Dr. Karen Lozano
Mechanical Engineering Professor, Innovator and Entrepreneur. Enjoys promoting the wonders of Science and Engineering.
Areas of Expertise
- Nanoreinforced polymer composites, Nanofiber synthesis and applications
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering and Materials , Rice University, 1999
- MS, Mechanical Engineering and Materials, Rice University, 1996
- BS, Mechanical Engineering/minor in Business, Universidad de Monterrey, 1993
- Q Li, X Sun, Karen Lozano, and Yuanbing Mao. Dependence of Photoelectrochemical Properties on Geometry Factors of Interconnected Caterpillar-like ZnO Networks. Electrochimica Acta, 2017.
- Karen Lozano. "Dodecylamine functionalization of carbon nanotubes to improve dispersion, thermal and mechanical properties of polyethylene based nanocomposites," Applied Surface Science (2017).
- Gheorghe Aldica, Magdalena Ciurea, Dorina Chipara, Ana Lepadatu, Karen Lozano, Ionel Stavarache, Stelian Popa, and Mircea Chipara. "Isotactic polypropylene–vapor grown carbon nanofibers composites: Electrical properties," Journal of Applied Polymer Science 134, no. 38 (2017).
- Karen Lozano. Nitrogen Doped Carbon Nanofibers derived from water-soluble precursors. Journal of Advances in Nanomaterials, 2017.
- Mircea Chipara, Brian Jones, Dorina Chipara, Jianhua Li, Karen Lozano, Shah Valloppilly, and David Sellmyer. "On orientation memory in high density polyethylene–carbon nanofibers composites," e-Polymers 17, no. 4 (2017): 303–310.
- Mandana Akia, Mircea Chipara, Yuanbing Mao, and Karen Lozano. "In Situ Production of Graphene-Fiber Hybrid Structures," ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 9, no. 30 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2017): 25474–25480.
- Karen Lozano. "Optimizing the dehydrogenation catalyst of higher normal paraffins supported on a nanocrystalline gamma alumina." . Catalysis Science & Technology , 2016.
- Karen Lozano. Fabrication of cellulose fine fiber based membranes embedded with silver nanoparticles via Forcespinning” . Journal of Polymer Engineering, 2016.
- Karen Lozano. High-Throughput of Multifunctional Carbon Nanofibers from Water Soluble Precursors. Chemical Fiber International, 2016.
- Karen Lozano. High-Throughput of Multifunctional Carbon Nanofibers from Water Soluble Precursors. TextileTechnology: Chemical Fibers International - Fiber production No 1, Document . Textile Technoloogy, 2016.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Karen Lozano. UTRGV-UMN Partnership for Fostering Innovation by Bridging Excellence in Research and Student Success, National Science Foundation, $3,000,000.00 (September 2015 - August 2020)
- Yuanbing Mao. IFSEEN-Integrating Food Science/Engineering & Education Network: An Educational Linkage to Collaboratively Generate Future Hispanic Food Safety/Science Professionals and Leaders, USDA NIFA, $2,000,000.00 (September 1, 2015 - August 31, 2019)
- Arturo Fuentes. NSF-STEM: A Focused Student Recruitment and Support Model for Attracting Top Achieving Scholars to Promote a Culture of Academic Excellence, National Science Foundation, $600,000.00 (September 1, 2012 - August 31, 2018)
- Karen Lozano. Endowment Julia Beecherl, $440,000.00 (September 2006 - August 2017)
- Karen Lozano. PREM-The University of Texas Pan American, National Science Foundation, $2,700,000.00 (September 2009 - August 2016)
- Karen Lozano. Development of BN Nanofibers, Industry, $100,000.00 (January 2015 - December 2015)
- Karen Lozano. Acquisition of Raman Spectroscopy, ( 2014)
- Karen Lozano. I-CORPS, National Science Foundation, $50,000.00 (2013 - 2014)
