Juan C. Lopez-Alvarenga
Associate Professor of Research
Phone: (956) 665-6478
Dr. Juan C. Lopez-Alvarenga
Internal Medicine (El Salvador) and Endocrinology training at the National Institute of Medical Science and Nutrition Salvador Zubiran in Mexico City. He has vast experience as a clinical physician with a mathematical modeling background. His research interests are metabolism, obesity, and diabetes. He earned his MSc and DSc programs from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), which were conducted by professors from McMaster program for Clinical Epidemiology. He also has a certificate in Applied Statistics at the IIMAS-UNAM (Mexico) that included multivariate techniques. He has studied metabolism from diverse populations like South Indians, Inuit, Bedouins, and Mexican Americans. Statistics is an essential part of current medical knowledge; his goal is to make a robust clinical methodology, using broad statistical techniques. He was a Professor in the field of Multivariate Statistic Course for the MSc and DSc for the Medical Science program in the UNAM School of Medicine (SOM) for six years. Currently, he is a faculty member of the South Texas Diabetes and Obesity Institute since 2016 and the Medicine, Behavior and Society module UTRGV SOM SUCCESS curriculum since 2017. He is a founding member of the Journal Club for Complex Disease, that is held at the SOM with up-to-date information for translational research every month. He enjoys training medical students and residents, creating innovative ideas and new types of coffee flavors.
Areas of Expertise
- Genetic epidemiology
- Dyslipidemia and Insulin Resistance
- Whole Genome Scanning
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity
- D.Sc., Diabetes & Molecular Biology, National Autonomous University of Mexico, 2003
- MS, Diabetes , National Autonomous University of Mexico, 1997
- MD, Medicine, Universidad Evangelica de El Salvador, 1989
- M Romero-Ibarguengoitia, A Herrera-Rosas, A Domínguez-Mota, J Camas-Benitez, M Serratos-Canales, M León-Hernández, A González-Chávez, E López-Ortiz, Srinivas Mummidi, Ravindranath Duggirala, and Juan Alvarenga. "Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease can be predicted by retinal vascular changes in patients with obesity without hypertension or diabetes.," European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology 29, no. 8 (August 2017): 962-967.
- V Farook, L Reddivari, Srinivas Mummidi, S Puppala, Rector Arya, Juan Alvarenga, S Fowler, G Chittoor, R Resendez, B Kumar, A Comuzzie, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, Christopher Jenkinson, J Lynch, R DeFronzo, John Blangero, D Hale, Ravindranath Duggirala, and J Vanamala. "Genetics of serum carotenoid concentrations and their correlation with obesity-related traits in Mexican American children.," The American journal of clinical nutrition (May 2017).
- L Perez-Navarro, B Restrepo, F Fuentes-Dominguez, Ravindranath Duggirala, J Morales-Romero, J López-Alvarenga, I Comas, and R Zenteno-Cuevas. "The effect size of type 2 diabetes mellitus on tuberculosis drug resistance and adverse treatment outcomes.," Tuberculosis (Edinburgh, Scotland) 103, (March 2017): 83-91.
- N Garibay-Nieto, G Queipo-Garcia, F Alvarez-Huerta, M Bustos-Esquivel, E Villanueva-Ortega, F Ramirez, M Leon, E Laresgoiti-Servitje, Ravindranath Duggirala, T Macias, S Cuevas, A Jalife, M Fonseca-Sanchez, F Serratos, and J Lopez-Alvarenga. "Conjugated Linoleic Acid and Metformin on Insulin Sensitivity in obese children: Randomized Clinical Trial.," The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016): jc20162701.
- G Martin-Alemañy, R Valdez-Ortiz, G Olvera-Soto, I Gomez-Guerrero, G Aguire-Esquivel, G Cantu-Quintanilla, Juan Alvarenga, P Miranda-Alatriste, and A Espinosa-Cuevas. "The effects of resistance exercise and oral nutritional supplementation during hemodialysis on indicators of nutritional status and quality of life.," Nephrology, dialysis, transplantation : official publication of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association - European Renal Association 31, no. 10 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2016): 1712-20.
- M Olvera-Soto, R Valdez-Ortiz, J López Alvarenga, and L Espinosa-Cuevas Mde. "Effect of Resistance Exercises on the Indicators of Muscle Reserves and Handgrip Strength in Adult Patients on Hemodialysis.," Journal of renal nutrition : the official journal of the Council on Renal Nutrition of the National Kidney Foundation 26, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2016): 53-60.
- J Zaldivar Fujigaki, A Arroyo Valerio, J López Alvarenga, E Gutiérrez Reyes, D Kershenobich, and J Hernández Ruiz. "Alterations in Activation, Cytotoxic Capacity and Trafficking Profile of Peripheral CD8 T Cells in Young Adult Binge Drinkers.," PloS one 10, no. 7 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2015): e0132521.
- L Castellanos-Tapia, J López-Alvarenga, S Ebbesson, L Ebbesson, and M Tejero. "Apolipoprotein E isoforms 3/3 and 3/4 differentially interact with circulating stearic, palmitic, and oleic fatty acids and lipid levels in Alaskan Natives.," Nutrition research (New York, N.Y.) 35, no. 4 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2015): 294-300.
- Z Johnson, L Brent, Juan Alvarenga, A Comuzzie, W Shelledy, S Ramirez, L Cox, Michael Mahaney, Y Huang, J Mann, J Kaplan, and J Rogers. "Genetic influences on response to novel objects and dimensions of personality in Papio baboons.," Behavior genetics 45, no. 2 (March 2015): 215-27.
- V Hernandez-Escalante, E Nava-Gonzalez, V Voruganti, J Kent, K Haack, H Laviada-Molina, F Molina-Segui, E Gallegos-Cabriales, Juan Alvarenga, S Cole, M Mezzles, A Comuzzie, and R Bastarrachea. "Replication of obesity and diabetes-related SNP associations in individuals from Yucatán, México.," Frontiers in genetics 5, (November 2014): 380.