Lucas E. Espinoza
Phone: (956) 665-8757
Dr. Lucas E. Espinoza
Areas of Expertise
- Culture and Identity, Latin@ Disparities, and Social Justice Rights/Issues
- Gender & Women's Studies
- Mexican American Studies
- Social Science Methodology & Statistics
- PhD, Sociology, Texas Woman's University, 2016
- CERT Graduate Academic Certificate, Mexican American Studies, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2011
- MS, Sociology, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2011
- MA, Clinical Psychology, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2009
- BA, English, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2006
- BS, Psychology and Sociology, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2005
- Rosalva Resendiz and Lucas Espinoza. "The International Law Enforcement Community: Cooperative Efforts on Combatting Human Trafficking," The Sage Handbook of Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery. Sage International Publishing, December 2018.
- Luis Espinoza, Lucas Espinoza, Michaela Wilson, and Tracy Denton. "Asthma Predictors Influence on Self-management Asthma Education Status," Oak Ridge NC: American Journal of Health Behavior 42, no. 5 (September 2018): 74-84.
- Rosalva Resendiz and Lucas Espinoza. "Mestizo/a Discourse: Soldaderas in the Corridos of the Mexican Revolution of 1910," Texas A&M University-Kingsville and South Texas Historical Association: The Journal of South Texas 30, no. 1 (November 2016): 92-117.
- Lucas Espinoza and Luis Espinoza. "Hernandez v. Texas: The Fight for Mexican-American Rights," Denton, Texas: Ibid. A Student History Journal, Eta Nu Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, National History Honor Society. 9, no. Spring 2016 (May 2016).
- Ann Wilder, Luis Espinoza, and Lucas Espinoza. "The Relationship Prayer has on Quality of Life in Later Adulthood," Dallas, Texas: The Association for the Scientific Study of Religion, May 2016: 109-119.
- Kathleen Anangwe, Luis Espinoza, and Lucas Espinoza. "The Macro Structural Effects on Substance Abuse Treatment Outcomes During The Great Recession," Social Forces .
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Lucas Espinoza. Connecting Resources: Building a Women's Resource Center at UTPA. , Alice Kleberg Reynolds Foundation Grant , $10,000.00 (2009 - 2010)
- Rosalva Resendiz and Lucas Espinoza. "Mestizo/a Discourse: Soldaderas in the Corridos of the Mexican Revolution of 1910," Trae Tu Lonchera, UTRGV Center for Mexican American Studies, Edinburg, Texas (May 2018)
- Lucas Espinoza. "Welcoming Address of Crimes Against Nature," Social Justice & Peace Series- Crimes Against Nature: A Call for Justice!, UTRGV Criminal Justice Department/APS- Omega Phi Chapter- CJ National Honor Society, and UTRGV Environmental Studies Program, Edinburg, Texas (April 2018)
- Lucas Espinoza and Luis Espinoza. "Prevalence of Health-Risk Behaviors among Sexual Minority Youth in Texas," The Texas Campaign's 7th Annual Symposium: Empowering the next Generation, The Texas Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, Austin, Texas (April 2018)
- Lucas Espinoza and Rosalva Resendiz. "Los Secretos del 41: A Sociohistorical Analysis of a Gay Signifier ," NACCS 45 The Queer Turn, National Association Chicana & Chicano Studies, Minneapolis, MN (April 2018)
- Rosalva Resendiz, Lucas Espinoza, and Manuel Leal. "“The ‘Pacification’ of Colonized Brown Bodies: Living on the Border of the Criminal Justice Industrial Complex” ," Western Social Science Association 60th Annual Conference, Western Social Science Association/Association for Borderland Studies, San Antonio, Texas (April 2018)
- Mindy Menn, Luis Espinoza, and Lucas Espinoza. "Let's Talk About CATs (Classroom Assessment Techniques)," 23rd Annual Online Learning Consortium- Accelerate 2017, Online Learning Consortium, Orlando, Florida (November 2017)
- Rosalva Resendiz and Lucas Espinoza. "Human Trafficking Class Presentation," CRIJ 6325 Social Justice and Human Rights Class Discussion on Human Trafficking, CRIJ 6325 Social Justice and Human Rights Class Dr. Tom White, Edinburg, Texas (November 2017)
- Lucas Espinoza. "Invited Panelist for Communication and Law Enforcement, Especially First Responders," Coalition Against Violence and Exploitation Conference 2017, UTRGV and UTRGV OVAVP, Edinburg, Texas (October 2017)
- James Williams, Lucas Espinoza, Luis Espinoza , and Daniel Rodeheaver. "Title: County Social Capital and Intimate Partner Homicide in Texas: An Exploratory Study.," Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences 54th Annual Meeting, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, Kansas City Missouri (March 2017)
- Lucas Espinoza. "Focus Group Methodology," PSJA Southwest ECHS Marketing Class Presentation, PSJA Southwest/ STC Dual Credit Marketing Class Mr. Eloy Garza, Pharr, Texas (December 2016)
- CRIJ 6308 01 - Criminal Justice Res Met:
- Course Evaluations
- CRIJ 3303 92L - Criminology:
- Course Evaluations
- CRIJ 3305 90L - Stat Application in Crim Just:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER II 2018
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER I 2017