- Karen Lozano. Acquisition of an XPS, DoD, (September 2013 - August 2014)
- Jose Gutierrez. NSF Partnership for Research and Education in Materials; UTPA/ University of Minnesota: Science and Engineering of Polymeric and Nanoparticle-Based Materials for Electronic and Structural Applications, NSF, $2,486,418.00 (September 1, 2009 - August 31, 2014)
- Javier Ortega, Simon Padron, Glendimar Molero, Felipe De la Torre, and Karen Lozano. "DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF A PORTABLE HANDHELD DEVICE FOR NANOFIBERS PRODUCTION VIA FORCESPINNING," School of Medicine Inaugural Research Symposium, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Edinburg Conference Center at Renaissance, 118 Paseo del Prado, Edinburg, Texas (August 2017)
- Esteban Garcia, Karen Baylon, Astrid Rodriguez, Cristobal Rodriguez, Karen Lozano, and Robert Gilkerson. "TNF-α induces mitochondrial fragmentation in nanofiber grown 3T3 fibroblasts. ," SACNAS National Diversity in STEM Conference, Long Beach, CA (October 2016)
- Fernando Flor, Pullickel Ajayan, Alin Chipara, Karen Lozano, Dorina Chipara, Robert Vajtai, and Mircea Chipara. "On the Radial Breathing Mode in SWCNTs dispersed within PVC," March American Physical Society Meeting, American Physical Society, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. (March 2016)
- Arnold Fonseca, Dorina Chipara, Karen Lozano, and Mircea Chipara. "Wide Angle X-Ray Scattering Investigations on Irradiated iPP-VGCNF Nanocomposites.," March American Physical Society Meeting, American Physical Society, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. (March 2016)
- Alfonso Salinas, Charles Cartwright, Kevin Newcombe, Mircea Chipara, Elamin Ibrahim, James Hinthorne, Dorina Chipara, and Karen Lozano. "PEO-MWCNTs Nanocomposites: The Effect of the Nature of Solvent on the Morphology and Physical Properties of Nanocomposites," March American Physical Society Meeting, American Physical Society, San Antonio, Texas, USA (March 2015)
- Jorge Alarcon, Dorina Chipara, Karen Lozano, Mircea Chipara, Alin Chipara, Robert Vajtai, and Pullickel Ajayan. "On the Glass Transition in Polystyrene-TiO2 Nanocomposites," March American Physical Society Meeting, American Physical Society, Denver, Colorado, USA (March 2014)
- Mircea Chipara, Magdalena Ciurea, Karen Lozano, Gheorghe Aldica, Dorina Chipara, Stelian Popa, and Ionel Stavarache. "Electrical properties of isotactic polypropylene loaded with carbon nanofibers," March American Physical Society Meeting, American Physical Society, Baltimore, Maryland, USA (March 2013)
- Dorina Chipara, Alma Perez, Karen Lozano, Elamin Ibrahim, Jahaziel Villarreal, Alfonso Salinas, and Mircea Chipara. "Self-healing of polymeric materials: The effect of the amount of DCPD confined within microcapsules," March American Physical Society Meeting, American Physical Society, Baltimore, Maryland, USA (March 2013)
- Dorina Mihut, Karen Lozano, and H. Garcia. "Investigation on Structures Consisting of Aluminum Thin Films Deposited on High Density Polyethylene Substrates Reinforced with Carbon Nanofibers for Electromagnetic Interference Shielding," 55th Annual Technical Conference, Society of Vacuum Coaters, Santa Clara, CA (2012)
- Dorina Mihut, Karen Lozano, N. Flores, and R. Garcia. "Preparation and Characterization of Structures Composed of Nylon 6 Forcespun Nanofibers Coated with Thermal Evaporated Silver Thin Films," 55th Annual Technical Conference, Society of Vacuum Coaters, Santa Clara, CA (2012)
- MECE 6326 01 - Polymer Engineering:
- Course Evaluations
- MECE 4328 01 - Polymer Engineering:
- Course Evaluations
- MECE 3100 01 - Undergraduate Research:
- Course Evaluations