John D. Goins
Phone: (956) 665-3664
Dr. John D. Goins
Dr. John D. Goins Email: email@example.com Phone: (956) 665-3664 John Goins is currently a full time lecturer in the Department of History and Philosophy at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. He received his Ph.D. in 20th Century U.S. politics and society from the University of Houston in 2014. His dissertation entitled, “Confronting Itself: The AIDS Crisis and the LGBT Community in Houston,” examines the history of AIDS and the political organization of LGBT communities in Houston, Texas and the South, concurrently considering Texas politics and the influence of right wing conservatism during the 1980s. He received his MA in Postwar U.S. History from the University of Houston Clear Lake in 2007 and his BBA in Finance from Baylor University. He currently offers classes in U.S. and World History. His teaching and research interests include: Cold War popular culture, the history of social movement organizations, America in the 1960s and 1970s, minority studies, LGBT history and Queer Theory, as well as studies in gender and sexuality. He is presently new to the Rio Grande Valley having spent most of his life in the Dallas and Houston areas.
Areas of Expertise
- U.S. History Survey Courses, L.G.B.T. History, Cold War, Popular Culture, History of Social Movement Organizations, America in the 1960s and 1970s, Minority Studies, and Gender Studies
- PhD, History, The University of Houston, 2014
- MA, History, University of Houston - Clear Lake, 2007
- BA, Finance, Baylor University, 1979
- John Goins. Gay Pride Parades. Choice, February 2017.
- John Goins. . Middletown, CT: CHOICEconnect, 54, no. 1 September 2016.
- John Goins. Making Out in the Mainstream. No. September 2016.
- John Goins. "Forging A Community: The Rise of Gay Political Activism in Houston". 2010.
- John Goins. "Montrose is Not Just a Zip Code, It's an Attitude: Some Thoughts on Why the Neighborhood Became Houston's Gay Area," American Historical Association, New Orleans (January 2013)
- John Goins. "Politicking the Gay Cancer: Electoral Intransigence and the AIDS Response on Houston," CLGBTH of American Historical Association, Chicago, Illinoois (January 2012)
- John Goins. "From the GLF to the GPC : The Shift in Gay and Lesbian Activism," The Southwestern Historical Association Conference, Houston,Texas (April 2010)
- John Goins. "Early Gay and Lesbian Social Organization," Phi Alpha Theta Consortium , Bapist University, Houston (January 2009)
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER I 2016