Matthew P. Johnson
Phone: (956) 882-7504
Dr. Matt P. Johnson
A molecular geneticist with 12 years’ worth experience. My research program centers on the identification of genetic mechanisms (genes, gene networks) influencing normal and diseased ocular biology such as diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma.
Areas of Expertise
- Molecular genetics
- Ocular health and disease
- Pregnancy disorders
- PhD, Molecular Genetics, Griffith University, 2005
- Graduate Diploma, Biotechnology, Queensland University of Technology, 1999
- N Lake, R Taylor, H Trahair, K Harikrishnan, Joanne Curran, M Almeida, Hemant Kulkarni, N Mukhamedova, A Hoang, H Low, Alicia Murphy, Matthew Johnson, Thomas Dyer, Michael Mahaney, E Moses, D Sviridov, John Blangero, and K Bozaoglu. "TRAK2, a novel regulator of ABCA1 expression, cholesterol efflux and HDL biogenesis.," European heart journal (June 2017).
- L Weerasekera, C Rudnicka, Q Sang, Joanne Curran, Matthew Johnson, E Moses, Harald Goring, John Blangero, J Hricova, M Schlaich, and V Matthews. "ADAM19: A Novel Target for Metabolic Syndrome in Humans and Mice.," Mediators of inflammation 2017, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 7281986.
- L Thomsen, N McCarthy, P Melton, G Cadby, R Austgulen, O Nygård, Matthew Johnson, S Brennecke, E Moses, L Bjørge, and A Iversen. "The antihypertensive MTHFR gene polymorphism rs17367504-G is a possible novel protective locus for preeclampsia.," Journal of hypertension 35, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 132-139.
- Y Zhou, G Zhu, J Charlesworth, S Simpson, Jr, R Rubicz, Harald Goring, N Patsopoulos, C Laverty, F Wu, A Henders, J Ellis, I van der Mei, G Montgomery, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, Matthew Johnson, N Martin, D Nyholt, and B Taylor. "Genetic loci for Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen-1 are associated with risk of multiple sclerosis.," Multiple sclerosis (Houndmills, Basingstoke, England) 22, no. 13 (November 2016): 1655-1664.
- John Blangero, T Teslovich, X Sim, M Almeida, G Jun, Thomas Dyer, Matthew Johnson, J Peralta, A Manning, A Wood, C Fuchsberger, J Kent, Jr, D Aguilar, J Below, V Farook, Rector Arya, S Fowler, T Blackwell, S Puppala, Satish Kumar, D Glahn, E Moses, Joanne Curran, F Thameem, Christopher Jenkinson, R DeFronzo, D Lehman, C Hanis, G Abecasis, M Boehnke, Harald Goring, Ravindranath Duggirala, and L Almasy. "Omics-squared: human genomic, transcriptomic and phenotypic data for genetic analysis workshop 19.," BMC proceedings 10, no. Suppl 7 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016): 71-77.
- T Kaartokallio, A Lokki, H Peterson, K Kivinen, L Hiltunen, E Salmela, T Lappalainen, P Maanselkä, S Heino, S Knuutila, A Sayed, L Poston, S Brennecke, Matthew Johnson, L Morgan, E Moses, J Kere, and H Laivuori. "Preeclampsia does not share common risk alleles in 9p21 with coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes.," Annals of medicine 48, no. 5 (August 2016): 330-6.
- G Chittoor, J Kent, Jr, M Almeida, S Puppala, V Farook, S Cole, K Haack, Harald Goring, J MacCluer, Joanne Curran, M Carless, Matthew Johnson, E Moses, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, D Lehman, Ravindranath Duggirala, A Comuzzie, John Blangero, and V Voruganti. "GWAS and transcriptional analysis prioritize ITPR1 and CNTN4 for a serum uric acid 3p26 QTL in Mexican Americans.," BMC genomics 17, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016): 276.
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, J Peralta, M Almeida, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, Matthew Johnson, Ravindranath Duggirala, Michael Mahaney, R Olvera, L Almasy, D Glahn, Sarah Williams-Blangero, Joanne Curran, and John Blangero. "Soluble Forms of Intercellular and Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecules Independently Predict Progression to Type 2 Diabetes in Mexican American Families.," PloS one 11, no. 3 (March 2016): e0151177.
- L Fritsche, W Igl, J Bailey, F Grassmann, S Sengupta, J Bragg-Gresham, K Burdon, S Hebbring, C Wen, M Gorski, I Kim, D Cho, D Zack, E Souied, H Scholl, E Bala, K Lee, D Hunter, R Sardell, P Mitchell, J Merriam, V Cipriani, J Hoffman, T Schick, Y Lechanteur, R Guymer, Matthew Johnson, Y Jiang, C Stanton, G Buitendijk, X Zhan, A Kwong, A Boleda, M Brooks, L Gieser, R Ratnapriya, K Branham, J Foerster, J Heckenlively, M Othman, B Vote, H Liang, E Souzeau, I McAllister, T Isaacs, J Hall, S Lake, D Mackey, I Constable, J Craig, T Kitchner, Z Yang, Z Su, H Luo, D Chen, H Ouyang, K Flagg, D Lin, G Mao, H Ferreyra, K Stark, C von Strachwitz, A Wolf, C Brandl, G Rudolph, M Olden, M Morrison, D Morgan, M Schu, J Ahn, G Silvestri, E Tsironi, K Park, L Farrer, A Orlin, A Brucker, M Li , C Curcio, S Mohand-Saïd, J Sahel, I Audo, M Benchaboune, A Cree, C Rennie, S Goverdhan, M Grunin, S Hagbi-Levi, P Campochiaro, N Katsanis, F Holz, F Blond, H Blanché, J Deleuze, R Igo, Jr, B Truitt, N Peachey, S Meuer, C Myers, E Moore, R Klein, M Hauser, E Postel, M Courtenay, S Schwartz, J Kovach, W Scott, G Liew, A Tan, B Gopinath, J Merriam, R Smith, J Khan, H Shahid, A Moore, J McGrath, R Laux, M Brantley, Jr, A Agarwal, L Ersoy, A Caramoy, T Langmann, N Saksens, E de Jong, C Hoyng, M Cain, A Richardson, T Martin, John Blangero, D Weeks, B Dhillon, C van Duijn, K Doheny, J Romm, C Klaver, C Hayward, M Gorin, M Klein, P Baird, A den Hollander, S Fauser, J Yates, R Allikmets, J Wang, D Schaumberg, B Klein, S Hagstrom, I Chowers, A Lotery, T Léveillard, K Zhang, M Brilliant, A Hewitt, A Swaroop, E Chew, M Pericak-Vance, M DeAngelis, D Stambolian, J Haines, S Iyengar, B Weber, G Abecasis, and I Heid. "A large genome-wide association study of age-related macular degeneration highlights contributions of rare and common variants.," Nature genetics 48, no. 2 (February 2016): 134-43.
- R Rubicz, R Yolken, E Drigalenko, M Carless, Thomas Dyer, J Kent, Jr, Joanne Curran, Matthew Johnson, S Cole, S Fowler, Rector Arya, S Puppala, L Almasy, E Moses, E Kraig, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, C Leach, and Harald Goring. "Genome-wide genetic investigation of serological measures of common infections.," European journal of human genetics : EJHG 23, no. 11 (November 2015): 1544-8.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Matthew Johnson. Genetic Epidemiology of Ocular Health and Disease, NIH/NEI, $1,000,184.00 (June 1, 2014 - May 31, 2019)