Phone: (956) 665-8779
Dr. Jonikka Charlton
- PhD, English, Purdue University, 2005
- MA, English, Texas A&M University - Commerce, 1998
- BA, English, East Texas State University, 1994
- Jonikka Charlton, Tarez Graban, and Colin Charlton. "Multivalent Composition and the Re-Invention of Expertise," Multimodal Literacies and Emerging Genres. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2013: 356.
- Jonikka Charlton, Colin Charlton, Tarez Graban, Kathleen Ryan, and Amy Stolley. GenAdmin: Theorizing WPA Identities in the 21st Century. Parlor Press, 2011.
- Jonikka Charlton. "Seeing is Believing: Writing Studies With ‘Basic Writing’ Students," BWe: Basic Writing e-Journal 8, no. 1 (2010).
- Jonikka Charlton and Colin Charlton. "The Illusion of Transparency at an HSI: A Pedagogical History of Becoming Public WPAs," Going Public: The WPA as Advocate for Engagement. Logan, UT: Utah State UP, 2010: 68-84.
- Jonikka Charlton. "The Future of Professionalization: A 2007 Survey," Praxis: A Writing Center Journal 7, no. 1 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2009).
- Jonikka Charlton and Shirley Rose. "Twenty More Years in the WPAs’ Progress," Writing Program Administration 33, no. 1-2 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2009): 114-45.
- Jonikka Charlton and Colin Charlton. Disintegrating Composition: A Reflection in Three. UTPA, 2008.
- Jonikka Charlton and Colin Charlton. Interacts: A Documentary of Student Writing. UTPA, 2007.
- Jonikka Charlton, Colin Charlton, and Bob Affeldt. What is Rhetoric & Composition?. UTPA, 2007.
- Jonikka Charlton and Colin Charlton. English 106_showcase04. Purdue University, 2004.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Kristin Croyle. Improving Hispanic Student Success through Experiential Learning, U.S. Dept of Education, $3,061,967.00 (2013 - 2019)
- Jonikka Charlton. Faculty Development Fund Award, (July 2011)
- Jonikka Charlton. Developmental Education Demonstration Projects for Public Universities, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board , $200,000.00 ( 2010)
- Jonikka Charlton. Council of Writing Program Administrators’ Research Grant - “The Assemblage Project.”, Council of Writing Program Administrators’ , $1,390.00 (March 2009)
- Jonikka Charlton. Faculty Development Grant Submission, ( )
- Jonikka Charlton. Faculty Development Fund Award, $1,603.00 (2005 - 2006)
- Colin Charlton, Virgil Pierce, and Jonikka Charlton. "UTRGV JumpStart-A New Model for Developmental Education Interventions," College for All Conference, PSJA, McAllen Convention Center (November 2016)
- Colin Charlton and Jonikka Charlton. "College Transitions: A Regional Approach to Developing and Aligning a High School-College Writing Curriculum in Response to HB5," South Texas College Summit on College and Career Readiness, South Texas College, Region 1-Edinburg TX (April 2016)
- Randall Monty, Colin Charlton, and Jonikka Charlton. "Developmental Education ESOL Programs in Texas: A Report for a 2014 Survey," Texas Community College Association Convention, Texas Community College Association, Dallas, TX (February 2015)
- Colin Charlton, Jonikka Charlton, Kathleen Ryan, and Amy Stolley. "Finding Ways to Flourish: An Interactive Discussion of Challenge and Choice," Council of Writing Program Administrators Conference, Albuquerque, NM (July 2012)
- Colin Charlton, Jonikka Charlton, Mauricio DeLeon, and Valerie Ortiz. "A Portrait of the STUDIO as a Young Space: Desiging, Assessing, and Questioning an Innovative Developmental English Program," College Academic Support Programs Conference, Austin, TX (October 2011)
- Jonikka Charlton and Colin Charlton. "A Year in the STUDIO: Launching, Assessing, and Questioning a New Developmental English," Writing Program Administrators’ Conference, Writing Program Administrators, Baton Rouge, LA (July 2011)
- Jonikka Charlton. "Profile of WPA Preparation," Conference on College Composition and Communication, Louisville, KY (March 2010)
- Jonikka Charlton and Colin Charlton. "GenAdmin Identity: Preparing the Next Wave of Writing Program/Writing Center Administrators," Conference on College Composition and Communication, San Francisco, CA (March 2009)
- Jonikka Charlton. "Twenty More Years in 'The WPA's Progress': A Report from Survey Research on WPA Work," Conference on College Composition and Communication, New Orleans, LA (2008)
- Jonikka Charlton. "GenAdmin: Making Sense of/for a New Generation of Writing Program Administrators," Writing Program Administrators' Conference, Denver, CO. (July 2008)