Steven P. Chamberlain
Phone: (956) 882-7675
Dr. Steven P. Chamberlain
Dr. Chamberlain is a professor of special education and has served the university in Brownsville since 1999. His greatest professional interest is exploring the role of culture, language, and disability in the education of children with disabilities.
Areas of Expertise
- Cultural differences in teaching and learning
- Disproportionate representation in special education
- Historical perspectives on the education of children with disabilities
- PhD, Special Education, The University of Texas at Austin, 1999
- MEd, Special Education, The University of Texas at Austin, 1989
- BA, English, The University of Texas at Austin, 1985
- Steve Chamberlain. "Coming to understand diversity and education: Life experiences and educational opportunities. ," Special Issue: White Multicultural Voices in Southern Universities: Multicultural Learning and Teaching 10, no. 2 (2015): 163-182.
- Steve Chamberlain. "An evolutionary (lifetime) process of coming to understand diversity in schools and society. ," White Voices in Multicultural Education: How They Came to Be. NOVA: Science Publishers, Inc., July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2014: 99-114.
- Steve Chamberlain. "An interview with Virginia Brown: A dynamo with diverse interests. ," Intervention in School and Clinic 50, no. 1 (May 2014): 51-57.
- Hsuying Ward and Steve Chamberlain. M. Ed. in Special Education SPA Program Report. NCATE Reports. Brownsville: February 2014.
- Steven Chamberlain. "Observations of Pioneers in the Fields of Learning Disabilities and Emotional-behavior Disorders," Intervention in School and Clinic .
- Hsuying Ward, Steve Chamberlain, and Perla Perez. Impact of Academic Language Lab on Beginning Special Education Teachers. Academic Language Lab and Preservice Special Education Teachers' Reflections. .
- Steven Chamberlain, Terry Overton, Mary Curtis, and Hsuying Ward. M.Ed. in Special Education, Educational Diagnostician SPA Program Report. Brownsville, TX: NCATE Report, .
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Steve Chamberlain. Individualized 4-C Treatment for Hispanic Parents and Their Children with Autism, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, $500,000.00 ( )
- Alma Rodriguez, Sandra Musanti, Steve Chamberlain, and John Jauregui. "Re-designing Clinical Experiences at a Hispanic Serving Institution: A Change in the Right Direction," CSOTTE Fall 2018 Teacher Education Conference, The Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Education, San Antonio, TX (October 2018)
- Steven Chamberlain. "Curriculum (R)evolution: Leading College Efforts Toward Clinically-rich Teacher Preparation ," Council for Learning Disabilities 40th Annual Conference, Council for Learning Disabilities, Portland, Oregon (October 2018)
- Hsuying Ward and Steve Chamberlain. "Assessing Practitioners’ Family-Centered Practice Using Teach LIVE Simulation and Self-Assessment," 39th International Conference on Learning Disabilities, Council of Learning Disabilities, Baltimore, Maryland (October 2017)
- Steve Chamberlain. "Using Tenets of PBS, RTI, and Culturally Responsive Assessment to Reduce Inappropriate Referrals to Special Education," Equity Conference: Altering the Level of Consciousness, Region I Education Service Center, South Padre Island (May 2017)
- Steve Chamberlain and Tina Atkins. "Creating Avenues to Teacher Preparation: The Pathways to Teaching Initiative," South Texas Early College High School Conference: A Practitioners’ Perspective, Region I Education Service Center, South Padre Island (April 2017)
- Veronica Estrada and Steve Chamberlain. "Attracting High School Students to Teaching: A P-16 Initiative ," Conference on Academic Research in Education (CARE), Las Vegas, Nevada (January 2017)
- Steve Chamberlain, Alma Rodriguez, Sandra Musanti, and Norma Castillo. "Preparing first year teachers to teach like second year teachers: A University-District collaborative," Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Education, San Marcos, TX (October 2016)
- Steve Chamberlain, Veronica Estrada, and Tina Atkins. "Creating Pathways to Teaching: A University-ESC Partnership," CSOTTE Teacher Education Conference, Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Education, San Marcos, TX (October 2016)
- Hsuying Ward, Steve Chamberlain, and Perla Frias. "LD Teacher Education Model for Developing ESSA Teacher Competencies. ," 38th International Conference on Learning Disabilities, (October 2016)
- Hsuying Ward, Steve Chamberlain, and Susanna Perales. "Engaging Special Education Candidates through Student Organization for Unique Learners.," Texas Council for Exceptional Children Summer Conference, Texas Council for Exceptional Children, Fort Worth, TX (June 2015)
- SPED 4330 01 - Language & Literacy Except Lea:
- Course Evaluations
- EDCI 8380 18 - Dissertation:
- Course Evaluations
- EPSY 6303 06 - High Incidence Disabilities:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER 2018 MODULE 2
SUMMER II 2018
SPRING 2018 MODULE 1
FALL 2017 MODULE 2
FALL 2017 MODULE 1
SUMMER 2017 MODULE 2
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER 2017 MODULE 1
SPRING 2017 MODULE 2
FALL 2016 MODULE 2
FALL 2016 MODULE 1