Graduate University, 2007
- MA, History (European Studies), Claremont Graduate University, 1999
- Graduate Study in History, Modern Turkish History, Istanbul University, 1994
- BA, History, Istanbul University, 1994
- Tamer Balci. ed. Symposium Abstract Book. International Symposium on New Trends in Social and Liberal Sciences, Milan, Italy, April 28-May 1, 2016. Edinburg, Texas: SOBY, June 2016: 143.
- Tamer Balci. "Ottoman Balkan Heritage and the Construction of Turkish National Identity," Burdur: Journal of Ottoman Legacy Studies (JOLS) 1, no. 1 (November 2014): 60-70.
- Tamer Balci. "Kosovo Albanians in the Clutches of Communism and Nationalism," Balkan Tarihi Araştırmalarına Methodolojik Yaklaşımlar, Methodical Approaches to the Balkan History Studies. Istanbul: Libra Kitapcilik, February 2014.
- Tamer Balci. Arabs of the Jewish Faith: Colonizing Mission in Colonial Algeria Rutgers University Press. Chronicle of Historical Studies. Rutgers University Press , 7, 2013.
- Tamer Balci. Toward an Islamic Enlightenment: The Gülen Movement, by Hakan Yavuz. Washington D.C.: Middle East Policy, 20, no. 2 July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2013: 165-172.
- Christopher Miller and Tamer Balci. "Interdisciplinary Inquiry and the Gülen Gestalt," The Gülen Hizmet Movement: Circumspect Activism in Faith Based Reform. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2012: 233-250.
- Tamer Balci and Christopher Miller. ed. The Gülen Hizmet Movement: Circumspect Activism in Faith Based Reform. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2012.
- Tamer Balci. "Foreword: A Glance at Imperialism, Önsöz: Sömürgeciliğe Kısa bir Bakış," Samsun, History Studies: History Studies: International Journal of History 4, no. 3 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2012): I-V.
- Tamer Balci. "Turkish Nationalists and the Ottoman Imperial Legacy," Samsun, History Studies: History Studies: International Journal of History 4, no. 3 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2012): 35-52.
- Tamer Balci. "The Cyprus Crisis and the Southern Flank of NATO (1960-1975)," Utrecht/Institute for Turkish Studies: International Review of Turkish Studies 2, no. 3 (September 2012): 30-54.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Tamer Balci. UTRGV Summer Writing Program, UTRGV, $500.00 (June 20, 2016 - December 31, 2016)
- Tamer Balci. Faculty Research Travel Grant, UTRGV, Office of Global Engagement, $500.00 (September 16, 2016 - December 16, 2016)
- Tamer Balci. BIDEB Grant, TUBITAK, the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, $13,000.00 (December 25, 2015 - July 15, 2016)
- Tamer Balci. Travel Grant, OMTAD, Ottoman Heritage and Turkish Cultural Research Association, $3,500.00 (January 8, 2016 - June 30, 2016)
- Tamer Balci. Travel Grant, UBTAS, International Balkan History Research Symposium , $13,000.00 (January 8, 2016 - June 30, 2016)
- Tamer Balci. Undergraduate Research Initiative Grant-American Foreign Policy on the Balkans during the Cold War, UTPA, $2,000.00 (September 10, 2014 - August 31, 2015)
- Kristine Wirts. Faculty Development Grant, The University of Texas -- Pan American, $3,000.00 (May 1, 2014 - August 31, 2014)
- Tamer Balci. Online Exemplary Course Program, COLT, Center for Online Learning, Teaching and Technology-University of Texas-Pan American, $5,000.00 (September 1, 2013 - August 31, 2014)
- Tamer Balci. Undergraduate Research Initiative Grant, University of Texas-Pan American, $2,000.00 (October 2, 2012 - August 31, 2013)
- Tamer Balci. Second Life Challenge Fellowship, COLT, Center for Online Learning, Teaching and Technology, (2009 - 2010)
- Tamer Balci. "Islam: An Introduction," STC Sociology Club, Courage Dialog Series, South Texas College, McAllen, Texas (February 2017)
- Tamer Balci. "An Examination of the Gulen Movement after the July 15 Coup Attempt," The Gulen Movement and the Coup of July 15th in Turkey, University of utah, Salt Lake City, Utah (October 2016)
- Tamer Balci. "Military Coups in Turkey and International Geopolitics of July 15 Coup Attempt," ISMER: International Symposium of Middle East Relations, UTRGV, NETSOL, Edinburg, Texas (September 2016)
- Tamer Balci. "Proto-Ottomanism: Genesis of Ottomanism in the Ottoman Cities," Fourth International Balkan History Symposium, UBTAS, Turkish Historical Society, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina (June 2016)
- Tamer Balci. "Islam and the Middle East in Texas School Textbooks," International Symposium on New Trends in Social and Liberal Sciences, OMAD, Milan, Italy (April 2016)
- Tamer Balci. "Syrian Civil War and Immigration," Flow of Immigrants and the Prospect for Peace in Syria and Sudan, West Los Angeles College, Los Angeles, California (March 2016)
- Tamer Balci. "Syria and Iraq from Regional Power Struggle to Proxy Wars," A Panel on Syrian Dilemma, UTRGV, UTRGV, Edinburg, Texas (November 2015)
- Tamer Balci. "A Brief History of Bahai faith in Iran," A Panel Discussion on Bahai of Iran, UTPA, Edinburg, Texas (February 2015)
- Tamer Balci. "Ottoman Balkans and the Construction of Turkish National Identity," Second International Symposium on Balkan History Studies: The Ottoman Legacy in the Balkans and the Ottoman Tax Registers, UBTAS, Turkish Historical Society, Podgorica, Montenegro (April 2014)
- Tamer Balci. "Crimean Khanate and the Crimean Tatars (1441-1783)," A Panel on Nationalism and Empire, University of Texas-Pan American, Edinburg, TX (March 2014)
- HIST 2321 02 - World History I:
- Course Evaluations
- HIST 3371 01 - Modern Middle Eastern History:
- Course Evaluations
- HIST 3302 90L - Geo & Envr in Hist:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER I 2016