Phone: (956) 665-6456
Dr. Ravindranath Duggirala
The major focus of Dr. Duggirala’s research activities rests on understanding the genetic and environmental basis of common complex diseases (e.g., obesity and diabetes) and their related quantitative traits.
Areas of Expertise
- Genetic Epidemiology, Statistical Genetics & Anthropological Genetics
- Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolic Syndrome
- Gallbladder Disease, Birth Weight and Adult Diseases
- Tuberculosis and Children Health
- Minority Health
- PhD, Anthropology, University of Kansas, 1995
- MA, Anthropology, University of Montana, 1991
- MS, Human Genetics & Physical Anthropology, Andhra University, 1978
- BS, Zoology, Botany, & Chemistry, Andhra Christian College, 1976
- M Ramstetter, Thomas Dyer, D Lehman, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, J Mezey, and A Williams. "Benchmarking Relatedness Inference Methods with Genome-Wide Data from Thousands of Relatives.," Genetics 207, no. 1 (September 2017): 75-82.
- M Romero-Ibarguengoitia, A Herrera-Rosas, A Domínguez-Mota, J Camas-Benitez, M Serratos-Canales, M León-Hernández, A González-Chávez, E López-Ortiz, Srinivas Mummidi, Ravindranath Duggirala, and Juan Alvarenga. "Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease can be predicted by retinal vascular changes in patients with obesity without hypertension or diabetes.," European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology 29, no. 8 (August 2017): 962-967.
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, G Wong, J Weir, C Barlow, Thomas Dyer, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Meikle, John Blangero, and Joanne Curran. "Genetic correlation of the plasma lipidome with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and insulin resistance in Mexican American families.," BMC genetics 18, no. 1 (May 2017): 48.
- V Farook, L Reddivari, Srinivas Mummidi, S Puppala, Rector Arya, Juan Alvarenga, S Fowler, G Chittoor, R Resendez, B Kumar, A Comuzzie, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, Christopher Jenkinson, J Lynch, R DeFronzo, John Blangero, D Hale, Ravindranath Duggirala, and J Vanamala. "Genetics of serum carotenoid concentrations and their correlation with obesity-related traits in Mexican American children.," The American journal of clinical nutrition (May 2017).
- K Hodgson, M Carless, Hemant Kulkarni, Joanne Curran, E Sprooten, E Knowles, S Mathias, N Yao, R Olvera, P Fox, L Almasy, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and D Glahn. "Epigenetic Age Acceleration Assessed with Human White-Matter Images.," The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience 37, no. 18 (May 2017): 4735-4743.
- E Knowles, P Meikle, K Huynh, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "Serum phosphatidylinositol as a biomarker for bipolar disorder liability.," Bipolar disorders 19, no. 2 (March 2017): 107-115.
- L Perez-Navarro, B Restrepo, F Fuentes-Dominguez, Ravindranath Duggirala, J Morales-Romero, J López-Alvarenga, I Comas, and R Zenteno-Cuevas. "The effect size of type 2 diabetes mellitus on tuberculosis drug resistance and adverse treatment outcomes.," Tuberculosis (Edinburgh, Scotland) 103, (March 2017): 83-91.
- E Knowles, K Huynh, P Meikle, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "The lipidome in major depressive disorder: Shared genetic influence for ether-phosphatidylcholines, a plasma-based phenotype related to inflammation, and disease risk.," European psychiatry : the journal of the Association of European Psychiatrists 43, (February 2017): 44-50.
- D Hibar, H Adams, N Jahanshad, G Chauhan, J Stein, E Hofer, M Renteria, J Bis, A Arias-Vasquez, M Ikram, S Desrivières, M Vernooij, L Abramovic, S Alhusaini, N Amin, M Andersson, K Arfanakis, B Aribisala, N Armstrong, L Athanasiu, T Axelsson, A Beecham, A Beiser, M Bernard, S Blanton, M Bohlken, M Boks, J Bralten, A Brickman, O Carmichael, M Chakravarty, Q Chen, C Ching, V Chouraki, G Cuellar-Partida, F Crivello, A Den Braber, N Doan, S Ehrlich, S Giddaluru, A Goldman, R Gottesman, O Grimm, M Griswold, T Guadalupe, B Gutman, J Hass, U Haukvik, D Hoehn, A Holmes, M Hoogman, D Janowitz, T Jia, K Jørgensen, N Karbalai, D Kasperaviciute, S Kim, M Klein, B Kraemer, P Lee, D Liewald, L Lopez, M Luciano, C Macare, A Marquand, M Matarin, K Mather, M Mattheisen, D McKay, Y Milaneschi, S Muñoz Maniega, K Nho, A Nugent, P Nyquist, L Loohuis, J Oosterlaan, M Papmeyer, L Pirpamer, B Pütz, A Ramasamy, J Richards, S Risacher, R Roiz-Santiañez, N Rommelse, S Ropele, E Rose, N Royle, T Rundek, P Sämann, A Saremi, C Satizabal, L Schmaal, A Schork, L Shen, J Shin, E Shumskaya, A Smith, E Sprooten, L Strike, A Teumer, D Tordesillas-Gutierrez, R Toro, D Trabzuni, S Trompet, D Vaidya, J Van der Grond, S Van der Lee, D Van der Meer, M Van Donkelaar, K Van Eijk, T Van Erp, D Van Rooij, E Walton, L Westlye, C Whelan, B Windham, A Winkler, K Wittfeld, G Woldehawariat, C Wolf, T Wolfers, L Yanek, J