Joanne E. Curran
Phone: (956) 882-7532
Professor Joanne E. Curran
Dr. Curran is a molecular geneticist with more than 15 years of experience in the genetic analysis of human complex diseases. Her main research interest lies in the identification and characterization of susceptibility genes for disease conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease and related complications in the general population; with the ultimate objective of gaining an insight into the biological pathways involved in disease pathogenesis. She has extensive experience in high-throughput genomic technologies and is now focused on applying these novel genomics approaches to help understand the genetic underpinnings of disease.
Areas of Expertise
- Molecular genetics
- Heart disease, diabetes, obesity, neuropsychiatric disorders
- PhD, Molecular Genetics, Griffith University, 2002
- BH.Sc. (Hons), Molecular Genetics, Griffith University, 1998
- BS, Applied Biology, Griffith University, 1997
- Mark Kos, M Carless, J Peralta, Joanne Curran, E Quillen, M Almeida, A Blackburn, L Blondell, D Roalf, M Pogue-Geile, R Gur, Harald Goring, V Nimgaonkar, R Gur, and L Almasy. "Exome sequences of multiplex, multigenerational families reveal schizophrenia risk loci with potential implications for neurocognitive performance.," American journal of medical genetics. Part B, Neuropsychiatric genetics : the official publication of the International Society of Psychiatric Genetics (September 2017).
- M Ramstetter, Thomas Dyer, D Lehman, Joanne Curran, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, J Mezey, and A Williams. "Benchmarking Relatedness Inference Methods with Genome-Wide Data from Thousands of Relatives.," Genetics 207, no. 1 (September 2017): 75-82.
- N Lake, R Taylor, H Trahair, K Harikrishnan, Joanne Curran, M Almeida, Hemant Kulkarni, N Mukhamedova, A Hoang, H Low, Alicia Murphy, Matthew Johnson, Thomas Dyer, Michael Mahaney, E Moses, D Sviridov, John Blangero, and K Bozaoglu. "TRAK2, a novel regulator of ABCA1 expression, cholesterol efflux and HDL biogenesis.," European heart journal (June 2017).
- Hemant Kulkarni, Manju Mamtani, G Wong, J Weir, C Barlow, Thomas Dyer, L Almasy, Michael Mahaney, A Comuzzie, Ravindranath Duggirala, P Meikle, John Blangero, and Joanne Curran. "Genetic correlation of the plasma lipidome with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and insulin resistance in Mexican American families.," BMC genetics 18, no. 1 (May 2017): 48.
- V Farook, L Reddivari, Srinivas Mummidi, S Puppala, Rector Arya, Juan Alvarenga, S Fowler, G Chittoor, R Resendez, B Kumar, A Comuzzie, Joanne Curran, D Lehman, Christopher Jenkinson, J Lynch, R DeFronzo, John Blangero, D Hale, Ravindranath Duggirala, and J Vanamala. "Genetics of serum carotenoid concentrations and their correlation with obesity-related traits in Mexican American children.," The American journal of clinical nutrition (May 2017).
- K Hodgson, M Carless, Hemant Kulkarni, Joanne Curran, E Sprooten, E Knowles, S Mathias, N Yao, R Olvera, P Fox, L Almasy, Ravindranath Duggirala, John Blangero, and D Glahn. "Epigenetic Age Acceleration Assessed with Human White-Matter Images.," The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience 37, no. 18 (May 2017): 4735-4743.
- E Knowles, P Meikle, K Huynh, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "Serum phosphatidylinositol as a biomarker for bipolar disorder liability.," Bipolar disorders 19, no. 2 (March 2017): 107-115.
- E Knowles, K Huynh, P Meikle, Harald Goring, R Olvera, S Mathias, Ravindranath Duggirala, L Almasy, John Blangero, Joanne Curran, and D Glahn. "The lipidome in major depressive disorder: Shared genetic influence for ether-phosphatidylcholines, a plasma-based phenotype related to inflammation, and disease risk.," European psychiatry : the journal of the Association of European Psychiatrists 43, (February 2017): 44-50.
