Joanne E. Curran
Phone: (956) 882-7532
Professor Joanne E. Curran
Dr. Curran is a molecular geneticist with more than 15 years of experience in the genetic analysis of human complex diseases. Her main research interest lies in the identification and characterization of susceptibility genes for disease conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease and related complications in the general population; with the ultimate objective of gaining an insight into the biological pathways involved in disease pathogenesis. She has extensive experience in high-throughput genomic technologies and is now focused on applying these novel genomics approaches to help understand the genetic underpinnings of disease.
Areas of Expertise
- Molecular genetics
- Heart disease, diabetes, obesity, neuropsychiatric disorders
- PhD, Molecular Genetics, Griffith University, 2002
- BH.Sc. (Hons), Molecular Genetics, Griffith University, 1998
- BS, Applied Biology, Griffith University, 1997
- Rector Arya, Agustin Escalante, Vidya Farook, Jose Restrepo, Daniel Battafarano, Marcio Almeida, Mark Kos, Marcel Fourcaudot, Srinivas Mummidi, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, Christopher Jenkinson, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and Inmaculada del Rincon. "A genetic association study of carotid intima-media thickness (CIMT) and plaque in Mexican Americans and European Americans with rheumatoid arthritis," Atherosclerosis 271, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2018): 92-101.
- Rector Arya, Agustin Escalante, Vidya Farook, Jose Restrepo, Daniel Battafarano, Marcio Almeida, Mark Kos, Marcel Fourcaudot, Srinivas Mummidi, Satish Kumar, Joanne Curran, Christopher Jenkinson, John Blangero, Ravindranath Duggirala, and Inmaculada del Rincon. "Data on genetic associations of carotid atherosclerosis markers in Mexican American and European American rheumatoid arthritis subjects," Data in Brief 17, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2018): 820-829.
- Mark Kos, M Carless, J Peralta, Joanne Curran, E Quillen, M Almeida, A Blackburn, L Blondell, D Roalf, M Pogue-Geile, R Gur, Harald Goring, V Nimgaonkar, R Gur, and L Almasy. "Exome sequences of multiplex, multigenerational families reveal schizophrenia risk loci with potential implications for neurocognitive performance.," American journal of medical genetics. Part B, Neuropsychiatric genetics : the official publication of the International Society of Psychiatric Genetics (September 2017).
- M Ramstetter, Thomas Dyer, D Lehman, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, J Mezey, and A Williams. "Benchmarking Relatedness Inference Methods with Genome-Wide Data from Thousands of Relatives.," Genetics 207, no. 1 (September 2017): 75-82.
- N Lake, R Taylor, H Trahair, K Harikrishnan, Joanne Curran, M Almeida, Hemant Kulkarni, N Mukhamedova, A Hoang, H Low, Alicia Murphy, Matthew Johnson, Thomas Dyer, Michael Mahaney, E Moses, D Sviridov, John Blangero, and K Bozaoglu. "TRAK2, a novel regulator of ABCA1 expression, cholesterol efflux and HDL biogenesis.," European heart journal (June 2017).
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, G Wong, J Weir, C Barlow, Thomas Dyer, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Meikle, John Blangero, and Joanne Curran. "Genetic correlation of the plasma lipidome with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and insulin resistance in Mexican American families.," BMC genetics 18, no. 1 (May 2017): 48.
- V Farook, L Reddivari, Srinivas Mummidi, S Puppala, Rector Arya, Juan Alvarenga, S Fowler, G Chittoor, R Resendez, B Kumar, A Comuzzie, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, Christopher Jenkinson, J Lynch, R DeFronzo, John Blangero, D Hale, Ravindranath Duggirala, and J Vanamala. "Genetics of serum carotenoid concentrations and their correlation with obesity-related traits in Mexican American children.," The American journal of clinical nutrition (May 2017).
- K Hodgson, M Carless, Hemant Kulkarni, Joanne Curran, E Sprooten, E Knowles, S Mathias, N Yao, R Olvera, P Fox, L Almasy, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and D Glahn. "Epigenetic Age Acceleration Assessed with Human White-Matter Images.," The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience 37, no. 18 (May 2017): 4735-4743.
- E Knowles, P Meikle, K Huynh, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "Serum phosphatidylinositol as a biomarker for bipolar disorder liability.," Bipolar disorders 19, no. 2 (March 2017): 107-115.
- E Knowles, K Huynh, P Meikle, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "The lipidome in major depressive disorder: Shared genetic influence for ether-phosphatidylcholines, a plasma-based phenotype related to inflammation, and disease risk.," European psychiatry : the journal of the Association of European Psychiatrists 43, (February 2017): 44-50.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Joanne Curran. Telomere Length Dynamics in Relation to Changes in Adiposity and Metabolic Risk, NIH, (September 23, 2016 - August 31, 2021)
- Joanne Curran. A Neurobehavioral Family Study of Schizophrenia, NIH, (January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2018)
- Joanne Curran. Examination of Sequence Variants in Large Human Pedigrees to Identify Novel Genetics Variants Involved in Cardiac (Patho) Physiology, Eli Lilly, $408,728.00 (November 12, 2015 - November 12, 2018)
- Joanne Curran. Whole Genome Sequencing to Identify Causal Genetic Variants Influencing CVD Risk, NIH/NHLBI, $4,825,295.00 (April 1, 2012 - March 31, 2018)
- Mariana Devlin. Tackling a turtle tumor threat - an RGV community partnership to research sea turtle fibropapilloma, UTRGV Strategic Planning, $20,000.00 (January 2018)
- Joanne Curran. "The Role of the Human Lipidome in Disease," Translational Research Seminar Series, UT Houston School of Public Health, UT Houston School of Public Health, Brownsville (November 2016)
- Joanne Curran. "The Role of the Human Lipidome in Disease," Women's Faculty Network, UTRGV, UTRGV, UTRGV (May 2016)
- Joanne Curran. "South Texas Diabetes and Obesity Institute," UT System Sanofi Symposium, UT System, Austin (July 2015)
- Mark Kos, M Carless, J Peralta, M Almeida, R Gur, M Pogue-Geile, D Roalf, V Nimgaonkar, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, D Glahn, John Blangero, R Gur, and L Almasy. "Exome sequence data from multigenerational families implicate AMPA receptor trafficking in neurocognitive impairment and schizophrenia risk.," 22nd World Congress of Psychiatric Genetics, Copenhagen, Denmark (2014)
- Mark Kos, D Glahn, M Carless, R Olvera, J Kent, Thomas Dyer, Harald Goring, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and L Almasy. "Novel quantitative trait locus for an alcoholism-related phenotype.," 20th World Congress of Psychiatric Genetics, Hamburg, Germany (2012)
- Mark Kos, J Neary, D Cruz, H Kulkarni, Joanne Curran, L Almasy, R Olvera, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Thompson, D Glahn, John Blangero, and M Carless. "Association of microRNA expression with diagnoses of major depression (MDD) and the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) test.," 9th GeneMappers, Port Douglas, Australia (2012)