Assistant Professor of Research
Phone: (956) 665-6476
Dr. Rector Arya
My research focuses on the mapping of genes influencing common complex diseases and their related quantitative traits such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, birth weight, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, diabetic nephropathy, metabolic syndrome, and gallbladder disease using data from the Mexican American families.
Areas of Expertise
- Genetic Epidemiology, Genetics including statistical genetics, population genetics, and quantitative genetics
- His areas of expertise include (a) the study of genetic and environmental factors and their interactions influencing complex diseases in Mexican American children and adults, and (b) identification of disease susceptibility genes using analytical tools such as genome-wide linkage and association analyses, and candidate gene studies.
- genetic epidemiologival studies of obesity, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and other cardiovascular risk factors
- anthropology including anthropological genetics of human populations, human growth, human variation and evolution; and nutrition
- biostatistics and bioinformatics
- PhD, Biological Anthropology , University of Kansas, 1999
- MEd, Education, Annamalai University, 1990
- MA, Anthropology, Andhra University, 1982
- Rector Arya, Agustin Escalante, Vidya Farook, Jose Restrepo, Daniel Battafarano, Marcio Almeida, Mark Kos, Marcel Fourcaudot, Srinivas Mummidi, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, Christopher Jenkinson, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and Inmaculada del Rincon. "A genetic association study of carotid intima-media thickness (CIMT) and plaque in Mexican Americans and European Americans with rheumatoid arthritis," Atherosclerosis 271, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2018): 92-101.
- Rector Arya, Agustin Escalante, Vidya Farook, Jose Restrepo, Daniel Battafarano, Marcio Almeida, Mark Kos, Marcel Fourcaudot, Srinivas Mummidi, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, Christopher Jenkinson, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and Inmaculada del Rincon. "Data on genetic associations of carotid atherosclerosis markers in Mexican American and European American rheumatoid arthritis subjects," Data in Brief 17, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2018): 820-829.
- V Farook, L Reddivari, Srinivas Mummidi, S Puppala, Rector Arya, Juan Alvarenga, S Fowler, G Chittoor, R Resendez, B Kumar, A Comuzzie, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, Christopher Jenkinson, J Lynch, R DeFronzo, John Blangero, D Hale, Ravindranath Duggirala, and J Vanamala. "Genetics of serum carotenoid concentrations and their correlation with obesity-related traits in Mexican American children.," The American journal of clinical nutrition (May 2017).
- John Blangero, T Teslovich, X Sim, M Almeida, G Jun, Thomas Dyer, Matthew Johnson, J Peralta, A Manning, A Wood, C Fuchsberger, J Kent, Jr, D Aguilar, J Below, V Farook, Rector Arya, S Fowler, T Blackwell, S Puppala, Satish Kumar, D Glahn, E Moses, Joanne Curran, F Thameem, Christopher Jenkinson, R DeFronzo, D Lehman, C Hanis, G Abecasis, M Boehnke, Harald Goring, Ravindranath Duggirala, and L Almasy. "Omics-squared: human genomic, transcriptomic and phenotypic data for genetic analysis workshop 19.," BMC proceedings 10, no. Suppl 7 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016): 71-77.
- C Fuchsberger, J Flannick, T Teslovich, A Mahajan, V Agarwala, K Gaulton, C Ma, P Fontanillas, L Moutsianas, D McCarthy, M Rivas, J Perry, X Sim, T Blackwell, N Robertson, N Rayner, P Cingolani, A Locke, J Fernandez Tajes, H Highland, J Dupuis, P Chines, C Lindgren, C Hartl, A Jackson, H Chen, J Huyghe, M van de Bunt, R Pearson, A Kumar, M Müller-Nurasyid, N Grarup, H Stringham, E Gamazon, J Lee, Y Chen, R Scott, J Below, P Chen, J Huang, M Go, M Stitzel, D Pasko, S Parker, T Varga, T Green, N Beer, A Day-Williams, T Ferreira, T Fingerlin, M Horikoshi, C Hu, I Huh, M Ikram, B Kim, Y Kim, Y Kim, M Kwon, J Lee, S Lee, K Lin, T Maxwell, Y Nagai, X Wang, R Welch, J Yoon, W Zhang, N Barzilai, B Voight, B Han, Christopher Jenkinson, T Kuulasmaa, J Kuusisto, A Manning, M Ng, N Palmer, B Balkau, A Stancáková, H Abboud, H Boeing, V Giedraitis, D Prabhakaran, O Gottesman, J Scott, J Carey, P Kwan, G Grant, J Smith, B Neale, S Purcell, A Butterworth, J Howson, H Lee, Y Lu, S Kwak, W Zhao, J Danesh, V Lam, K Park, D Saleheen, W So, C Tam, U Afzal, D Aguilar, Rector Arya, T Aung, E Chan, C Navarro, C Cheng, D Palli, A Correa, Joanne Curran, D Rybin, V Farook, S Fowler, B Freedman, M Griswold, D Hale, P Hicks, C Khor, Satish Kumar, B Lehne, D Thuillier, W Lim, J Liu, Y van der Schouw, M Loh, S Musani, S Puppala, W Scott, L Yengo, S Tan, H Taylor, Jr, F Thameem, G Wilson, Sr, T Wong, P Njølstad, J Levy, M Mangino, L Bonnycastle, T Schwarzmayr, J Fadista, G Surdulescu, C Herder, C Groves, T Wieland, J Bork-Jensen, I Brandslund, C Christensen, H Koistinen, A Doney, L Kinnunen, T Esko, A Farmer, L Hakaste, D Hodgkiss, J Kravic, V