Michael C. Mahaney
Phone: (956) 882-7492
Dr. Mahaney C. Mahaney
For more than 30 years, my studies have focused on the genetic and environmental contributions to variation in complex traits and diseases in humans and nonhuman primates.
Areas of Expertise
- Atherosclerosis risk factors and vascular pathology
- Age-related changes and pathology in bone
- Dental and skeletal variation and development
- PhD, Biological Anthropology/Population Genetics, The Ohio State University, 1984
- MA, Anthropology, The Ohio State University, 1979
- BA, Anthropology, Zoology, Genetics, The Ohio State University, 1978
- N Lake, R Taylor, H Trahair, K Harikrishnan, Joanne Curran, M Almeida, Hemant Kulkarni, N Mukhamedova, A Hoang, H Low, Alicia Murphy, Matthew Johnson, Thomas Dyer, Michael Mahaney, E Moses, D Sviridov, John Blangero, and K Bozaoglu. "TRAK2, a novel regulator of ABCA1 expression, cholesterol efflux and HDL biogenesis.," European heart journal (June 2017).
- Michael Mahaney, G Karere, D Rainwater, V Voruganti, E Dick, Jr, M Owston, K Rice, L Cox, A Comuzzie, and John VandeBerg. "Diet-induced early-stage atherosclerosis in baboons: Lipoproteins, atherogenesis, and arterial compliance.," Journal of medical primatology (June 2017).
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, G Wong, J Weir, C Barlow, Thomas Dyer, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Meikle, John Blangero, and Joanne Curran. "Genetic correlation of the plasma lipidome with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and insulin resistance in Mexican American families.," BMC genetics 18, no. 1 (May 2017): 48.
- L Hlusko, C Schmitt, T Monson, M Brasil, and Michael Mahaney. "The integration of quantitative genetics, paleontology, and neontology reveals genetic underpinnings of primate dental evolution.," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 113, no. 33 (August 2016): 9262-7.
- Manju Mamtani, Hemant Kulkarni, G Wong, J Weir, C Barlow, Thomas Dyer, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, D Glahn, D Magliano, P Zimmet, J Shaw, Sarah Williams-Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, P Meikle, and Joanne Curran. "Lipidomic risk score independently and cost-effectively predicts risk of future type 2 diabetes: results from diverse cohorts.," Lipids in health and disease 15, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016): 67.
- G Chittoor, J Kent, Jr, M Almeida, S Puppala, V Farook, S Cole, K Haack, Harald Goring, J MacCluer, Joanne Curran, M Carless, Matthew Johnson, E Moses, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, D Lehman, Ravindranath Duggirala, A Comuzzie, John Blangero, and V Voruganti. "GWAS and transcriptional analysis prioritize ITPR1 and CNTN4 for a serum uric acid 3p26 QTL in Mexican Americans.," BMC genomics 17, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016): 276.
- N Schlabritz-Loutsevitch, A Comuzzie, Michael Mahaney, G Hubbard, E Dick, Jr, M Kocak, S Gupta, M Carrillo, M Schenone, A Postlethwaite, and A Slominski. "Serum Vitamin D Concentrations in Baboons (Papio spp.) during Pregnancy and Obesity.," Comparative medicine 66, no. 2 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016): 137-42.
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, J Peralta, M Almeida, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, Matthew Johnson, Ravindranath Duggirala, Michael Mahaney, R Olvera, L Almasy, D Glahn, Sarah Williams-Blangero, Joanne Curran, and John Blangero. "Soluble Forms of Intercellular and Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecules Independently Predict Progression to Type 2 Diabetes in Mexican American Families.," PloS one 11, no. 3 (March 2016): e0151177.
- Manju Mamtani, Hemant Kulkarni, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, J Neary, S Cole, J Kent, Satish Kumar, D Glahn, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, L Almasy, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and M Carless. "Genome- and epigenome-wide association study of hypertriglyceridemic waist in Mexican American families.," Clinical epigenetics 8, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2016): 6.
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, J Peralta, Vincent Diego, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, Sarah Williams-Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, Joanne Curran, and John Blangero. "Lack of Association between SLC30A8 Variants and Type 2 Diabetes in Mexican American Families.," Journal of diabetes research 2016, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2016): 6463214.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Michael Mahaney. Genetics of bone structure and metabolism, NIH/National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, (September 30, 2009 - June 30, 2015)
- Michael Mahaney. Enhancement & Integration of NHP Primate Databases at SNPRC, NIH/National Center for Research Resources, (October 1, 2009 - September 30, 2011)
- Michael Mahaney. Statistical Genetics of PDGF-related Phenotypes, NIH/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, (January 1, 1996 - December 31, 2001)
- Michael Mahaney. Genetics of Quantitative Variation in Serum Platelet-derived Growth Factor Concentration in the Baboon Model for Atherosclerosis, Southwest Foundation Forum, (January 7, 1994 - December 31, 1995)
- Michael Mahaney. Genetics of Platelet-Derived Growth Factor in Hispanic Americans, San Antonio Area Foundation, (July 1, 1994 - June 30, 1995)