Phillip R. Dukes
Phone: (956) 882-6659
Dr. Phillip R. Dukes
Areas of Expertise
- Quantum Information
- K-12 Science Teacher Development
- PhD, Physics, Brigham Young University, 1996
- BS, Physics, Brigham Young University, 1987
- Phillip Dukes. "Quantum state revivals in quantum walks on cycles," Results in Physics 4, (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016): 189-197.
- Phillip Dukes, Luisa Fernanda, and Zambrano Marin. "World Space Week 2013: Exploring Mars, Discovering Earth," adAstra, 2013: 40-41.
- Phillip Dukes and Dan Bruton. "A GeoWall with Physics and Astronomy Applications," The Physics Teacher, 46, no. 3 2008: 180-183.
- Phillip Dukes. "An Inexpensive Resonance Demonstration," Journal of College Science Teaching, 34, no. 4 2005: 68-70.
- Adrienne Zermeno, Phillip Dukes, and Ruth Hunter. "University Connections to Improve Science Education," Tercera Conferencia Internacional La Ciencia En La Educatión Báscia., 2005.
- Phillip Dukes, David Pritchard, and Elsa Morote. "Inductive Influence of Related Quantitative and Conceptual Problems II.," New Orleans.: Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC), ED463978, National Association for Research in Science Teaching - NARST - 2002 Conference, 2002.
- Phillip Dukes and David Pritchard. "Inductive Influence of Related Quantitative and Conceptual Problems.," Invited paper for the Proceedings of the 2001 Physics Education Research Conference, 2001: 53-56.
- Phillip Dukes. "Colors and Light, Refraction of Light, and Thin Lens and Mirrors ," Contemporary College Physics, no. 3 1999.
- Phillip Dukes. "A Bayesian Approach to Quantum State Determination," Brigham Young University., 1996.
- Phillip Dukes and E. Larson. "A LogNormal State of Knowledge," Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods, 1996: 355-359.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Phillip Dukes. 2017-2018 Texas Mathematics and Science Partnership Professional Development Network, Texas Regional Collaboratives for Excellence in Science and Mathematics Teaching, $86,261.00 (May 2017)
- Phillip Dukes. Research Enhancement Award, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, $3,734.53 (June 2015 - June 2016)
- Phillip Dukes. 2016-2017 Texas Mathematics and Science Partnership Professional Development Network, Texas Regional Collaboratives for Excellence in Science and Mathematics, $140,000.00 (May 2016)
- Phillip Dukes. Retooling Middle School Science through Technology, Teacher Quality Grants, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, $751,057.00 (May 2014 - April 2015)
- Phillip Dukes, Cindy Cho, Mario Rojas, and Carlos Correa. "Super Mario Super Science," TRC Annual Meeting, Texas Regional Collaboratives for Excellence in Science Teaching, Austin, TX (June 2017)
- Phillip Dukes. "Finding Micrometeorites," TRC Project Directors Meeting, Texas Regional Collaboratives for Excellence in Science Teaching, Austin, TX (April 2017)
- Phillip Dukes. "Teaching with Misconceptions in the Classroom," Colloquium , University of Nebraska Omaha, University of Nebraska Omaha (March 2017)
- Phillip Dukes. "Continuous-time quantum walks over connected graphs, amplitudes and invariants," AMS Special Sessions on Quantum Walks, 2016 Joint Mathematics Meeting, Seattle, Washington (January 2016)
- Phillip Dukes and Luisa Marin. "Teaching Physics and Astronomy with Stereoscopic Technology," Physics Research & Education – Gordon Research Conference, (June 2012)
- Phillip Dukes and Luisa Marin. "World Space Week – Bridging Communities and Space," Physics Research & Education – Gordon Research Conference, (June 2012)
- Phillip Dukes and Reynaldo Ramirez. "The University of Texas at Brownsville Mathematics, Science, and Technology Teacher Preparation Academy (MSTTPA)," SMTI 2012 National Conference, (June 2012)
- Phillip Dukes. "Receiving Weather Satellite Imagery for Earth Science Studies," Amazing Skies Science Outreach Expo, Pharr, Texas (March 2012)
- Phillip Dukes. "Using the Kindle DX to Foster Teacher Community of Practice," Teacher Quality Technical Assistance Meeting, Austin, Texas (May 2011)
- Phillip Dukes and James Telese. "Enhancing Physics Teachers’ Conceptual Understanding and Inquiry Pedagogy ," Southwest Educational Research Association, San Antonio, TX (February 2007)
SUMMER II 2018
SUMMER II 2017