Lyssenko, M Hollensted, M Jørgensen, T Jørgensen, C Ladenvall, J Justesen, A Käräjämäki, J Kriebel, W Rathmann, L Lannfelt, T Lauritzen, N Narisu, A Linneberg, O Melander, L Milani, M Neville, M Orho-Melander, L Qi, Q Qi, M Roden, O Rolandsson, A Swift, A Rosengren, K Stirrups, A Wood, E Mihailov, C Blancher, M Carneiro, J Maguire, R Poplin, K Shakir, T Fennell, M DePristo, M de Hrabé Angelis, P Deloukas, A Gjesing, G Jun, P Nilsson, J Murphy, R Onofrio, B Thorand, T Hansen, C Meisinger, F Hu, B Isomaa, F Karpe, L Liang, A Peters, C Huth, S O'Rahilly, C Palmer, O Pedersen, R Rauramaa, J Tuomilehto, V Salomaa, R Watanabe, A Syvänen, R Bergman, D Bharadwaj, E Bottinger, Y Cho, G Chandak, J Chan, K Chia, M Daly, S Ebrahim, C Langenberg, P Elliott, K Jablonski, D Lehman, W Jia, R Ma, T Pollin, M Sandhu, N Tandon, P Froguel, I Barroso, Y Teo, E Zeggini, R Loos, K Small, J Ried, R DeFronzo, H Grallert, B Glaser, A Metspalu, N Wareham, M Walker, E Banks, C Gieger, E Ingelsson, H Im, T Illig, P Franks, G Buck, J Trakalo, D Buck, I Prokopenko, R Mägi, L Lind, Y Farjoun, K Owen, A Gloyn, K Strauch, T Tuomi, J Kooner, J Lee, T Park, P Donnelly, A Morris, A Hattersley, D Bowden, F Collins, G Atzmon, J Chambers, T Spector, M Laakso, T Strom, G Bell, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, E Tai, G McVean, C Hanis, J Wilson, M Seielstad, T Frayling, J Meigs, N Cox, R Sladek, E Lander, S Gabriel, N Burtt, K Mohlke, T Meitinger, L Groop, G Abecasis, J Florez, L Scott, A Morris, H Kang, M Boehnke, D Altshuler, and M McCarthy. "The genetic architecture of type 2 diabetes.," Nature 536, no. 7614 (August 2016): 41-7.
- Christopher Jenkinson, Harald Goring, Rector Arya, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and R DeFronzo. "Transcriptomics in type 2 diabetes: Bridging the gap between genotype and phenotype.," Genomics data 8, (December 2015): 25-36.
- Rector Arya, I Del Rincon, V Farook, J Restrepo, D Winnier, M Fourcaudot, D Battafarano, M de Almeida, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, Christopher Jenkinson, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and A Escalante. "Genetic Variants Influencing Joint Damage in Mexican Americans and European Americans With Rheumatoid Arthritis.," Genetic epidemiology 39, no. 8 (December 2015): 678-88.
- R Rubicz, R Yolken, E Drigalenko, M Carless, Thomas Dyer, J Kent, Jr, Joanne Curran, Matthew Johnson, S Cole, S Fowler, Rector Arya, S Puppala, L Almasy, E Moses, E Kraig, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, C Leach, and Harald Goring. "Genome-wide genetic investigation of serological measures of common infections.," European journal of human genetics : EJHG 23, no. 11 (November 2015): 1544-8.
- V Farook, L Reddivari, G Chittoor, S Puppala, Rector Arya, S Fowler, K Hunt, Joanne Curran, A Comuzzie, D Lehman, Christopher Jenkinson, J Lynch, R DeFronzo, John Blangero, D Hale, Ravindranath Duggirala, and J Vanamala. "Metabolites as novel biomarkers for childhood obesity-related traits in Mexican-American children.," Pediatric obesity 10, no. 4 (August 2015): 320-7.
- D Winnier, M Fourcaudot, L Norton, M Abdul-Ghani, S Hu, V Farook, D Coletta, Satish Kumar, S Puppala, G Chittoor, Thomas Dyer, Rector Arya, M Carless, D Lehman, Joanne Curran, D Cromack, D Tripathy, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, Harald Goring, R DeFronzo, and Christopher Jenkinson. "Transcriptomic identification of ADH1B as a novel candidate gene for obesity and insulin resistance in human adipose tissue in Mexican Americans from the Veterans Administration Genetic Epidemiology Study (VAGES).," PloS one 10, no. 4 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2015): e0119941.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Rector Arya. Genetics of Type 2 Diabetes in Indian Populations: US-India Collaboration Project, NIH/NIDDK, (April 1, 2016 - March 31, 2018)
- Rector Arya. Discovery of Functional Variants in Type 2 Diabetes Genes in Mexican Americans, NIH/NIDDK, (May 1, 2015 - April 30, 2016)
- Rector Arya, Ravindranath Duggirala, Jeff Williams, Laura Almasy, and John Blangero. "Power to localize the major gene for disease liability is increased after accounting for the effects of related quantitative phenotypes," Genetic Analysis Workshop 12, Genetic Analysis Worksh, San Antonio (October 2000)
- Rector Arya, K Williams, Peter O'Connell, John Blangero, Michael Stern, and Ravindranath Duggirala. "Peripheral Artery Calcification (PAC) Predicts Coronary Artery Calcification CAC) in Predialysis Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) due to Type 2 Diabetic Nephropathy (DN)," The American Diabetes Association 60th Scientific Sessions, American Diabetes Association, San Antonio (June 2000)
- Rector Arya, Ravindranath Duggirala, Laura Almasy, Michael Stern, Peter O'Connell, and John Blangero. "Strong evidence for linkage of high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) concentrations to a genetic location on chromosome 9p in Mexican Americans," American Society of Human Genetics, American Society of Human Genetics, San Francisco (October 1999)