Dr. Minhee Eom
Dr. Minhee Eom (Ph.D, University of Iowa) is an associate professor in the department of Writing & Language Studies teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in descriptive linguistics, language and culture, assessment, and research methodology. Her research interests include language assessment, ESL/EFL education, quantitative research designs and third language acquisition.
Areas of Expertise
- Language testing, English as a Second Language, quantitative research
- PhD, Teaching & Learning (Foreign Language & ESL Education), The University of Iowa, 2006
- MA, English Language and Literature, Seoul National University, 2000
- MBA, Information System Management, George Washington University, 1994
- BA, English Language and Literature, Seoul Womens University, 1990
- Analynn Bustamante and Minhee Eom. "Linguistically diverse students’ attitudes towards writing in English.," Texas Journal of Literacy Education 5, no. 1 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2017): 44–56.
- Minhee Eom, Yong Lang, and Caihong Xie. "Chinese and Korean college students’ perceptions of standardized English tests," The Asian Journal of Applied Linguistics 4, no. 1 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2017): 117–128.
- Susan Hildebrandt and Minhee Eom. "Foreign language teacher motivations for professionalization," The Journal of Language Teaching and Learning 1, no. 1 (2011).
- Minhee Eom. "Multi-componential models of L2 listening," The Journal of Language Teaching and Learning 1, no. 2 (2011): 30–43.
- Minhee Eom and Susan Hildebrandt. "Teacher Professionalization: Motivational Factors and the Influence of Age," Copyright Elsevier: Teaching and Teacher Education/Copyright Elsevier 27, no. 2 (2011): 416-423.
- Minhee Eom. "Two factors of L2 listening," The Modern Journal of Applied Linguistics 2, no. 4 (2010): 295-305.
- Minhee Eom. "Difficulties of Different Aspects of L2 Listening for Testing," Studies in English Education 13, no. 2 (2008): 123–142.
- Minhee Eom. "Difficulty of second language listening for testing," Studies in English Education 13, no. 2 (2008): 123-142.
- Minhee Eom. "Underlying factors of MELAB listening construct," Spaan Fellow 1001, (2008): 77.
- Minhee Eom. "Underlying Factors of MELAB Listening Constructs," University of Michigan: Spaan Fellow Working Papers in Second or Foreign Language Assessment /University of Michigan 6, (2008).
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Minhee Eom. Global Opportunity Grant, Office of Global Engagement, $500.00 (August 2017 - November 2017)
- Minhee Eom. 2017 Summer Writing Program , Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs and Diversity & Center for Teaching Excellence, $500.00 (May 2017 - August 2017)
- Mijin Oh-Villarreal. Global Opportunity Grant, Office of Global Engagement, $2,000.00 (May 2017)
- Minhee Eom. Global Opportunity Grant , Office of Global Engagement, UTRGV , $2,000.00 (November 2016)
- Minhee Eom. Spaan Fellowship, The University of Michigan , $5,000.00 ( 2007)
- Minhee Eom. Summer Fellowship, Graduate College at the University of IOWA, ( 2006)
- Minhee Eom. Faculty Reserach Grant, College of Arts and Humanities at UTPA, ( 2006)
- Minhee Eom. Graduate Dissertation Grant, The Center for Asian and Pacific Studies at the University of IOWA, ( 2005)
- Minhee Eom. The TOEFL Small Grants for Doctoral Research in Second or Foreign Language Assessment Program, Educational Testing Service, ( 2005)
- Minhee Eom and Analynn Bustamente. "An Effect of Language Background on Students’ Attitudes toward Writing in English,," The International Conference of the Korea Association of English Education, Seoul, Korea (July 2017)
- Analynn Bustamante and Minhee Eom. "Writing Attitudes of Hispanic Adults in a Bilingual Community," The International Conference of the Linguistics Association of the Southwest, The Linguistics Association of Southwest, Austin, Texas (September 2016)
- Minhee Eom and Yong Lang. "A Perception Study of Major Attributes of EFL Tests Used in China and Korea," The international conference of the Korea Association of English Education, Seoul, Korea (July 2016)
- Minhee Eom and Yong Lang. "College students’ perceptions of standardized EFL testing in China and Korea," The ACTFL Annual Convention and World Languages Expo , The American Council of Teaching Foreign Language, San Antonio, Texas (November 2014)
- Yong Lang, Deborah Cole, and Minhee Eom. "A sociolinguistic analysis of T-shirt language used in the Rio Grande Valley. ," The Academy of Business Research Conference , the International Organization of Social Sciences and Behavioral Research, Atlantic City, New Jersey (April 2013)
- Minhee Eom. "Underlying traits of listening measured by a standardized English as a foreign language test," 15th World Congress of Applied Linguistics Conference, Essen, Germany (August 2008)
- Minhee Eom. "An investigation of operationalized constructs of listening," 28th Annual Conference of American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Washington DC (April 2008)
- S. Hildebrandt and Minhee Eom. "Foreign language teacher motivations for professionalization: Factors in becoming highly qualified.," The Annual conference of American Education and Research Association (AERA), (April 2008)
- Minhee Eom and S. Hildebrandt. "Why Do Language Teachers Get National Board Certified?," 5th International Conference on Language Teacher Education, Center for Advanced Research in Language Acquisition, Minnesota (July 2007)
- Minhee Eom, M. Chalhoub-Deville, S. Dunbar, and C. Deville. "Development and Use of the Iowa Tests of English Language Learning (ITELL)," Iowa Culture and Language Conference, Des Moines, Iowa (February 2005)
- ENGL 3361 01R - Intro to Descript Liguistics:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 3370 01R - Language & Culture:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 3361 03 - Intro to Descript Liguistics:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER II 2018