Assistant Professor of Research
Phone: (956) 665-6477
Dr. Satish Kumar
Areas of Expertise
- Molecular genetics, stem cell biology
- PhD, Anthropology, University of Delhi, 2003
- MSc, Anthropology, University of Delhi, 1996
- BS, Botany, Zoology, & Chemistry, University of Delhi, 1994
- John Blangero, T Teslovich, X Sim, M Almeida, G Jun, Thomas Dyer, Matthew Johnson, J Peralta, A Manning, A Wood, C Fuchsberger, J Kent, Jr, D Aguilar, J Below, V Farook, Rector Arya, S Fowler, T Blackwell, S Puppala, Satish Kumar, D Glahn, E Moses, Joanne Curran, F Thameem, Christopher Jenkinson, R DeFronzo, D Lehman, C Hanis, G Abecasis, M Boehnke, Harald Goring, Ravindranath Duggirala, and L Almasy. "Omics-squared: human genomic, transcriptomic and phenotypic data for genetic analysis workshop 19.," BMC proceedings 10, no. Suppl 7 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016): 71-77.
- C Fuchsberger, J Flannick, T Teslovich, A Mahajan, V Agarwala, K Gaulton, C Ma, P Fontanillas, L Moutsianas, D McCarthy, M Rivas, J Perry, X Sim, T Blackwell, N Robertson, N Rayner, P Cingolani, A Locke, J Fernandez Tajes, H Highland, J Dupuis, P Chines, C Lindgren, C Hartl, A Jackson, H Chen, J Huyghe, M van de Bunt, R Pearson, A Kumar, M Müller-Nurasyid, N Grarup, H Stringham, E Gamazon, J Lee, Y Chen, R Scott, J Below, P Chen, J Huang, M Go, M Stitzel, D Pasko, S Parker, T Varga, T Green, N Beer, A Day-Williams, T Ferreira, T Fingerlin, M Horikoshi, C Hu, I Huh, M Ikram, B Kim, Y Kim, Y Kim, M Kwon, J Lee, S Lee, K Lin, T Maxwell, Y Nagai, X Wang, R Welch, J Yoon, W Zhang, N Barzilai, B Voight, B Han, Christopher Jenkinson, T Kuulasmaa, J Kuusisto, A Manning, M Ng, N Palmer, B Balkau, A Stancáková, H Abboud, H Boeing, V Giedraitis, D Prabhakaran, O Gottesman, J Scott, J Carey, P Kwan, G Grant, J Smith, B Neale, S Purcell, A Butterworth, J Howson, H Lee, Y Lu, S Kwak, W Zhao, J Danesh, V Lam, K Park, D Saleheen, W So, C Tam, U Afzal, D Aguilar, Rector Arya, T Aung, E Chan, C Navarro, C Cheng, D Palli, A Correa, Joanne Curran, D Rybin, V Farook, S Fowler, B Freedman, M Griswold, D Hale, P Hicks, C Khor, Satish Kumar, B Lehne, D Thuillier, W Lim, J Liu, Y van der Schouw, M Loh, S Musani, S Puppala, W Scott, L Yengo, S Tan, H Taylor, Jr, F Thameem, G Wilson, Sr, T Wong, P Njølstad, J Levy, M Mangino, L Bonnycastle, T Schwarzmayr, J Fadista, G Surdulescu, C Herder, C Groves, T Wieland, J Bork-Jensen, I Brandslund, C Christensen, H Koistinen, A Doney, L Kinnunen, T Esko, A Farmer, L Hakaste, D Hodgkiss, J Kravic, V Lyssenko, M Hollensted, M Jørgensen, T Jørgensen, C Ladenvall, J Justesen, A Käräjämäki, J Kriebel, W Rathmann, L Lannfelt, T Lauritzen, N Narisu, A Linneberg, O Melander, L Milani, M Neville, M Orho-Melander, L Qi, Q Qi, M Roden, O Rolandsson, A Swift, A Rosengren, K Stirrups, A Wood, E Mihailov, C Blancher, M Carneiro, J Maguire, R Poplin, K Shakir, T Fennell, M DePristo, M de Hrabé Angelis, P Deloukas, A Gjesing, G Jun, P Nilsson, J Murphy, R Onofrio, B Thorand, T Hansen, C Meisinger, F Hu, B Isomaa, F Karpe, L Liang, A Peters, C Huth, S O'Rahilly, C Palmer, O Pedersen, R Rauramaa, J Tuomilehto, V Salomaa, R Watanabe, A Syvänen, R Bergman, D Bharadwaj, E Bottinger, Y Cho, G Chandak, J Chan, K Chia, M Daly, S Ebrahim, C Langenberg, P Elliott, K Jablonski, D Lehman, W Jia, R Ma, T Pollin, M Sandhu, N Tandon, P Froguel, I Barroso, Y Teo, E Zeggini, R Loos, K Small, J Ried, R DeFronzo, H Grallert, B Glaser, A Metspalu, N Wareham, M Walker, E Banks, C Gieger, E Ingelsson, H Im, T Illig, P Franks, G Buck, J Trakalo, D Buck, I Prokopenko, R Mägi, L Lind, Y Farjoun, K Owen, A Gloyn, K Strauch, T Tuomi, J Kooner, J Lee, T Park, P Donnelly, A Morris, A Hattersley, D Bowden, F Collins, G Atzmon, J Chambers, T Spector, M Laakso, T Strom, G Bell, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, E Tai, G McVean, C Hanis, J Wilson, M Seielstad, T Frayling, J Meigs, N Cox, R Sladek, E Lander, S Gabriel, N Burtt, K Mohlke, T Meitinger, L Groop, G Abecasis, J Florez, L Scott, A Morris, H Kang, M Boehnke, D Altshuler, and M McCarthy. "The genetic architecture of type 2 diabetes.," Nature 536, no. 7614 (August 2016): 41-7.