Yang, A Zijdenbos, M Zwiers, I Agartz, L Almasy, D Ames, P Amouyel, O Andreassen, S Arepalli, A Assareh, S Barral, M Bastin, D Becker, J Becker, D Bennett, John Blangero, H van Bokhoven, D Boomsma, H Brodaty, R Brouwer, H Brunner, R Buckner, J Buitelaar, K Bulayeva, W Cahn, V Calhoun, D Cannon, G Cavalleri, CY Cheng, S Cichon, M Cookson, A Corvin, B Crespo-Facorro, Joanne Curran, M Czisch, A Dale, G Davies, A De Craen, E De Geus, P De Jager, G De Zubicaray, I Deary, S Debette, C DeCarli, N Delanty, C Depondt, A DeStefano, A Dillman, S Djurovic, G Donohoe, W Drevets, Ravindranath Duggirala, Thomas Dyer, C Enzinger, S Erk, T Espeseth, I Fedko, G Fernández, L Ferrucci, S Fisher, D Fleischman, I Ford, M Fornage, T Foroud, P Fox, C Francks, M Fukunaga, J Gibbs, D Glahn, R Gollub, Harald Goring, R Green, O Gruber, V Gudnason, S Guelfi, A Håberg, N Hansell, J Hardy, C Hartman, R Hashimoto, K Hegenscheid, A Heinz, S Le Hellard, D Hernandez, D Heslenfeld, B Ho, P Hoekstra, W Hoffmann, A Hofman, F Holsboer, G Homuth, N Hosten, J Hottenga, M Huentelman, H Pol, M Ikeda, C Jack, Jr, M Jenkinson, R Johnson, E Jönsson, J Jukema, R Kahn, R Kanai, I Kloszewska, D Knopman, P Kochunov, J Kwok, S Lawrie, H Lemaître, X Liu, D Longo, O Lopez, S Lovestone, O Martinez, J Martinot, V Mattay, C McDonald, A McIntosh, F McMahon, K McMahon, P Mecocci, I Melle, A Meyer-Lindenberg, S Mohnke, G Montgomery, D Morris, T Mosley, T Mühleisen, B Müller-Myhsok, M Nalls, M Nauck, T Nichols, W Niessen, M Nöthen, L Nyberg, K Ohi, R Olvera, R Ophoff, M Pandolfo, T Paus, Z Pausova, B Penninx, G Pike, S Potkin, B Psaty, S Reppermund, M Rietschel, J Roffman, N Romanczuk-Seiferth, J Rotter, M Ryten, R Sacco, P Sachdev, A Saykin, R Schmidt, H Schmidt, P Schofield, S Sigursson, A Simmons, A Singleton, S Sisodiya, C Smith, J Smoller, H Soininen, V Steen, D Stott, J Sussmann, A Thalamuthu, A Toga, B Traynor, J Troncoso, M Tsolaki, C Tzourio, A Uitterlinden, M Hernández, M Van der Brug, A van der Lugt, N van der Wee, N Van Haren, D van 't Ent, M Van Tol, B Vardarajan, B Vellas, D Veltman, H Völzke, H Walter, J Wardlaw, T Wassink, M Weale, D Weinberger, M Weiner, W Wen, E Westman, T White, T Wong, C Wright, R Zielke, A Zonderman, N Martin, C Van Duijn, M Wright, W Longstreth, G Schumann, H Grabe, B Franke, L Launer, S Medland, S Seshadri, P Thompson, and M Ikram. "Novel genetic loci associated with hippocampal volume.," Nature communications 8, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 13624.
- K Hodgson, L Almasy, E Knowles, J Kent, Jr, Joanne Curran, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, R Olvera, M Woolsey, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Fox, John Blangero, and D Glahn. "The genetic basis of the comorbidity between cannabis use and major depression.," Addiction (Abingdon, England) 112, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 113-123.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Discovery of functional variants in type 2 diabetes genes in Mexican Americans, NIH/NIDDK 2 U01 DK085524, (September 9, 2009 - April 30, 2020)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Genetics of type 2 diabetes in Indian Populations: US-India collaboration project, NIH/NIDDK 1R21 DK 105913, (April 8, 2016 - March 31, 2018)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Whole genome sequencing to identify causal genetic variants influcencing CVD risk, NIH/NHLBI 1R01 HL113323, (April 1, 2012 - March 31, 2017)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Effect of chronic inflammation on atheroscierosis outcome in RA, NIH/NHLBI 1R01 HL085742-01-A2, (March 13, 2008 - February 29, 2016)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Genetics of brain structure and function, NIH/NIMH 5R01 MH078111, (January 1, 2013 - January 31, 2016)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Gene networks for differential risk of kidney damage by long-term diabetes, NIH/NIDDK 1R01 DK084289-01A2, (September 20, 2011 - June 30, 2015)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Discovery of functional variants in type 2 diabetes genes in Mexican Americans, NIH/NIDDK 5 U01 DK085524, (September 20, 2009 - April 30, 2015)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. The disablement process in rheumatoid arthritis, NIH/NICHD 5R01 HD037151-06A2, (August 1, 2007 - July 31, 2014)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Genetics of atheroscierosis in Mexican Americans, NIH/NHLIBI 5P01 HL045522-20, (June 1, 2008 - March 31, 2014)
- Ravindranath Duggirala. Genetics of brain structure and function: Genome-Wide Association, NIH/NIMH 1R01 MH083824, (October 8, 2008 - February 28, 2014)
- Rector Arya, Ravindranath Duggirala, Jeff Williams, Laura Almasy, and John Blangero. "Power to localize the major gene for disease liability is increased after accounting for the effects of related quantitative phenotypes," Genetic Analysis Workshop 12, Genetic Analysis Worksh, San Antonio (October 2000)