- D Hibar, H Adams, N Jahanshad, G Chauhan, J Stein, E Hofer, M Renteria, J Bis, A Arias-Vasquez, M Ikram, S Desrivières, M Vernooij, L Abramovic, S Alhusaini, N Amin, M Andersson, K Arfanakis, B Aribisala, N Armstrong, L Athanasiu, T Axelsson, A Beecham, A Beiser, M Bernard, S Blanton, M Bohlken, M Boks, J Bralten, A Brickman, O Carmichael, M Chakravarty, Q Chen, C Ching, V Chouraki, G Cuellar-Partida, F Crivello, A Den Braber, N Doan, S Ehrlich, S Giddaluru, A Goldman, R Gottesman, O Grimm, M Griswold, T Guadalupe, B Gutman, J Hass, U Haukvik, D Hoehn, A Holmes, M Hoogman, D Janowitz, T Jia, K Jørgensen, N Karbalai, D Kasperaviciute, S Kim, M Klein, B Kraemer, P Lee, D Liewald, L Lopez, M Luciano, C Macare, A Marquand, M Matarin, K Mather, M Mattheisen, D McKay, Y Milaneschi, S Muñoz Maniega, K Nho, A Nugent, P Nyquist, L Loohuis, J Oosterlaan, M Papmeyer, L Pirpamer, B Pütz, A Ramasamy, J Richards, S Risacher, R Roiz-Santiañez, N Rommelse, S Ropele, E Rose, N Royle, T Rundek, P Sämann, A Saremi, C Satizabal, L Schmaal, A Schork, L Shen, J Shin, E Shumskaya, A Smith, E Sprooten, L Strike, A Teumer, D Tordesillas-Gutierrez, R Toro, D Trabzuni, S Trompet, D Vaidya, J Van der Grond, S Van der Lee, D Van der Meer, M Van Donkelaar, K Van Eijk, T Van Erp, D Van Rooij, E Walton, L Westlye, C Whelan, B Windham, A Winkler, K Wittfeld, G Woldehawariat, C Wolf, T Wolfers, L Yanek, J Yang, A Zijdenbos, M Zwiers, I Agartz, L Almasy, D Ames, P Amouyel, O Andreassen, S Arepalli, A Assareh, S Barral, M Bastin, D Becker, J Becker, D Bennett, John Blangero, H van Bokhoven, D Boomsma, H Brodaty, R Brouwer, H Brunner, R Buckner, J Buitelaar, K Bulayeva, W Cahn, V Calhoun, D Cannon, G Cavalleri, CY Cheng, S Cichon, M Cookson, A Corvin, B Crespo-Facorro, Joanne Curran, M Czisch, A Dale, G Davies, A De Craen, E De Geus, P De Jager, G De Zubicaray, I Deary, S Debette, C DeCarli, N Delanty, C Depondt, A DeStefano, A Dillman, S Djurovic, G Donohoe, W Drevets, Ravindranath Duggirala, Thomas Dyer, C Enzinger, S Erk, T Espeseth, I Fedko, G Fernández, L Ferrucci, S Fisher, D Fleischman, I Ford, M Fornage, T Foroud, P Fox, C Francks, M Fukunaga, J Gibbs, D Glahn, R Gollub, Harald Goring, R Green, O Gruber, V Gudnason, S Guelfi, A Håberg, N Hansell, J Hardy, C Hartman, R Hashimoto, K Hegenscheid, A Heinz, S Le Hellard, D Hernandez, D Heslenfeld, B Ho, P Hoekstra, W Hoffmann, A Hofman, F Holsboer, G Homuth, N Hosten, J Hottenga, M Huentelman, H Pol, M Ikeda, C Jack, Jr, M Jenkinson, R Johnson, E Jönsson, J Jukema, R Kahn, R Kanai, I Kloszewska, D Knopman, P Kochunov, J Kwok, S Lawrie, H Lemaître, X Liu, D Longo, O Lopez, S Lovestone, O Martinez, J Martinot, V Mattay, C McDonald, A McIntosh, F McMahon, K McMahon, P Mecocci, I Melle, A Meyer-Lindenberg, S Mohnke, G Montgomery, D Morris, T Mosley, T Mühleisen, B Müller-Myhsok, M Nalls, M Nauck, T Nichols, W Niessen, M Nöthen, L Nyberg, K Ohi, R Olvera, R Ophoff, M Pandolfo, T Paus, Z Pausova, B Penninx, G Pike, S Potkin, B Psaty, S Reppermund, M Rietschel, J Roffman, N Romanczuk-Seiferth, J Rotter, M Ryten, R Sacco, P Sachdev, A Saykin, R Schmidt, H Schmidt, P Schofield, S Sigursson, A Simmons, A Singleton, S Sisodiya, C Smith, J Smoller, H Soininen, V Steen, D Stott, J Sussmann, A Thalamuthu, A Toga, B Traynor, J Troncoso, M Tsolaki, C Tzourio, A Uitterlinden, M Hernández, M Van der Brug, A van der Lugt, N van der Wee, N Van Haren, D van 't Ent, M Van Tol, B Vardarajan, B Vellas, D Veltman, H Völzke, H Walter, J Wardlaw, T Wassink, M Weale, D Weinberger, M Weiner, W Wen, E Westman, T White, T Wong, C Wright, R Zielke, A Zonderman, N Martin, C Van Duijn, M Wright, W Longstreth, G Schumann, H Grabe, B Franke, L Launer, S Medland, S Seshadri, P Thompson, and M Ikram. "Novel genetic loci associated with hippocampal volume.," Nature communications 8, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 13624.
- L Weerasekera, C Rudnicka, Q Sang, Joanne Curran, Matthew Johnson, E Moses, Harald Goring, John Blangero, J Hricova, M Schlaich, and V Matthews. "ADAM19: A Novel Target for Metabolic Syndrome in Humans and Mice.," Mediators of inflammation 2017, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 7281986.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Joanne Curran. Telomere Length Dynamics in Relation to Changes in Adiposity and Metabolic Risk, NIH, (September 23, 2016 - August 31, 2021)
- Joanne Curran. A Neurobehavioral Family Study of Schizophrenia, NIH, (January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2018)
- Joanne Curran. Examination of Sequence Variants in Large Human Pedigrees to Identify Novel Genetics Variants Involved in Cardiac (Patho) Physiology, Eli Lilly, $408,728.00 (November 12, 2015 - November 12, 2018)
- Joanne Curran. Whole Genome Sequencing to Identify Causal Genetic Variants Influencing CVD Risk, NIH/NHLBI, $4,825,295.00 (April 1, 2012 - March 31, 2018)
- Joanne Curran. "The Role of the Human Lipidome in Disease," Translational Research Seminar Series, UT Houston School of Public Health, UT Houston School of Public Health, Brownsville (November 2016)
- Joanne Curran. "The Role of the Human Lipidome in Disease," Women's Faculty Network, UTRGV, UTRGV, UTRGV (May 2016)
- Joanne Curran. "South Texas Diabetes and Obesity Institute," UT System Sanofi Symposium, UT System, Austin (July 2015)