Phone: (956) 665-8761
Dr. Nicholas Dimakis
Areas of Expertise
- Computational Material Science, Graphene, XAFS, Fuel Cells
- PhD, Physics, Illinois Institute of Technology, 1997
- MS, Applied Optics, University of Salford, 1991
- BS, Mathematics, National University of Athens, 1990
- Muhammad Bhatti, Paul Bracken, Nicholas Dimakis, Armando Herrera, "Solution of mathematical model for gas solubility using fractional-order Bhatti polynomials," Journal of Physics Communications 2, no. 8 (August 2018): 085013.
- S. Gupta, S. Carrizosa, J. Jasinski, and Nicholas Dimakis. "Charge transfer dynamical processes at graphene-transition metal oxides/electrolyte interface for energy storage: Insights from in-situ Raman spectroelectrochemistry," AIP Advances 8, no. 6 (June 2018).
- S. Gupta, A. Banaszak, T. Smith, and Nicholas Dimakis. "Molecular sensitivity of metal nanoparticles decorated graphene-family nanomaterials as surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) platforms," Journal of Raman Spectroscopy 49, no. 3 (March 2018): 438-451.
- Nicholas Dimakis, Danielle Valdez, Fernando Flor, Andres Salgado, Kolade Adjibi, Sarah Vargas, and Justin Saenz. "Density functional theory calculations on alkali and the alkaline Ca atoms adsorbed on graphene monolayers," Applied Surface Science 413, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2017): 197–208.
- Neili Loupe, Nilufar Nasirova, Jonathan Doan, Danielle Valdez, Maurizio Furlani, Nicholas Dimakis, and Eugene Smotkin. "DFT-experimental IR spectroscopy of lithiated single ion conducting perfluorinated sulfonated ionomers: Ion induced polarization band broadening," Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry (February 2017).
- Sanju Gupta, Sara Carrizosa, Benjamin McDonald, Jacek Jasinski, and Nicholas Dimakis. "Graphene-family nanomaterials assembled with cobalt oxides and cobalt nanoparticles as hybrid supercapacitive electrodes and enzymeless glucose detection platforms," Journal of Materials Research (December 2016): 1–22.
- Nicholas Dimakis, Fernando Flor, Andres Salgado, Kolade Adjibi, Sarah Vargas, and Justin Saenz. "Density functional theory calculations on transition metal atoms adsorbed on graphene monolayers," Applied Surface Science (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016).
- Sanju Gupta, Bryce Aberg, Sara Carrizosa, and Nicholas Dimakis. "Vanadium pentoxide nanobelt-reduced graphene oxide nanosheet composites as high-performance pseudocapacitive electrodes: AC impedance spectroscopy data modeling and theoretical calculations," Materials 9, no. 8 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2016): 615.
- Nicholas Dimakis, Fernando Flor, Nestor Navarro, Andres Salgado, and Eugene Smotkin. "Adsorption of Carbon Monoxide on Platinum–Ruthenium, Platinum–Osmium, Platinum–Ruthenium–Osmium, and Platinum–Ruthenium–Osmium–Iridium Alloys," The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 120, no. 19 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016): 10427–10441.
- Kierstyn Anderson, Erin Kingston, Joseph Romeo, Jonathan Doan, Neili Loupe, Nicholas Dimakis, and Eugene Smotkin. "Infrared spectroscopy of ion-induced cross-linked sulfonated poly (ether ether ketone)," Polymer 93, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016): 65–71.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Mark Chu. MRI: Acquisition of a PC Cluster, High Performance Rio Grande Valley Cluster (HiRGV) , NSF, $976,250.42 ( )
- Nicholas Dimakis. Advanced Computational Facilities for UTPA Planetarium Educational Content Production , Procter & Gamble , $10,000.00 (January 2015 - August 2015)
- Nicholas Dimakis. Raman Spectrometer for the Characterization of Advanced Materials and Nanomaterials, DoD, $328,777.00 (January 2015 - August 2015)
- Nicholas Dimakis. FRC, University of Texas-Pan American, $5,000.00 (December 2012 - August 2013)
- Nicholas Dimakis. MRI: Acquisition of a PC Cluster, High Performance Pan American Cluster (HiPAC), NSF, $503,843.00 (September 2010 - August 2013)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "Carbon monoxide and water coadsorption on platinum and platinum-based mixed-metal anode catalysts for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells," ACS, LA (March 2018)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "Search for a high efficiently platinum-based mixed-metal anode catalyst for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells," ACS, CA (April 2017)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "The search for high efficient fuel cell anode catalysts: The Pt-Ru-Os-Ir Quaternary Alloy ," UTRGV, TX (November 2016)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "Density Functional Theory Calculations on Transition Metal Adatom Adsorbed on Graphene Monolayers," NANOSMAT, Arlington, TX (June 2016)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "Phenomenological models for carbon monoxide adsorption on platinum-based alloy catalysts for direct methanol fuel cells," ACS, San Diego, CA (April 2016)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "Renewable energy sources: Methanol fuel cells," 2nd International Conf. Applied Innovation, Arta, Greece (October 2015)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "Thermodynamics and the Stock Market," TEI of Epirus, Arta, Greece (October 2015)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "The Extended π-attraction σ-repulsion Model for Carbon Monoxide Adsorbed on Platinum-Ruthenium-Osmium-Iridium Quaternary Alloys," ACS, Denver, CO (April 2015)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "Density Functional Theory Calculations on Carbon Monoxide Adsorption on Platinum-based Alloys ," UTPA, TX (April 2015)
- Nicholas Dimakis. "Electronic and Vibrational Properties for Grapheme Monolayers with Iron adatoms," NANOSMAT, Houston, TX (2014) (June 2014)
SUMMER II 2018
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER I 2017