- A Nicholson, N Finch, M Almeida, R Perkerson, M van Blitterswijk, A Wojtas, B Cenik, S Rotondo, V Inskeep, L Almasy, Thomas Dyer, J Peralta, G Jun, A Wood, T Frayling, C Fuchsberger, S Fowler, T Teslovich, A Manning, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, G Abecasis, Ravindranath Duggirala, C Pottier, H Zahir, J Crook, A Karydas, L Mitic, Y Sun, D Dickson, G Bu, J Herz, G Yu, B Miller, S Ferguson, R Petersen, N Graff-Radford, John Blangero, and R Rademakers. "Prosaposin is a regulator of progranulin levels and oligomerization.," Nature communications 7, (June 2016): 11992.
- M Traurig, R Hanson, A Marinelarena, S Kobes, P Piaggi, S Cole, Joanne Curran, John Blangero, Harald Goring, Satish Kumar, Robert Nelson, B Howard, W Knowler, L Baier, and C Bogardus. "Analysis of SLC16A11 Variants in 12,811 American Indians: Genotype-Obesity Interaction for Type 2 Diabetes and an Association With RNASEK Expression.," Diabetes 65, no. 2 (February 2016): 510-9.
- Manju Mamtani, Hemant Kulkarni, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, J Neary, S Cole, J Kent, Satish Kumar, D Glahn, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, L Almasy, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and M Carless. "Genome- and epigenome-wide association study of hypertriglyceridemic waist in Mexican American families.," Clinical epigenetics 8, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2016): 6.
- Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, D Glahn, and John Blangero. "Utility of Lymphoblastoid Cell Lines for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Generation.," Stem cells international 2016, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2016): 2349261.
- Rector Arya, I Del Rincon, V Farook, J Restrepo, D Winnier, M Fourcaudot, D Battafarano, M de Almeida, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, Christopher Jenkinson, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and A Escalante. "Genetic Variants Influencing Joint Damage in Mexican Americans and European Americans With Rheumatoid Arthritis.," Genetic epidemiology 39, no. 8 (December 2015): 678-88.
- A Blackburn, M Almeida, A Dean, Joanne Curran, Matthew Johnson, E Moses, L Abraham, M Carless, Thomas Dyer, Satish Kumar, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, Sarah Williams-Blangero, John Blangero, D Lehman, and Harald Goring. "Effects of copy number variable regions on local gene expression in white blood cells of Mexican Americans.," European journal of human genetics : EJHG 23, no. 9 (September 2015): 1229-35.
- D Winnier, M Fourcaudot, L Norton, M Abdul-Ghani, S Hu, V Farook, D Coletta, Satish Kumar, S Puppala, G Chittoor, Thomas Dyer, Rector Arya, M Carless, D Lehman, Joanne Curran, D Cromack, D Tripathy, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, Harald Goring, R DeFronzo, and Christopher Jenkinson. "Transcriptomic identification of ADH1B as a novel candidate gene for obesity and insulin resistance in human adipose tissue in Mexican Americans from the Veterans Administration Genetic Epidemiology Study (VAGES).," PloS one 10, no. 4 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2015): e0119941.
- L Almasy, Thomas Dyer, J Peralta, G Jun, A Wood, C Fuchsberger, M Almeida, J Kent, Jr, S Fowler, T Blackwell, S Puppala, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, G Abecasis, Ravindranath Duggirala, and John Blangero. "Data for Genetic Analysis Workshop 18: human whole genome sequence, blood pressure, and simulated phenotypes in extended pedigrees.," BMC proceedings 8, no. Suppl 1 (June 2014): S2.
- Satish Kumar. "Role of microRNA in LCL to iPSC reprogramming.," HUGO's Human Genome Meeting 2016, Houston, TX (February 2016)
- Satish Kumar. "microRNA profiling of human lymphoblastoid, iPS and neural stem cell lines shows overlapping but distinct expression patterns.," The American Society of Human Genetics Annual Meeting , San Diego, CA (October 2014)
- Satish Kumar. "Experimental depletion and regeneration of human mitochondrial DNA to investigate its role in nuclear gene regulation. ," The American Society of Human Genetics Annual Meeting , San Francisco, CA (November 2012)