Steven P. Chamberlain
Phone: (956) 882-7675
Dr. Steven P. Chamberlain
Dr. Chamberlain is a professor of special education and has served the university in Brownsville since 1999. His greatest professional interest is exploring the role of culture, language, and disability in the education of children with disabilities.
Areas of Expertise
- Cultural differences in teaching and learning
- Disproportionate representation in special education
- Historical perspectives on the education of children with disabilities
- PhD, Special Education, The University of Texas - Austin, 1999
- MEd, Special Education, The University of Texas - Austin, 1989
- BA, English, The University of Texas - Austin, 1985
- Steve Chamberlain. "Coming to understand diversity and education: Life experiences and educational opportunities. ," Special Issue: White Multicultural Voices in Southern Universities: Multicultural Learning and Teaching 10, no. 2 (2015): 163-182.
- Steve Chamberlain. "An evolutionary (lifetime) process of coming to understand diversity in schools and society. ," White Voices in Multicultural Education: How They Came to Be. NOVA: Science Publishers, Inc., July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2014: 99-114.
- Steve Chamberlain. "An interview with Virginia Brown: A dynamo with diverse interests. ," Intervention in School and Clinic 50, no. 1 (May 2014): 51-57.
- Hsuying Ward and Steve Chamberlain. M. Ed. in Special Education SPA Program Report. NCATE Reports. Brownsville: February 2014.
- Hsuying Ward, Steve Chamberlain, and Perla Perez. Impact of Academic Language Lab on Beginning Special Education Teachers. Academic Language Lab and Preservice Special Education Teachers' Reflections. .
- Steven Chamberlain, Terry Overton, Mary Curtis, and Hsuying Ward. M.Ed. in Special Education, Educational Diagnostician SPA Program Report. Brownsville, TX: NCATE Report, .
- Hsuying Ward and Steve Chamberlain. "Assessing Practitioners’ Family-Centered Practice Using Teach LIVE Simulation and Self-Assessment," 39th International Conference on Learning Disabilities, Council of Learning Disabilities, Baltimore, Maryland (October 2017)
- Veronica Estrada and Steve Chamberlain. ""Will they stay or will they go?" Responding to the challenge of attracting high school students to the teaching profession," 2nd Annual Critical Issues Conference, Dept. of Organization and School Leadership, South Padre Island, Texas (September 2017)
- Steve Chamberlain. "Using Tenets of PBS, RTI, and Culturally Responsive Assessment to Reduce Inappropriate Referrals to Special Education," Equity Conference: Altering the Level of Consciousness, Region I Education Service Center, South Padre Island (May 2017)
- Steve Chamberlain and Tina Atkins. "Creating Avenues to Teacher Preparation: The Pathways to Teaching Initiative," South Texas Early College High School Conference: A Practitioners’ Perspective, Region I Education Service Center, South Padre Island (April 2017)
- Veronica Estrada and Steve Chamberlain. "Attracting High School Students to Teaching: A P-16 Initiative ," Conference on Academic Research in Education (CARE), Las Vegas, Nevada (January 2017)
- Steve Chamberlain, Alma Rodriguez, Sandra Musanti, and Norma Castillo. "Preparing first year teachers to teach like second year teachers: A University-District collaborative," Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Education, San Marcos, TX (October 2016)
- Steve Chamberlain, Veronica Estrada, and Tina Atkins. "Creating Pathways to Teaching: A University-ESC Partnership," CSOTTE Teacher Education Conference, Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Education, San Marcos, TX (October 2016)
- Hsuying Ward, Steve Chamberlain, and Perla Frias. "LD Teacher Education Model for Developing ESSA Teacher Competencies. ," 38th International Conference on Learning Disabilities, (October 2016)
- Hsuying Ward, Steve Chamberlain, and Susanna Perales. "Engaging Special Education Candidates through Student Organization for Unique Learners.," Texas Council for Exceptional Children Summer Conference, Texas Council for Exceptional Children, Fort Worth, TX (June 2015)
- Hsuying Ward and Steve Chamberlain. "Addressing Low-Income Special Education Minority Parents’ Needs through Service-Learning," CEC Annual Conventions and Expo 2014, Council for Exceptional Children, Philadelphia, PA (April 2015)
- EPSY 6311 01R - Applied Behavior Analysis:
- Course Evaluations
- EDCI 8380 19 - Dissertation:
- Course Evaluations
FALL 2017 MODULE 2
FALL 2017 MODULE 1
SUMMER 2017 MODULE 2
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER 2017 MODULE 1
SPRING 2017 MODULE 2
FALL 2016 MODULE 2
FALL 2016 MODULE 1
SUMMER I 2016