Phone: (956) 882-7522
Dr. John Blangero
Areas of Expertise
- Statistical models for analysis of genetic data generated in large family studies
- High dimensional omic data analysis
- High throughput induced pluripotent stem cells
- Exposomics of chronic disease
- Genome editing
- M Ramstetter, Thomas Dyer, D Lehman, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, J Mezey, and A Williams. "Benchmarking Relatedness Inference Methods with Genome-Wide Data from Thousands of Relatives.," Genetics 207, no. 1 (September 2017): 75-82.
- S Mathias, J Barrett, T Beetham, O Leach, S Buccheri, K Aberizk, John Blangero, R Poldrack, and D Glahn. "Deficits in visual working-memory capacity and general cognition in African Americans with psychosis.," Schizophrenia research (August 2017).
- N Blackburn, J Marthick, A Banks, J Charlesworth, K Marsden, R Lowenthal, John Blangero, and J Dickinson. Evaluating a CLL susceptibility variant in ITGB2 in families with multiple subtypes of hematological malignancies.. Blood, 130, no. 1 July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2017: 86-88.
- N Lake, R Taylor, H Trahair, K Harikrishnan, Joanne Curran, M Almeida, Hemant Kulkarni, N Mukhamedova, A Hoang, H Low, Alicia Murphy, Matthew Johnson, Thomas Dyer, Michael Mahaney, E Moses, D Sviridov, John Blangero, and K Bozaoglu. "TRAK2, a novel regulator of ABCA1 expression, cholesterol efflux and HDL biogenesis.," European heart journal (June 2017).
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, G Wong, J Weir, C Barlow, Thomas Dyer, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Meikle, John Blangero, and Joanne Curran. "Genetic correlation of the plasma lipidome with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and insulin resistance in Mexican American families.," BMC genetics 18, no. 1 (May 2017): 48.
- V Farook, L Reddivari, Srinivas Mummidi, S Puppala, Rector Arya, Juan Alvarenga, S Fowler, G Chittoor, R Resendez, B Kumar, A Comuzzie, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, Christopher Jenkinson, J Lynch, R DeFronzo, John Blangero, D Hale, Ravindranath Duggirala, and J Vanamala. "Genetics of serum carotenoid concentrations and their correlation with obesity-related traits in Mexican American children.," The American journal of clinical nutrition (May 2017).
- K Hodgson, M Carless, Hemant Kulkarni, Joanne Curran, E Sprooten, E Knowles, S Mathias, N Yao, R Olvera, P Fox, L Almasy, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and D Glahn. "Epigenetic Age Acceleration Assessed with Human White-Matter Images.," The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience 37, no. 18 (May 2017): 4735-4743.
- E Knowles, P Meikle, K Huynh, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "Serum phosphatidylinositol as a biomarker for bipolar disorder liability.," Bipolar disorders 19, no. 2 (March 2017): 107-115.
- E Knowles, K Huynh, P Meikle, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "The lipidome in major depressive disorder: Shared genetic influence for ether-phosphatidylcholines, a plasma-based phenotype related to inflammation, and disease risk.," European psychiatry : the journal of the Association of European Psychiatrists 43, (February 2017): 44-50.
- D Hibar, H Adams, N Jahanshad, G Chauhan, J Stein, E Hofer, M Renteria, J Bis, A Arias-Vasquez, M Ikram, S Desrivières, M Vernooij, L Abramovic, S Alhusaini, N Amin, M Andersson, K Arfanakis, B Aribisala, N Armstrong, L Athanasiu, T Axelsson, A Beecham, A Beiser, M Bernard, S Blanton, M Bohlken, M Boks, J Bralten, A Brickman, O Carmichael, M Chakravarty, Q Chen, C Ching, V Chouraki, G Cuellar-Partida, F Crivello, A Den Braber, N Doan, S Ehrlich, S Giddaluru, A Goldman, R Gottesman, O Grimm, M Griswold, T Guadalupe, B Gutman, J Hass, U Haukvik, D Hoehn, A Holmes, M Hoogman, D Janowitz, T Jia, K Jørgensen, N Karbalai, D Kasperaviciute, S Kim, M Klein, B Kraemer, P Lee, D Liewald, L Lopez, M Luciano, C Macare, A Marquand, M Matarin, K Mather, M Mattheisen, D McKay, Y Milaneschi, S Muñoz Maniega, K Nho, A Nugent, P Nyquist, L Loohuis, J