Katherine O. Christoffersen
Dr. Katie O. Christoffersen
In general, my research explores the social aspects of language learning in and outside of the classroom, especially through the use of ethnographic, qualitative, discourse analytic and conversation analytic methodologies. I teach topics related to second language acquisition and sociolinguistics.
Areas of Expertise
- second language acquisition
- language and identity
- conversation analysis, discourse analysis, ethnography
- PhD, Second Language Acquisition and Teaching, The University of Arizona, 2015
- MA, English as a Second Language, The University of Arizona, 2010
- Katherine Christoffersen and Naomi Shin. "‘You live in the United States, you speak English,’ decían las maestras: How New Mexican Spanish speakers enact, ascribe and reject ethnic identities," Identity and Dialect Performance: A Study of Communities & Dialects. New York, NY: Routledge, January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2018: p. 160-178.
- Katherine Christoffersen. "Comparing Quantitative and Qualitative Measures of Oral Proficiency in IELTS Interviews," Estudios de Linguistica Inglesa Aplicada 17, (December 2017): 233-250.
- Katherine Christoffersen. "What students do with words: Language choice and communicative function in a Spanish immersion classroom," NABE Journal of Research and Practice 8, no. 1 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2017): 92-110.
- Katherine Christoffersen. "A contrastive analysis of dar ‘give’ in English and Portuguese: Semantic-syntactic relationships and implications for L2 instruction," Brazilian English Language Teaching Journal 7, no. 1 (2016): 26-43.
- Katherine Christoffersen. "Dominant Discourses and language socialization in the literacy practices in a Spanish-speaking church," Studies in Applied Linguistics 7, no. 2 (2016): 20-33.
- Katherine Christoffersen. "Mitigation of disagreement in peer review among L2 learners and native speakers in a college writing class," GiST Education and Learning Research Journal 11, (2015): 45-62.
- Katherine Christoffersen. Does child code-switching demonstrate communicative competence? A comparison of simultaneous and sequential bilinguals. Arizona Working Papers in Second Language Acquisition & Teaching, 21, 2014: 20-40.
- Katherine Christoffersen. "An analysis of sempre, mesmo, and bem: Brazilian Portuguese word order as applied to EFL instruction," Portuguese Language Journal 7, (2013): 1-23.
- Katherine Christoffersen. An ecological view of language choice in a bilingual program: A dynamic model of social structures. Working Papers in Educational Linguistics, 29, 2013: 37-54.
- ENGL 4395 01 - Adv Topics In English:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 6374 90L - Second Language Acquisition:
- Course Evaluations