Phone: (956) 665-3561
Dr. Linda English
Received PhD. in 2005 from University of Oklahoma. Started at UTPA in Fall 2008. Published articles and book (OU Press 2013) on the history of Texas and Indian Territory.
Areas of Expertise
- Texas history
- American West
- Race, class, gender history (Texas and Am. West)
- PhD, History, The University of Oklahoma, 2005
- MA, History, University of Calgary, 1999
- BA, Urban Studies, University of Calgary, 1995
- Linda English. "“‘Madam, you ought to be the man such times as these’”: Gendered Confrontations and the Runaway Scrape," American Nineteenth Century History 19, no. 2 (May 2018).
- Linda English. Another Year Finds Me in Texas. Journal of Southern History, 83, no. 3 August 2017: 700-701.
- Cynthia Jones, Sandra Hansmann, Anne Stachura, and Linda English. "Boys Will Be Boys," Justified and Philosophy: Think First, Shoot Later. Open Court Publishing, 2015.
- Linda English. Pesos and Dollars: Entrepreneurs in the Texas-Mexico Borderlands, 1880-1940 . Southwestern Historical Quarterly , 119, no. 1 July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2015: 89-90.
- Linda English. "Southern Reflections: Evolving Attitudes on Race and Region in Indian Territory," Great Plains Quarterly 34, no. 4 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2014).
- Linda English. Oysters, Macaroni & Beer: Thurber, Texas and the Company Store . Logan, Utah: Western Historical Quarterly, 45, no. 2/Summer July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2014: 208-209.
- Linda English. Pregnancy, Motherhood, and Choice in 20th Century Arizona . Southwestern Historical Quarterly, 117, no. No.4/April April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2014: 445-446.
- Linda English. “Populism in the Midwest and Plains;” “Tenant Farming”. ABC-CLIO, February 2014.
- Linda English. A People, A Place: The Story of Abilene, Volume 2, The Modern City 1940-2010. Journal of Southern History, 79, no. 4/Winter November 2013: 1007-1008.
- Linda English. By All Accounts: General Stores and Community Life in Texas and Indian Territory. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press, 2013.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Linda English. Gender & Women's Studies Program, NEH Humanities Initiatives Hispanic-Serving Institutions, $68,000.00 (January 2017 - August 2018)
- Linda English. UTRGV Faculty Research Council Grant, $2,578.00 (July 2016 - August 2016)
- Linda English. Anne Hodges Morgan and H. Wayne Morgan Dissertation Fellowship, University of Oklahoma, Department of History, $6,000.00 (June 2002 - August 2003)
- Linda English. Southern Methodist University, Clements-DeGolyer Research Grant (2002), Southern Methodist University, $500.00 (May 2002)
- Marisa Knox, Friederike Bruehoefener, Linda English, Cathryn Merla-Watson, and Ernesto Ramirez. " Teaching Gender: Incorporating a Gendered Lens into the Classroom ," NEXUS - THE CLA’s RESEARCH, TEACHING, & SERVICE SYMPOSIUM, College of Liberal Arts, Brownsville, TX (April 2018)
- Linda English. "“’Every Manly Feeling’: Deserters, Manhood, and the Texas Revolution”," Annual Conference Western History Association, Western History Association, San Diego, California (November 2017)
- Linda English. ""'Every Manly Feeling': Deserters, Manhood, and the Texas Revolution"," Department Faculty Colloquium Series, Department of History, Edinburg Campus (November 2017)
- Linda English. ""Gendered Contestations During the Runaway Scrape"," Berkshire Conference on the History of Women, Genders, and Sexualities, Berkshire Conference of Women Historians, New York (June 2017)
- Linda English. "“’Madam, You Ought to be the Man Such Times as These’”: Gendered Confrontations and the Runaway Scrape"," Department Faculty Colloquium Series, Dept of History, (November 2015)
- Linda English. ""Rural Women, War, and the Runaway Scrape"," Rural Women's Studies Assocation Conference, Rural Women's Studies Association, San Marcos, Texas (February 2015)
- Linda English. "“Community Accounting: General Stores and Rural Life"," 2014 Oklahoma History Conference , Oklahoma Historical Association, Stillwater, Oklahoma (April 2014)
- Linda English. "“The German Imprint: German Agricultural Settlements in the Texas Hill Country”," Agricultural History Society Annual Meeting, Agricultural History Society, Banff, Alberta, Canada (June 2013)
- Linda English. "“Emerging Scholarship in the History of Women and Gender in the American West," Western History Association Annual Conference, Western History Association, (October 2012)
- Linda English. "“Teaching the State and Provincial History Courses in the North American West"," Western History Association Annual Conference, Western History Association, (October 2011)
- HIST 3333 90L - Texas History:
- Course Evaluations
- HIST 1388 01 - U.S. History II HON:
- Course Evaluations
- HIST 1302 03 - U.S. History II:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER II 2018
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER I 2017