Oosterlaan, M Papmeyer, L Pirpamer, B Pütz, A Ramasamy, J Richards, S Risacher, R Roiz-Santiañez, N Rommelse, S Ropele, E Rose, N Royle, T Rundek, P Sämann, A Saremi, C Satizabal, L Schmaal, A Schork, L Shen, J Shin, E Shumskaya, A Smith, E Sprooten, L Strike, A Teumer, D Tordesillas-Gutierrez, R Toro, D Trabzuni, S Trompet, D Vaidya, J Van der Grond, S Van der Lee, D Van der Meer, M Van Donkelaar, K Van Eijk, T Van Erp, D Van Rooij, E Walton, L Westlye, C Whelan, B Windham, A Winkler, K Wittfeld, G Woldehawariat, C Wolf, T Wolfers, L Yanek, J Yang, A Zijdenbos, M Zwiers, I Agartz, L Almasy, D Ames, P Amouyel, O Andreassen, S Arepalli, A Assareh, S Barral, M Bastin, D Becker, J Becker, D Bennett, John Blangero, H van Bokhoven, D Boomsma, H Brodaty, R Brouwer, H Brunner, R Buckner, J Buitelaar, K Bulayeva, W Cahn, V Calhoun, D Cannon, G Cavalleri, CY Cheng, S Cichon, M Cookson, A Corvin, B Crespo-Facorro, Joanne Curran, M Czisch, A Dale, G Davies, A De Craen, E De Geus, P De Jager, G De Zubicaray, I Deary, S Debette, C DeCarli, N Delanty, C Depondt, A DeStefano, A Dillman, S Djurovic, G Donohoe, W Drevets, Ravindranath Duggirala, Thomas Dyer, C Enzinger, S Erk, T Espeseth, I Fedko, G Fernández, L Ferrucci, S Fisher, D Fleischman, I Ford, M Fornage, T Foroud, P Fox, C Francks, M Fukunaga, J Gibbs, D Glahn, R Gollub, Harald Goring, R Green, O Gruber, V Gudnason, S Guelfi, A Håberg, N Hansell, J Hardy, C Hartman, R Hashimoto, K Hegenscheid, A Heinz, S Le Hellard, D Hernandez, D Heslenfeld, B Ho, P Hoekstra, W Hoffmann, A Hofman, F Holsboer, G Homuth, N Hosten, J Hottenga, M Huentelman, H Pol, M Ikeda, C Jack, Jr, M Jenkinson, R Johnson, E Jönsson, J Jukema, R Kahn, R Kanai, I Kloszewska, D Knopman, P Kochunov, J Kwok, S Lawrie, H Lemaître, X Liu, D Longo, O Lopez, S Lovestone, O Martinez, J Martinot, V Mattay, C McDonald, A McIntosh, F McMahon, K McMahon, P Mecocci, I Melle, A Meyer-Lindenberg, S Mohnke, G Montgomery, D Morris, T Mosley, T Mühleisen, B Müller-Myhsok, M Nalls, M Nauck, T Nichols, W Niessen, M Nöthen, L Nyberg, K Ohi, R Olvera, R Ophoff, M Pandolfo, T Paus, Z Pausova, B Penninx, G Pike, S Potkin, B Psaty, S Reppermund, M Rietschel, J Roffman, N Romanczuk-Seiferth, J Rotter, M Ryten, R Sacco, P Sachdev, A Saykin, R Schmidt, H Schmidt, P Schofield, S Sigursson, A Simmons, A Singleton, S Sisodiya, C Smith, J Smoller, H Soininen, V Steen, D Stott, J Sussmann, A Thalamuthu, A Toga, B Traynor, J Troncoso, M Tsolaki, C Tzourio, A Uitterlinden, M Hernández, M Van der Brug, A van der Lugt, N van der Wee, N Van Haren, D van 't Ent, M Van Tol, B Vardarajan, B Vellas, D Veltman, H Völzke, H Walter, J Wardlaw, T Wassink, M Weale, D Weinberger, M Weiner, W Wen, E Westman, T White, T Wong, C Wright, R Zielke, A Zonderman, N Martin, C Van Duijn, M Wright, W Longstreth, G Schumann, H Grabe, B Franke, L Launer, S Medland, S Seshadri, P Thompson, and M Ikram. "Novel genetic loci associated with hippocampal volume.," Nature communications 8, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 13624.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- John Blangero. Gene Networks Influencing Psychotic Dysconnectivity in African Americans (Year 01 - 2014; Year 02 - 2015), NIH/NIMH (Yale), $1,579,873.00 (December 10, 2014 - November 30, 2019)
- John Blangero. Discovery of Functional Variants in Type 2 Diabetes Genes in Mexican Americans, NIH/NIDDK, $3,715,060.00 (May 1, 2009 - April 30, 2019)
- John Blangero. 2/3: Pedigree-Based Whole Genome Sequencing of Affective and Psychotic Disorders, NIH/NIMH, $4,057,483.00 (March 1, 2015 - February 28, 2019)
- John Blangero. Examination of Sequence Variants in Large Human Pedigrees to Identify Novel Genetics Variants Involved in Cardiac (Patho) Physiology, Eli Lilly, $408,728.00 (November 12, 2015 - November 12, 2018)
- John Blangero. Neurodevelopment: Genes, Environment and their Interactions, NIH/NIMH, $820,284.00 (August 1, 2015 - May 31, 2018)
- John Blangero. Whole Genome Sequencing to Identify Casual Genetic Variants Influencing CVD Risk, NIH/NHLBI, $8,198,955.00 (April 15, 2012 - March 31, 2017)