Ming-Tsan P. Lu
Phone: (956) 882-7674
Dr. Ming-Tsan P. Lu
Dr. Ming-Tsan P. Lu, Ph.D., is Associate Professor in Teaching and Learning, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. His research interests include human cognition and learning, educational positive psychology, L2 learning and teaching, educational technology, and SoTL. He has numerous publications that focus on these fields. When he is not writing, he enjoys spending time with his family, as well as learning Asian cultures and heritages.
- PhD, Cognitive Studies in Education, Teachers College Columbia University, 2011
- M.Phil., Cognitive Studies in Education, Teachers College Columbia University, 2011
- MA, Cognitive Studies in Education, Teachers College Columbia University, 2009
- MS, Applied Statistics, Teachers College Columbia University, 2007
- MEd, Human Development and Psychology, Harvard University, 2003
- BS, Rural Sociology, National Taiwan University, 1999
- Mehmet Karaman, Lionel Cavazos, and Ming-Tsan Lu. "Factorial validity of Teacher and School Counselor Support Scales in Latina/a students," Adiyaman University Journal of Educational Sciences 8, (February 2018): 1-20.
- Ming-Tsan Lu, Stacey Gonzalez, Yuridia Munoz, and Luis Colom. "Biomedical Research Careers Pipeline in a Southern Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI): Perspectives of Faculty and Students on Efficacy of Mentoring Workshops," Journal of Continuing Education and Professional Development 4, no. 2 (August 2017): 55-70.
- Yvette Hinojosa, Ming-Tsan Lu, and Lionel Cavazos. "Exploring Positive Psychology, Cultural, and Family Predictors of Latina/o Students Psychological Grit," Journal of Multidisciplinary Graduate Research (November 2017).
- Lionel Cavazos, Ming-Tsan Lu, A. Lenz, Miranda Savage, and Rebekah Guardiola. "Positive psychology and Mexican American college students’ subjective happiness and depression. ," Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences 38, (December 2016): 324-340.
- Ming-Tsan Lu, Yousun Shin, and Terry Overton. "Pre- and In-Service Teachers’ Perceptions of Learning through Research Workshops in a Hispanic-Serving Institution in USA: A Review of Two Years’ Accumulative Data," Journal of Education and Learning 5, no. 2 (2016): 84-99.
- Cheng Chang Pan, Ming-Tsan Lu, and M Tsai. "A Quantitative Examination of Generational Differences in e-Learning at A Hispanic-Serving Institution," International Journal of Technology in Teaching and Learning 11, no. 2 (December 2015): 115-129.
- Shaghayegh Setayesh and Ming-Tsan Lu. "Parents’ Perspectives on Homeschooling: A Case Study in Southern U.S.," Home School Researcher 31, no. 2 (2015): 1-7.
- Javier Vela, Ming-Tsan Lu, and Karina Hinojosa. "Positive Psychology and Familial Factors as Predictors of Latina/o Students’ Psychological Grit," Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences 37, no. 3 (2015): 287–303.
- Lionel Cavazos, Ming-Tsan Lu, Stacey Gonzalez, R Smith, and Shaga Azadi-Setayesh. "School counselors’ perceptions of differences between successful and less successful Latina/o high school students," Journal of School Counseling 13, no. 14 (2015).
- Hsuying Ward, Ming-Tsan Lu, Brendan O’Connor, Terry Overton, "Successful bottom-up faculty collaboration during institutional change," Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education 7, no. 2 (2015): 1-23.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Ming-Tsan Lu. Investigating Hispanic Serving College of Education Students’ Perspectives and Experiences Regarding High Impact Practices: Latinx Successful Stories, UTRGV, $1,250.00 (September 2018 - August 2019)
- Leslie Jones. Stimulating Research on Effective Strategies in Understanding STEM Education at Two-Year Hispanic Serving Institutions, NSF, $299,733.00 (September 1, 2015 - August 31, 2017)
- Bettina Steren Dos Santos. Brazil Visiting Scholar (Teaching in the 21 Century: Motivational Processes of Higher Education Faculty), FAPERGS, ( 2015)
- Luis Colom. BUILD planning and BUILD, NIH, ( )
- Ming-Tsan Lu. Transforming Education through Neuroscience (TEN): NeuroEducation, NSF, ( )
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Han Character Learning for CFL: 3D Embodied Animation Design," The American Association for Chinese Studies (AACS) 60th Annual Conference, American Association for Chinese Studies (AACS), Baltimore, MD (October 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "International HIPs in Higher Education: Mutually Beneficial International Exchange Program.," Chung Hua University International Program Convention, Chung-Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan (July 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Higher Education in America and Taiwan: Review and Prospect.," Rotary International of Taipei Sunlight Annual Conference, Rotary International, Taipei, Taiwan (June 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Stay Engaged: Scholarship and Learning," 2018 Annual Engaged Scholar Institute, Office of Engaged Scholarship and Learning, UTRGV, TX (May 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "3D Embodied Animations for Beginning Learners of Chinese Characters," American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Convention, AERA, New York, NY (April 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Educating Self," Kappa Delta Pi (KDP) International Honors Society in Education Omicron Eta (OE) Chapter Special Talk Event, Kappa Delta Pi (KDP) International Honors Society in Education Omicron Eta (OE) Chapter, (April 2018)
- Amy Weimer, Ming-Tsan Lu, and Sarah Stegall. "Effective Experiential Learning Practices: Stories of Latinx Student Success," Alliance of Hispanic Serving Institution Educators (AHSIE) 10th Annual Conference , Alliance of Hispanic Serving Institution Educators (AHSIE), Chicago, IL (March 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu. "Evaluating Link2Success (L2S) Program for HSI Community College Students’ STEM Achievement," AABSS 21st Annual Conference, American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences (AABSS), Las Vegas, NV (February 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu, Amy Weimer, and Alyssa Cavazos. "Exploring HIPs in a Large HSI: Using Student Experiential Learning Experience as an Example," High Impact Practices in the States Annual Conference, California State University Dominguez Hills and Taking Student Success to Scale, Carson, California (February 2018)
- Ming-Tsan Lu and Leslie Jones. "Improving HSI Students’ Achievement through Linik2Success: Lessons Learned," UTRGV Teaching Excellence Symposium, CTE, UTRGV (February 2018)
- EDFR 8300 91L - Research Methods & Design:
- Course Evaluations
- EDCI 8380 17 - Dissertation:
- Course Evaluations
- EDCI 8690 17 - Dissertation:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER 2018 MODULE 1
SUMMER I 2018
SPRING 2018 MODULE 2
SUMMER 2017 MODULE 2
SUMMER I 2017
FALL 2016 MODULE 2