Ming-Tsan P. Lu
Phone: (956) 882-7674
Dr. Ming-Tsan P. Lu
Dr. Ming-Tsan P. Lu, PhD is Assistant Professor in Teaching and Learning, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. His research interests include human cognition and learning, educational positive psychology, L2 learning and teaching, educational technology, and SoTL. He has numerous publications that focus on these fields. When he is not writing, he enjoys spending time with his family, as well as learning Asian cultures and heritages.
- PhD, Cognitive Studies in Education, Teachers College Columbia University, 2011
- M.Phil., Cognitive Studies in Education, Teachers College Columbia University, 2011
- MA, Cognitive Studies in Education, Teachers College Columbia University, 2009
- MS, Applied Statistics, Teachers College Columbia University, 2007
- MEd, Human Development and Psychology, Harvard University, 2003
- BS, Rural Sociology, National Taiwan University, 1999
- Ming-Tsan Lu, Stacey Gonzalez, Yuridia Munoz, and Luis Colom. "Biomedical Research Careers Pipeline in a Southern Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI): Perspectives of Faculty and Students on Efficacy of Mentoring Workshops," Journal of Continuing Education and Professional Development 4, no. 2 (August 2017): 55-70.
- Yvette Hinojosa, Ming-Tsan Lu, and Lionel Cavazos. "Exploring Positive Psychology, Cultural, and Family Predictors of Latina/o Students Psychological Grit," Journal of Multidisciplinary Graduate Research (November 2017).
- Lionel Cavazos, Ming-Tsan Lu, A. Lenz, Miranda Savage, and Rebekah Guardiola. "Positive psychology and Mexican American college students’ subjective happiness and depression. ," Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences 38, (December 2016): 324-340.
- Ming-Tsan Lu, Yousun Shin, and Terry Overton. "Pre- and In-Service Teachers’ Perceptions of Learning through Research Workshops in a Hispanic-Serving Institution in USA: A Review of Two Years’ Accumulative Data," Journal of Education and Learning 5, no. 2 (2016): 84-99.
- Cheng Chang Pan, Ming-Tsan Lu, and M Tsai. "A Quantitative Examination of Generational Differences in e-Learning at A Hispanic-Serving Institution," International Journal of Technology in Teaching and Learning 11, no. 2 (December 2015): 115-129.
- Shaghayegh Setayesh and Ming-Tsan Lu. "Parents’ Perspectives on Homeschooling: A Case Study in Southern U.S.," Home School Researcher 31, no. 2 (2015): 1-7.
- Javier Vela, Ming-Tsan Lu, and Karina Hinojosa. "Positive Psychology and Familial Factors as Predictors of Latina/o Students’ Psychological Grit," Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences 37, no. 3 (2015): 287–303.
- Lionel Cavazos, Ming-Tsan Lu, Stacey Gonzalez, R Smith, and Shaga Azadi-Setayesh. "School counselors’ perceptions of differences between successful and less successful Latina/o high school students," Journal of School Counseling 13, no. 14 (2015).
- Hsuying Ward, Ming-Tsan Lu, Brendan O’Connor, Terry Overton, "Successful bottom-up faculty collaboration during institutional change," Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education 7, no. 2 (2015): 1-23.
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Teaching Hanzi Shufa (Chinese Calligraphy) to Beginning Learners of CFL," Teaching Chinese in International Contexts 4, (2015): 27-32.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Leslie Jones. Stimulating Research on Effective Strategies in Understanding STEM Education at Two-Year Hispanic Serving Institutions, NSF, $299,733.00 (September 1, 2015 - August 31, 2017)
- Bettina Steren Dos Santos. Brazil Visiting Scholar (Teaching in the 21 Century: Motivational Processes of Higher Education Faculty), FAPERGS, ( 2015)
- Luis Colom. BUILD planning and BUILD, NIH, ( )
- Ming-Tsan Lu. Transforming Education through Neuroscience (TEN): NeuroEducation, NSF, ( )
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "3D Embodied Animations for Beginning Learners of Chinese Characters," American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Convention, AERA, New York, NY (April 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Evaluating Link2Success (L2S) Program for HSI Community College Students’ STEM Achievement," AABSS 21st Annual Conference, American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences (AABSS), Las Vegas, NV (February 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu, Amy Weimer, and Alyssa Cavazos. "Exploring HIPs in a Large HSI: Using Student Experiential Learning Experience as an Example," High Impact Practices in the States Annual Conference, California State University Dominguez Hills and Taking Student Success to Scale, Carson, California (February 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Imagine and Action! Innovative Chinese Character Learning Approaches," 1st Southwest Texas Asian Symposium, UTRGV; Texas Coastal Band of Korean Scientist and Engineering Association; Association of Chinese Political Studies, (November 2017)
- Maria Diaz and Ming-Tsan Lu. "The Bilingual Brain and Success: Neuroscience Findings and Applications for Teaching and Learning," 45th Annual TABE Conference , Texas Association for Bilingual Education, McAllen, TX (October 2017)
- Ming-Tsan Lu, Amy Weimer, and Alyssa Cavazos. "Assessing High Impact Practices (HIP) at a Southern State Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) of Higher Education: A First Look at the Initiatives," NAHLS International Research Conference, National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies, South Padre Island, TX (October 2017)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Bad Examples from the United Airlines; Good Lessons for Social Justice: HSI Students' Perspectives of Learning and Teaching Equity and Equality," NAHLS International Research Conference, National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies, South Padre Island, TX (October 2017)
- Ming-Tsan Lu and Leslie Jones. "Improving STEM Academic Achievement for an HSI Community College through Link2Success: Perspectives of Students and Student Leaders," NAHLS International Research Conference, National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies, South Padre Island, TX (October 2017)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Tips and Insights from Faculty: What I wish I knew about teaching, research, and service when I was a first-year faculty member?," 2017 New Faculty Support Program, Center for Teaching Excellence, UTRGV, CTE- Main1212 (October 2017)
- Ming-Tsan Lu and Leslie Jones. "Student Learning in STEM through Link2Success: An Evaluation of Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) Initiative at a Southern Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)," 29th Annual APS Convention, Association of Psychological Science (APS), Boston, MA (May 2017)
SUMMER 2017 MODULE 2
SUMMER I 2017
FALL 2016 MODULE 2
SUMMER I 2016