Phone: (956) 665-3428
Dr. Robert Johnson
Dr. Rob Johnson is a Professor of Literatures and Cultural Studies at UTRGV specializing in the study of south Texas literature and the "Beat Generation" writers of the 1950's.
Areas of Expertise
- Beat Generation of Writers
- South Texas Literature
- Cultural Studies
- Creative Nonfiction
- PhD, American Literature, University of Southern California, 1994
- MA, English, The University of Houston, 1988
- BA, English, The University of Texas - Austin, 1983
- Robert Johnson and Robert Casas. "“Re-taking the Universe: Beat Composition Strategies for Undergraduate Students” by Robert Johnson and Robert Casas," The MLA Guide to Teaching Beat Generation Literature. Modern Languages Association, December 2018: 30.
- Robert Johnson. "Did Beatniks Kill John F. Kennedy? Bongo Joe's Requiem for the President," October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2017: 200.
- Robert Johnson and Juan Ochoa. The South Texas Beats. July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2017: 50.
- Christopher Carmona, Robert Johnson, and Chuck Taylor, ed. The Beatest State in the Union: An Anthology of Beat Texas Writing . Beaumont, TX: Lamar University Press, January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2016: 342.
- D Hibar, J Stein, M Renteria, A Arias-Vasquez, S Desrivières, N Jahanshad, R Toro, K Wittfeld, L Abramovic, M Andersson, B Aribisala, N Armstrong, M Bernard, M Bohlken, M Boks, J Bralten, A Brown, M Chakravarty, Q Chen, C Ching, G Cuellar-Partida, A den Braber, S Giddaluru, A Goldman, O Grimm, T Guadalupe, J Hass, G Woldehawariat, A Holmes, M Hoogman, D Janowitz, T Jia, S Kim, M Klein, B Kraemer, P Lee, L Olde Loohuis, M Luciano, C Macare, K Mather, M Mattheisen, Y Milaneschi, K Nho, M Papmeyer, A Ramasamy, S Risacher, R Roiz-Santiañez, E Rose, A Salami, P Sämann, L Schmaal, A Schork, J Shin, L Strike, A Teumer, M van Donkelaar, K van Eijk, R Walters, L Westlye, C Whelan, A Winkler, M Zwiers, S Alhusaini, L Athanasiu, S Ehrlich, M Hakobjan, C Hartberg, U Haukvik, A Heister, D Hoehn, D Kasperaviciute, D Liewald, L Lopez, R Makkinje, M Matarin, M Naber, D McKay, M Needham, A Nugent, B Pütz, N Royle, L Shen, E Sprooten, D Trabzuni, S van der Marel, K van Hulzen, E Walton, C Wolf, L Almasy, D Ames, S Arepalli, A Assareh, M Bastin, H Brodaty, K Bulayeva, M Carless, S Cichon, A Corvin, Joanne Curran, M Czisch, G de Zubicaray, A Dillman, Ravindranath Duggirala, Thomas Dyer, S Erk, I Fedko, L Ferrucci, T Foroud, P Fox, M Fukunaga, J Gibbs, Harald Goring, R Green, S Guelfi, N Hansell, C Hartman, K Hegenscheid, A Heinz, D Hernandez, D Heslenfeld, P Hoekstra, F Holsboer, G Homuth, J Hottenga, M Ikeda, C Jack, Jr, M Jenkinson, Robert Johnson, R Kanai, M Keil, J Kent, Jr, P Kochunov, J Kwok, S Lawrie, X Liu, D Longo, K McMahon, E Meisenzahl, I Melle, S Mohnke, G Montgomery, J Mostert, T Mühleisen, M Nalls, T Nichols, L Nilsson, M Nöthen, K Ohi, R Olvera, R Perez-Iglesias, G Pike, S Potkin, I Reinvang, S Reppermund, M Rietschel, N Romanczuk-Seiferth, G Rosen, D Rujescu, K Schnell, P Schofield, C Smith, V Steen, J Sussmann, A Thalamuthu, A Toga, B Traynor, J Troncoso, J Turner, M Valdés Hernández, D van 't Ent, M van der Brug, N van der Wee, M van Tol, D Veltman, T Wassink, E Westman, R Zielke, A Zonderman, D Ashbrook, R Hager, L Lu, F McMahon, D Morris, R Williams, H Brunner, R Buckner, J Buitelaar, W Cahn, V Calhoun, G Cavalleri, B Crespo-Facorro, A Dale, G Davies, N Delanty, C Depondt, S Djurovic, W Drevets, T Espeseth, R Gollub, B Ho, W Hoffmann, N Hosten, R Kahn, S Le Hellard, A