Phone: (956) 665-7937
Dr. Suad Ghaddar
Dr. Ghaddar's research focuses on understanding the health literacy of different segments of the US-Mexico border population. It has also addressed health care coverage and its impact on the utilization of health care services, the adoption of health information technology in disadvantaged communities, and the design of interventions that help promote health literacy and health system navigation skills as mechanisms to address health disparities in vulnerable populations. Her educational background brings a rich understanding of and perspective on the unique socioeconomic context of the US-Mexico border.
Areas of Expertise
- Health Disparities; Health Literacy; Health Education; Health Policy
- PhD, International Business, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2003
- MBA, Business Administration, American University of Beirut, 1990
- BBA, Business Administration, American University of Beirut, 1988
- Grant Benham, Suad Ghaddar, and Liza Talavera-Garza. "Short sleep duration is associated with obesity in Hispanic manufacturing workers," Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 28, no. 4 (November 2017): 1304-1313.
- Sharon Schembri and Suad Ghaddar. "A cultural view on healthcare access: Considering the Hispanic perspective," Advances in Consumer Research (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2017).
- Sharon Schembri and Suad Ghaddar. "The Affordable Care Act, the Medicaid coverage gap, and Hispanic consumers: A phenomenology of Obamacare," Journal of Consumer Affairs (February 2017).
- Suad Ghaddar, John Ronnau, Shawn Saladin, and Glenn Martínez. "Innovative approaches to promote a culturally competent, diverse health care workforce in an institution serving Hispanic students.," Academic Medicine 88, no. 12 (December 2013): 1870-6.
- Liza Talavera-Garza, Suad Ghaddar, M Valerio, and C Garcia. "Health care access and utilization among Hispanic manufacturing workers along the Texas-Mexico border.," Journal of health care for the poor and underserved 24, no. 2 (May 2013): 656-70.
- Xiaohui Wang, Suad Ghaddar, Cynthia Brown, J Pagán, and M Balboa. "Alliance for a Healthy Border: Factors Related to Weight Reduction and Glycemic Success," Population Health Management 15, no. 2 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2012): 90-100.
- Suad Ghaddar, M Valerio, C Garcia, and L Hansen. "Adolescent health literacy: the importance of credible sources for online health information.," The Journal of school health 82, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2012): 28-36.
- Suad Ghaddar, Cynthia Brown, Jose Pagan, and Violeta Diaz. "Acculturation and Healthy Lifestyle Habits among Hispanics in U.S.-Mexico Border Communities," Pan American Journal of Public Health 28, no. 3 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2010): 190-197.
- Suad Ghaddar and Cynthia Brown. "The cross-border Mexican shopper: a profile," Research Review 12, no. 2 (2005): 46–50.
- John Sargent and Suad Ghaddar. "International success of business groups as an indicator of national competitiveness: The Mexican example," Latin American Business Review 2, no. 3-4 (2001): 97–121.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Yasar Tasnif. Culture Specific Interventions to Increase Organ Donation Advocacy, The Valley Baptist Legacy Foundation , $25,000.00 (August 31, 2015)
- Suad Ghaddar. Social Network Analysis Training, NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, (May 3, 2009 - May 8, 2009)
- Laryssa Mykyta, Suad Ghaddar, Sulema Perales, and Sheila Mordan. "Exploring dual-frame survey design to assess mental health needs among a hard-to-reach Hispanic population," BRFSS 2018 Training Workshop, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta (April 2018)
- Suad Ghaddar and Sharon Schembri. "Challenges to ACA enrollment: Perspective of ACA navigators," American Public Health Association’s 145th Annual Meeting and Exposition, Atlanta (November 2017)
- Sharon Schembri and Suad Ghaddar. "A cultural view on healthcare access: Considering the Hispanic perspective," Association for Consumer Research North America Conference, Association for Consumer Research, San Diego (October 2017)
- Suad Ghaddar, Jihyun Byun, and Janani Krishnaswami. "Health Insurance Literacy and Awareness of the Affordable Care Act in Vulnerable Latino Populations," ICCH & HARC (International Conference on Communication in Healthcare & Health Literacy Annual Research Conference), Academy of Communication in Healthcare, Baltimore (October 2017)
- Renee Starr and Suad Ghaddar. "Health Disparities along the Texas-Mexico Border: Implications and Recommendations," National Association for African American Studies & Affiliates 25th Joint National Conference, Dallas (February 2017)
- Suad Ghaddar, Yasar Tasnif, and Amira Khan. "A profile of organ donors in a vulnerable Latino community," American Public Health Association’s 144th Annual Meeting and Exposition, Denver (November 2016)
- Xiaohui Wang, L. Xu, Suad Ghaddar, and Cynthia Brown. "Examining prevention education programs' effects on border Hispanics physical activity intentions and status," American Public Health Association’s 144th Annual Meeting and Exposition, Denver, Colorado (October 2016)
- Renee Starr and Suad Ghaddar. "Health Disparities along the Texas-Mexico Border: Implications and Recommendations," National Association for Hispanic and Latino Studies International Research Forum, South Padre Island (October 2016)
- Sarah Stegall, Robert Dearth, Amy Weimer, Suad Ghaddar, Tulay Atesin, and Nicholas Weimer. "An effective model of undergraduate research for hispanic-serving institutions," Excellent Practices in Mentoring Undergraduate Research , Elon, North Carolina (July 2016)
- Yasar Tasnif, Suad Ghaddar, Shawn Saladin, and A Alanis. "Culture Specific Interventions to Increase Organ Donation Advocacy in a Hispanic Serving Institution," American Transplant Congress, Boston (June 2016)
SUMMER I 2018
SPRING 2018 MODULE 2
FALL 2017 MODULE 2
SPRING 2017 MODULE 2