Phone: (956) 882-7522
Dr. John Blangero
Areas of Expertise
- Statistical models for analysis of genetic data generated in large family studies
- High dimensional omic data analysis
- High throughput induced pluripotent stem cells
- Exposomics of chronic disease
- Genome editing
- Rector Arya, Agustin Escalante, Vidya Farook, Jose Restrepo, Daniel Battafarano, Marcio Almeida, Mark Kos, Marcel Fourcaudot, Srinivas Mummidi, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, Christopher Jenkinson, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and Inmaculada del Rincon. "A genetic association study of carotid intima-media thickness (CIMT) and plaque in Mexican Americans and European Americans with rheumatoid arthritis," Atherosclerosis 271, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2018): 92-101.
- Rector Arya, Agustin Escalante, Vidya Farook, Jose Restrepo, Daniel Battafarano, Marcio Almeida, Mark Kos, Marcel Fourcaudot, Srinivas Mummidi, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, Christopher Jenkinson, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and Inmaculada del Rincon. "Data on genetic associations of carotid atherosclerosis markers in Mexican American and European American rheumatoid arthritis subjects," Data in Brief 17, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2018): 820-829.
- M Ramstetter, Thomas Dyer, D Lehman, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, J Mezey, and A Williams. "Benchmarking Relatedness Inference Methods with Genome-Wide Data from Thousands of Relatives.," Genetics 207, no. 1 (September 2017): 75-82.
- S Mathias, J Barrett, T Beetham, O Leach, S Buccheri, K Aberizk, John Blangero, R Poldrack, and D Glahn. "Deficits in visual working-memory capacity and general cognition in African Americans with psychosis.," Schizophrenia research (August 2017).
- N Blackburn, J Marthick, A Banks, J Charlesworth, K Marsden, R Lowenthal, John Blangero, and J Dickinson. Evaluating a CLL susceptibility variant in ITGB2 in families with multiple subtypes of hematological malignancies.. Blood, 130, no. 1 July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2017: 86-88.
- N Lake, R Taylor, H Trahair, K Harikrishnan, Joanne Curran, M Almeida, Hemant Kulkarni, N Mukhamedova, A Hoang, H Low, Alicia Murphy, Matthew Johnson, Thomas Dyer, Michael Mahaney, E Moses, D Sviridov, John Blangero, and K Bozaoglu. "TRAK2, a novel regulator of ABCA1 expression, cholesterol efflux and HDL biogenesis.," European heart journal (June 2017).
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, G Wong, J Weir, C Barlow, Thomas Dyer, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Meikle, John Blangero, and Joanne Curran. "Genetic correlation of the plasma lipidome with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and insulin resistance in Mexican American families.," BMC genetics 18, no. 1 (May 2017): 48.
- V Farook, L Reddivari, Srinivas Mummidi, S Puppala, Rector Arya, Juan Alvarenga, S Fowler, G Chittoor, R Resendez, B Kumar, A Comuzzie, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, Christopher Jenkinson, J Lynch, R DeFronzo, John Blangero, D Hale, Ravindranath Duggirala, and J Vanamala. "Genetics of serum carotenoid concentrations and their correlation with obesity-related traits in Mexican American children.," The American journal of clinical nutrition (May 2017).
- K Hodgson, M Carless, Hemant Kulkarni, Joanne Curran, E Sprooten, E Knowles, S Mathias, N Yao, R Olvera, P Fox, L Almasy, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and D Glahn. "Epigenetic Age Acceleration Assessed with Human White-Matter Images.," The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience 37, no. 18 (May 2017): 4735-4743.
- E Knowles, P Meikle, K Huynh, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "Serum phosphatidylinositol as a biomarker for bipolar disorder liability.," Bipolar disorders 19, no. 2 (March 2017): 107-115.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- John Blangero. Gene Networks Influencing Psychotic Dysconnectivity in African Americans (Year 01 - 2014; Year 02 - 2015), NIH/NIMH (Yale), $1,579,873.00 (December 10, 2014 - November 30, 2019)
- John Blangero. Discovery of Functional Variants in Type 2 Diabetes Genes in Mexican Americans, NIH/NIDDK, $3,715,060.00 (May 1, 2009 - April 30, 2019)
- John Blangero. 2/3: Pedigree-Based Whole Genome Sequencing of Affective and Psychotic Disorders, NIH/NIMH, $4,057,483.00 (March 1, 2015 - February 28, 2019)
- John Blangero. Examination of Sequence Variants in Large Human Pedigrees to Identify Novel Genetics Variants Involved in Cardiac (Patho) Physiology, Eli Lilly, $408,728.00 (November 12, 2015 - November 12, 2018)
- John Blangero. Neurodevelopment: Genes, Environment and their Interactions, NIH/NIMH, $820,284.00 (August 1, 2015 - May 31, 2018)
- John Blangero. Whole Genome Sequencing to Identify Casual Genetic Variants Influencing CVD Risk, NIH/NHLBI, $8,198,955.00 (April 15, 2012 - March 31, 2017)
- Eron Manusov, Jesus Garza, Vincent Diego, John Lowdermilk, John Blangero, and Sarah Williams-Blangero. "UniMovil: A Mobile Health Clinic Providing Primary Care to the Colonias of the Rio Grande Valley, Texas.," UTRGV Annual Scientific Conference, UTRGV, Edinburg Texas (September 2018)
- Mark Kos, M Carless, J Peralta, M Almeida, R Gur, M Pogue-Geile, D Roalf, V Nimgaonkar, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, D Glahn, John Blangero, R Gur, and L Almasy. "Exome sequence data from multigenerational families implicate AMPA receptor trafficking in neurocognitive impairment and schizophrenia risk.," 22nd World Congress of Psychiatric Genetics, Copenhagen, Denmark (2014)
- Mark Kos, D Glahn, M Carless, R Olvera, J Kent, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and L Almasy. "Novel quantitative trait locus for an alcoholism-related phenotype.," 20th World Congress of Psychiatric Genetics, Hamburg, Germany (2012)
- Mark Kos, M Carless, J Peralta, E Quillen, R Gur, M Pogue-Geile, K Prasad, John Blangero, V Nimgaonkar, R Gur, and L Almasy. "Exome sequencing of multiplex, schizophrenic families implicates variants from chromosome 5q in neurocognitive performance.," 62nd American Society of Human Genetics, San Francisco, CA (2012)
- Mark Kos, J Neary, D Cruz, H Kulkarni, Joanne Curran, L Almasy, R Olvera, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Thompson, D Glahn, John Blangero, and M Carless. "Association of microRNA expression with diagnoses of major depression (MDD) and the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) test.," 9th GeneMappers, Port Douglas, Australia (2012)