Phone: (956) 665-3487
Dr. Ralph Carlson
I graduated in Psychology from Drake University in De Moines Iowa in 1963 and then received my MA and PhD in Psychology from the University of Houston in 1967 and 1974. I currently teach at the Department of Educational Psychology at UTRGV.
- PhD, Psychology/Quantitative methods and clinical (APA approved), The University of Houston, 1974
- MA, Psychology/Quantitative methods and clinical (APA approved), The University of Houston, 1967
- BA, Psychology/Statistics, Drake University, 1963
- Gregory Sparrow, and Ralph Carlson. "Assessing the perceived differences in post-galantamine lucid dreams vs. non-galantamine lucid dreams," International Journal of Dream Research 9, no. 1 (2016).
- Mounir Ben Ghalia, Ralph Carlson, Veronica Estrada, Hasina Huq, and Jaime Ramos. "Engaging K-12 Teachers in Engineering Through a Professional Development Program: Implementation Strategies, Results and Lessons Learned," Erie, PA: Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016: 1-7.
- Gregory Sparrow and Ralph Carlson. "Assessing the perceived differences in post-galantamine lucid dreams vs. non-galantamine lucid dreams," International Journal of Dream Research 6, no. 1 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016).
- Gregory Sparrow, M Thurston, and Ralph Carlson. "Dream Reliving and Meditation as to a way to Enhance Reflectiveness and Constructive Engagement in Dreams. ," International Journal of Dream Research 6, no. 2 (2013).
- Gregory Sparrow, Ralph Carlson, "Dream reliving and meditation as a way to enhance reflectiveness and constructive engagement in dreams," Univ. of Heidelberg: International Journal of Dream Research 6, no. 2 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2013).
- D Rios, and D Chebotko. "Improving STEM Education in Research: Preliminary Report on the Development of a Computer-Assisted Student-Mentor Research Community.," Creative Education (2012).
- David Rios, Artem Chebotko, Christine Reilly, Ralph Carlson, Emmett Tomai, Amy Weimer, Nicholas Weimer, Thomas Pearson, Francis Andoh-Baidoo, Robert Wrinkle, David Ammons, and Joanne Rampersad. "Improving STEM Education in Research: Preliminary Report on the Development of a Computer-Assisted Student-Mentor Research Community," Creative Education 03, no. 05 (March 2012): 612-618.
- S Ramirez, S Jain, L Flores-Torres, R Perez, and Ralph Carlson. "The Effects of Cuento Therapy on Reading Achievement and Psychological Outcomes of Mexican-American Students," Professional School Counseling 12, no. 3 (February 2009): 253-262.
- N Glover-Graf, C Blankenship, G Sanchez, and Ralph Carlson. "Living on the line: Mexican and Mexican American Attitudes towards Disability," Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin 50, no. 3 (2007): 153-165.
- P Anderson, Ralph Carlson, and H Mejias. "Attitudes toward Spanish Language Maintenance of Shift in the Lower Rio Grande Valley," International Journal of Sociology of Language 158, (2003): 121-140.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Gregory Sparrow. Exploring the Effects of Galantamine Paired with Meditation and Dream Reliving on Recalled Dreams, DreamScience Foundation, $1,950.00 (December 1, 2016 - December 31, 2017)
- John Trant. UTPA/UTRGV HHMI Leaders in Research Program, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, $1,200,000.00 (September 1, 2012 - August 31, 2017)
- Ralph Carlson. Nevarez Research Fellow, $7,500.00 (2010 - 2011)
- Ralph Carlson. Psychometric Theory Research, CCF, $18,000.00 (2004 - 2005)
- Ralph Carlson. Sociocultural and linguistic variables which account or explain Hispanic family participation in communities and schools, Kellogg Foundation, $72,000.00 (2001 - 2005)
- Ralph Carlson. Writing to read: A longitudinal experimental study, Woods Foundation and IBM Corporation, $53,000.00 (2001 - 2005)
- Ralph Carlson. Collaborative Initiative to Attract Underrepresented Students to Agricultural and Food Science Careers, USDA, $299,730.00 (2001 - 2004)
- Ralph Carlson. Fulbright Senior Scholar to Brazil in Psychology-Quantitative Science, $35,000.00 (2002 - 2003)
- Alma Rodriguez and Ralph Carlson. "Deriving Psychometric Properties for the Teacher's Dispositions Scale," Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Education, Corpus Christi, TX (October 2017)
- Ralph Carlson, R Flores, C Vang, Hilda Medrano, A Molina, and D Pizana. "Reading Achievement and Children from Disease Sociocultural and Linguistic Background," International Congress of Psychology Conference, International Congress of Psychology, Yokohama, Japan (July 2016)
- Ralph Carlson, Hilda Medrano, H Barboza, J Chung, and A Molina. "Sociocultural-Linguistic Diversity and Performance on Nested Multilevel Measures," International Psychometric Society, International Psychometric Society, Beijing, China (July 2015)
- Gregory Sparrow, R Hurd, and Ralph Carlson. "Ascertaining the Retrospective Perceived Difference Between Post-Galantamine Lucid Dreams and Non-Galantamine Use Lucid Dreams," Annual Conference the International Association for the Study of Dreams, International Association for the Study of Dreams, Virginia Beach, VA (June 2015)
- Gregory Sparrow and Ralph Carlson. "Survey for Ascertaining the Subjective Differences Between Lucid Dreams Preceded by the Ingestion of Galantamine and Those Not Preceded by Galantamine," Annual Conference the International Association for the Study of Dreams, Virginia Beach, June, 2015, IASD, Virginia Beach, VA (June 2015)
- Ralph Carlson, Hilda Medrano, J Barboza, J Chung, and Y Molina. "Two Groups of Rapists’ Performance on the MMPI-2 Clinical Scale. 27th," Association for Psychological Science Annual Convention, Association for Psychological Science, New York, NY (May 2015)
- Ralph Carlson, J Barboza, Hilda Medrano, and H Flores. " Linguistic and Socio-Cultural Diversity and Nested/Hierarchical Measures.," International Congress of Applied Psychology, Applied Psychology, Paris, FR (July 2014)
- Courtney Galle, Joanne Rampersad-Ammons, Liang Zeng, Amy Weimer, Dan Plas Plas, Ralph Carlson, Tim Sears, Jessica Lavariega Monforti, Christina Villalobos, and Moyra Ruiz. "Determining the Impact of Mobile Laboratory Visits on Student Learning.," Mobile Laboratory Coalition Meeting June 24-27 2014, , Mobile Laboratory Coalition, Modesto, California (June 2014)
- Ralph Carlson, Hilda Medrano, J Barbosa, R Ramos, Y Chung, and A Sesin. "Performance of Rapists on the MMPI-2. ," 26th Association for Psychological Science Annual Convention, Association for Psychological Science, San Francisco, CA (May 2014)
- Nancy Razo, Diana Ruiz, and Ralph Carlson. "The Role of the Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (LSSP)," Region One Education Service Center Special Education Directors' Meeting, Region One ESC, Edinburg, Texas (December 2013)
- EPSY 6358 01 - Introduction to Research:
- Course Evaluations
- EPSY 6352 01 - Multivariate Analysis:
- Course Evaluations
- EPSY 6350 01 - Intro to Statistics:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER II 2018
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER I 2017
SUMMER I 2016