Meyer-Lindenberg, B Müller-Myhsok, M Nauck, L Nyberg, M Pandolfo, B Penninx, J Roffman, S Sisodiya, J Smoller, H van Bokhoven, N van Haren, H Völzke, H Walter, M Weiner, W Wen, T White, I Agartz, O Andreassen, John Blangero, D Boomsma, R Brouwer, D Cannon, M Cookson, E de Geus, I Deary, G Donohoe, G Fernández, S Fisher, C Francks, D Glahn, H Grabe, O Gruber, J Hardy, R Hashimoto, H Hulshoff Pol, E Jönsson, I Kloszewska, S Lovestone, V Mattay, P Mecocci, C McDonald, A McIntosh, R Ophoff, T Paus, Z Pausova, M Ryten, P Sachdev, A Saykin, A Simmons, A Singleton, H Soininen, J Wardlaw, M Weale, D Weinberger, H Adams, L Launer, S Seiler, R Schmidt, G Chauhan, C Satizabal, J Becker, L Yanek, S van der Lee, M Ebling, B Fischl, W Longstreth, Jr, D Greve, H Schmidt, P Nyquist, L Vinke, C van Duijn, L Xue, B Mazoyer, J Bis, V Gudnason, S Seshadri, M Ikram, N Martin, M Wright, G Schumann, B Franke, P Thompson, and S Medland. "Common genetic variants influence human subcortical brain structures.," Nature 520, no. 7546 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2015): 224-9.
- Robert Johnson and Deborah Cole. "‘How to tame a wild tongue’: Gloria Anzaldúa’s Borderlands/La Frontera and the 1960s-era speech test and speech classes at Pan American College.," Rio Bravo: A Journal of the Borderlands (2014).
- Robert Johnson. “The Beatest State in the Union”: Texas Writers and the “Beat” Generation ” . Lamar University Press , 2014.
- Robert Johnson. New Border: An anthology of writing from the Texas/Mexico Border . Texas A and M University Press, 2013.
- Robert Johnson. “Creating a Self-Conscious Literary World in South Texas” . Donna, Texas/VAO Publishing: Along the River 2: More Voices from the Rio Grande/VAO Publishing, 2012: 45/60.
- Robert Johnson. “Did Beatniks Kill John F. Kennedy?” . Beat Studies Association Journal, 2012.
- Robert Johnson. "Did Beatniks Kill John F. Kennedy," Lecture Series, Edinburg Public Library, Edinburg, Texas (March 2017)
- Deborah Cole and Robert Johnson. "The proliferation of wild tongues: What sociolinguistics can still learn from Gloria Anzaldúa," Conference on Spanish in the United States, Edinburg/McAllen, Texas (2013)
- Robert Johnson and Deborah Cole. "How to tame a wild tongue: The history of the required speech tests at the University or Texas Pan American," National Association for the Chicana and Chicano Studies, Tejas, Edinburg, Texas (2013)
- Robert Johnson. "“How To Tame a Wild Tongue: Documents Relating to the ‘Speech Test’ at Pan American College ” ," “El Retorno: Gloria Anzaldúa’s Geographies of the Soul." , UTPA (2012)
- Robert Johnson. "“Did Beatniks Kill John F. Kennedy?” ," International Beat Poetry Festival, Texas A and M University (2011)
- Robert Johnson. "“Did Beatniks Kill John F. Kennedy?” ," American Literature Association, San Francisco, California (May 2010)
- Robert Johnson. "“Beat Texas ” ," Texas State Historical Association, El Paso, Texas (March 2010)
- Robert Johnson. "“Old Wizard Arch ” ," The Conference of the Beat Studies Association, Chicago, Illinois (April 2009)
- Robert Johnson. "“Wise Blood and On the Road ” ," Texas and Southwest Popular Culture Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico (February 2008)
- Robert Johnson. "“Writing Beat Biography” ," Texas Book Festival, (2007)
- ENGL 4300 01 - 1968: Literature and Culture:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 2326 01 - Intro to Am Lit:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 2326 02 - Intro to Am Lit:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER I 2017
SUMMER I 2016