Phone: (956) 665-8059
Dr. Sonia Alianak
Speaks English, French, Armenian, and Arabic, is of Armenian origin, is Full Professor of Political Science at UTRGV, is author of two books on Middle Eastern Politics.
Areas of Expertise
- Interdisciplinary Globalization Studies and their applicability to the Persian Gulf States (both Arab and Iranian) and Nationalism & Localism
- Studies of Leadership in both the Middle East and the United States, covering both male and female leaders
- Health Security in the Middle East and West Asia
- The Gulen Movement
- The Iranian Revolution from Past to Present
- MA, International Relations, American University of Beirut.
- PhD, Government, The University of Texas at Austin, 1987
- BA, Political Science, American University in Cairo, 1963
- sonia alianak. Book Review for CRIA for Book Jean-Pierre Filiu, From deep state to Islamic state: The Arab counter-revolution and its Jihadi legacy, . LONDON CAMBRIDGE: CRIA CAMBRIDGE REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS, no. SPRING 2016 April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016.
- sonia alianak. "Health Care, the Arab Spring and After," ON-LINE AT UTRGV: NETSOL (NEW TRENDS IN SOCIAL AND LIBERAL SCIENCES) 1, no. 2 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016): 1-25.
- sonia alianak. THE TRANSITION TOWARDS REVOLUTION AND REFORM THE ARAB SPRING REALISED? (ON-LINE) . Edinburgh, U.K.: Edinburgh University Press (book publisher), 2015.
- Sonia Alianak. The Transition Towards Revolution and Reform: The Arab Spring Realised?. Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom: Edinburgh University Press, 2014.
- Sonia Alianak. "Obamapower: The Rhetoric, Response, and Reality," Southwestern Journal of Internationalal Studies 5, no. 1 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2012): 1-39.
- Sonia Alianak. "Islamic Mediators and Creators of Grassroots Demands: The GHM Compared to the MB Egypt and MB Jordan," The Gulen Hizmet Movement: Circumspect Activism in Faith Based Reform. August 2012: 91-117.
- Sonia Alianak. Middle Eastern Leaders and Islam: A Precarious Equilibrium. New York: Peter Lang Publishers, 2007.
- Sonia Alianak. "The Mentality of Messianic Assassins," ORBIS: A Journal of World Affairs 44, no. 2 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2000): 283-294.
- Sonia Alianak. "Religion, Politics, and Assassination in the Middle East: The Messianic Model," World Affairs 160, no. 3 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 1998): 163-175.
- Sonia Alianak. "Muammar El Qaddafi and Gamal Abdel Nasser: Comparative Study of Patrimonial Revolutionary Military in the Middle East," Scandinavian Journal of Development Alternatives 14, no. 3 (September 1995): 69-91.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Sonia Alianak. N.D.E.A. Title VI Fellow, University of Texas at Austin, ( )
- Sonia Alianak. Special Arts and Sciences Fellowship (Rockefeller), American University of Beirut, ( )
- Sonia Alianak. University of Texas-Pan American Faculty Research Council Grant, University of Texas-Pan American, ( 1996)
- SONIA ALIANAK. "AMERICAN-LIBYAN RELATIONS," INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM OF MIDDLE EASTERN RELATIONS, ISMER, EDINBURG TEXAS (September 2016)
- sonia alianak. "The Principle of Sovereignty vs. the Principle to Protect," UTRGV CONFERENCE ON SYRIAN DILEMA, UTRGV, EDINBURG TEXAS (November 2015)
- Sonia Alianak and Tom West. "Religion and Revolution: Distant and Recent," The Southwestern Social Science Association Convention, Southwestern International Studies Association, San Antonio, TX (April 2014)
- Sonia Alianak and Alberto Espinoza. "Health Care and the Arab Spring," Social and Behavioral Sciences 8th Annual Research Conference at UTPA, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Edinburg, TX (March 2014)
- Sonia Alianak. "Toward a Populist Leadership Model: The Case of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi," Midwest National Political Science Association Convention, Midwest National Political Science Association, Chicago, IL (April 2013)
- Sonia Alianak. "Comparing the Gullen Movement to the Mulsim Brotherhood," Secularization and Moderate Islam in Contemporary Politics, History Department-UTPA, Edinburg, TX (April 2013)
- Sonia Alianak. "Social Media, Contagion and Mass Mobilization in the Egyptian Revolution," Southwestern Political Science Association Convention, Southwestern Political Science Association, New Orleans, LA (March 2013)
- Sonia Alianak. "Jordanian Monarchy and the Arab Spring: A Reform Model," Midwest National Political Science Association Convention, Midwest National Political Science Association, Chicago, IL (April 2012)
- Sonia Alianak. "Reform in the Middle East," UTPA Panel on Arab Spring, UTPA Panel on Arab Spring, Edinburg, TX (March 2012)
- Sonia Alianak. "Libya War," Political Science Students Association, Political Science Students Association-UTPA, Edinburg, TX (September 2011)
- POLS 4332 01 - International Organizations:
- Course Evaluations
- POLS 2306 01 - TX Gov & Pol:
- Course Evaluations
- POLS 2306 02 - TX Gov & Pol:
- Course Evaluations