Mark Z. Kos
Assistant Professor of Research
Phone: (210) 585-9772
Dr. Mark Z. Kos
My research interests are predominantly in statistical genetics, epidemiology, and the genetics of complex traits, with a focus on psychiatric disorders (e.g., schizophrenia, alcoholism) and brain-related endophenotypes.
Areas of Expertise
- Psychiatric genetics
- Statistical genetics
- PhD, Biological Anthropology, University of Kansas, 2008
- MA, Anthropology, University of Kansas, 2006
- Mark Kos, M Carless, J Peralta, Joanne Curran, E Quillen, M Almeida, A Blackburn, L Blondell, D Roalf, M Pogue-Geile, R Gur, Harald Goring, V Nimgaonkar, R Gur, and L Almasy. "Exome sequences of multiplex, multigenerational families reveal schizophrenia risk loci with potential implications for neurocognitive performance.," American journal of medical genetics. Part B, Neuropsychiatric genetics : the official publication of the International Society of Psychiatric Genetics (September 2017).
- Mark Kos, M Carless, J Peralta, A Blackburn, M Almeida, D Roalf, M Pogue-Geile, K Prasad, R Gur, V Nimgaonkar, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, D Glahn, John Blangero, R Gur, and L Almasy. "Exome Sequence Data From Multigenerational Families Implicate AMPA Receptor Trafficking in Neurocognitive Impairment and Schizophrenia Risk.," Schizophrenia bulletin 42, no. 2 (March 2016): 288-300.
- Mark Kos. Localizing the genes that shape human variation. Genome Mapping and Genomics in Human and Non-Human Primates. 2015.
- Hemant Kulkarni, Mark Kos, J Neary, Thomas Dyer, J Kent, Jr, Harald Goring, S Cole, A Comuzzie, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, Joanne Curran, John Blangero, and M Carless. "Novel epigenetic determinants of type 2 diabetes in Mexican-American families.," Human molecular genetics 24, no. 18 (September 2015): 5330-44.
- J Yan, F Aliev, B Webb, K Kendler, V Williamson, H Edenberg, A Agrawal, Mark Kos, L Almasy, J Nurnberger, Jr, M Schuckit, J Kramer, J Rice, S Kuperman, A Goate, J Tischfield, B Porjesz, and D Dick. "Using genetic information from candidate gene and genome-wide association studies in risk prediction for alcohol dependence.," Addiction biology 19, no. 4 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2014): 708-21.
- Mark Kos, D Glahn, M Carless, R Olvera, D McKay, E Quillen, J Gelernter, X Chen, H Deng, J Kent, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and L Almasy. "Novel QTL at chromosome 6p22 for alcohol consumption: Implications for the genetic liability of alcohol use disorders.," American journal of medical genetics. Part B, Neuropsychiatric genetics : the official publication of the International Society of Psychiatric Genetics 165B, no. 4 (June 2014): 294-302.
- M Carless, Hemant Kulkarni, Mark Kos, J Charlesworth, J Peralta, Harald Goring, Joanne Curran, L Almasy, Thomas Dyer, A Comuzzie, Michael Mahaney, and John Blangero. "Genetic effects on DNA methylation and its potential relevance for obesity in Mexican Americans.," PloS one 8, no. 9 (September 2013): e73950.
- Mark Kos, J Yan, D Dick, A Agrawal, K Bucholz, J Rice, E Johnson, M Schuckit, S Kuperman, J Kramer, A Goate, J Tischfield, T Foroud, J Nurnberger, Jr, V Hesselbrock, B Porjesz, L Bierut, H Edenberg, and L Almasy. "Common biological networks underlie genetic risk for alcoholism in African- and European-American populations.," Genes, brain, and behavior 12, no. 5 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2013): 532-42.
- H Anderson-Schmidt, O Beltcheva, M Brandon, E Byrne, E Diehl, L Duncan, S Gonzalez, E Hannon, K Kantojärvi, I Karagiannidis, Mark Kos, E Kotyuk, B Laufer, K Mantha, N McGregor, S Meier, V Nieratschker, H Spiers, A Squassina, G Thakur, Y Tiwari, B Viswanath, M Way, C Wong, A O'Shea, and L DeLisi. "Selected rapporteur summaries from the XX World Congress of Psychiatric Genetics, Hamburg, Germany, October 14-18, 2012.," American journal of medical genetics. Part B, Neuropsychiatric genetics : the official publication of the International Society of Psychiatric Genetics, 162B, no. 2 March 2013: 96-121.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Mark Kos. A Neurobehavioral Family Study of Schizophrenia, NIH/NIMH, (April 1, 2000 - December 31, 2018)
- Mark Kos. Collaborative Study on the Genetics of Alcoholism, NIH/NIAAA (Res. Found. State Univ. of N.Y. SUNY), (December 31, 2014 - August 31, 2016)
- Mark Kos. "Investigation of the P300 genetic component in the risk of alcohol dependence among European- and African-American subjects via multimarker scoring.," 39th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Research Society on Alcoholism, Research Society on Alcoholism, New Orleans (June 2016)
- Mark Kos. "Multimarker scoring routines based on P300 neuroelectrical measurements show association with alcohol dependence in independent subjects, with significant enrichment in axon guidance pathways.," 23rd World Congress of Psychiatric Genetics, International Society of Psychiatric Genetics, Toronto, Canada (October 2015)