Sandra L. Laston
Associate Professor of Research
Phone: (956) 882-7490
Dr. Sandra L. Laston
Areas of Expertise
- Medical anthropology, genetic anthropology, pedigree reconstruction
- PhD, Medical Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, 1992
- MA, Medical Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, 1987
- Diploma, Nursing, Idabelle Firestone School of Nursing, 1972
- G Chittoor, K Haack, N Mehta, Sandra Laston, S Cole, A Comuzzie, N Butte, and V Voruganti. "Genetic variation underlying renal uric acid excretion in Hispanic children: the Viva La Familia Study.," BMC medical genetics 18, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 6.
- P Balakrishnan, D Vaidya, N Franceschini, V Voruganti, M Gribble, K Haack, Sandra Laston, J Umans, K Francesconi, W Goessler, K North, E Lee, J Yracheta, L Best, J MacCluer, J Kent, S Cole, and A Navas-Acien. "Association of Cardiometabolic Genes with Arsenic Metabolism Biomarkers in American Indian Communities: The Strong Heart Family Study (SHFS).," Environmental health perspectives 125, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 15-22.
- I Vazquez-Vidal, G Chittoor, Sandra Laston, S Puppala, Z Kayani, K Mody, A Comuzzie, S Cole, and V Voruganti. "Assessment of cardiovascular disease risk factors in a genetically homogenous population of Parsi Zoroastrians in the United States: A pilot study.," American journal of human biology : the official journal of the Human Biology Council 28, no. 3 (May 2016): 440-3.
- M Gribble, V Voruganti, S Cole, K Haack, P Balakrishnan, Sandra Laston, M Tellez-Plaza, K Francesconi, W Goessler, J Umans, D Thomas, F Gilliland, K North, N Franceschini, and A Navas-Acien. "Linkage Analysis of Urine Arsenic Species Patterns in the Strong Heart Family Study.," Toxicological sciences : an official journal of the Society of Toxicology 148, no. 1 (November 2015): 89-100.
- S Ebbesson, V Voruganti, P Higgins, R Fabsitz, L Ebbesson, Sandra Laston, W Harris, J Kennish, B Umans, H Wang, R Devereux, P Okin, N Weissman, J MacCluer, J Umans, and B Howard. "Fatty acids linked to cardiovascular mortality are associated with risk factors.," International journal of circumpolar health 74, (August 2015): 28055.
- V Voruganti, Sandra Laston, K Haack, N Mehta, S Cole, N Butte, and A Comuzzie. "Serum uric acid concentrations and SLC2A9 genetic variation in Hispanic children: the Viva La Familia Study.," The American journal of clinical nutrition 101, no. 4 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2015): 725-32.
- C Tsai, K North, A Tin, K Haack, N Franceschini, V Saroja Voruganti, Sandra Laston, Y Zhang, L Best, J MacCluer, T Beaty, A Navas-Acien, W Kao, and B Howard. "Both rare and common variants in PCSK9 influence plasma low-density lipoprotein cholesterol level in American Indians.," The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism 100, no. 2 (February 2015): E345-9.
- Sandra Laston, V Voruganti, K Haack, V Shah, A Bobelu, J Bobelu, D Ghahate, A Harford, S Paine, F Tentori, S Cole, J MacCluer, A Comuzzie, and P Zager. "Genetics of kidney disease and related cardiometabolic phenotypes in Zuni Indians: the Zuni Kidney Project.," Frontiers in genetics 6, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2015): 6.
- V Voruganti, P Higgins, R Fabsitz, L Ebbesson, Sandra Laston, W Harris, J Kennish, B Umans, H Wang, R Devereux, P Okin, N Weissman, J MacCluer, J Umans, and B Howard. "Fatty acids linked to cardiovascular mortality are associated with risk factors.," International journal of circumpolar health 74, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2015): 28055.
- N Franceschini, R Tao, L Liu, S Rutherford, K Haack, L Almasy, Harald Goring, Sandra Laston, E Lee, L Best, R Fabsitz, S Cole, and K North. "Mapping of a blood pressure QTL on chromosome 17 in American Indians of the strong heart family study.," BMC cardiovascular disorders 14, (November 2014): 158.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Sandra Laston. Genetic Epidemiology of Ocular Health and Disease, NIH/NEI, (June 1, 2014 - May 31, 2019)