Phone: (956) 665-2689
Dr. Jerwen Jou
Areas of Expertise
- False memory
- Serial‑order memory
- Judgment and decision making under uncertainty
- Unconscious perception and cognition
- PhD, Psychology, Kansas State University, 1990
- MS, Experimental Psychology, East Texas State University, 1980
- MA, Linguistics, Fujen University, Taiwan, 1975
- BA, Education, National Chengchi University, Taiwan, 1969
- Jerwen Jou. "The Role of Decision Criterion in the DRM False Recognition Memory: False Memory Falls and Rises As a Function of Restriction on Criterion Setting. ," Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. (2017).
- Jerwen Jou. "Unconscious integration of pointing relation between two masked arrows," Visual Cognition (2017).
- Jerwen Jou. "Pure partial awareness or interaction between the mask and the masked stimuli," Psychology no. 7 (2016): 733-740.
- Jerwen Jou. "The Effects of Weak Versus Strong relational judgments on Response Bias in Two-Alternative-Forced-Choice Recognition: Is the Test Criterion-Free? ," Acta Psychologica no. 167 (2016): 30-44.
- Jerwen Jou. "Unconscious processing of facial emotional valence relation: Behavioral evidence of integration between subliminally perceived stimuli," PLOS ONE 11, no. 9 (2016): e162689.
- Jerwen Jou. "Category selective-attention interacts with partial awareness processes in a continuous manner: An fMRI study," Cogent Psychology no. 2 (2015): 1-13.
- Jerwen Jou "Category-selective attention modulates unconscious processing: Evidence from ERP," British Journal of Education, Society, and Behavioral Science 7, no. 3 (2015): 220-231.
- Jerwen Jou. Task-Switching Cost and Repetition Priming: Two Overlooked Confounds In the Fixed-Set Procedure of the Sternberg Paradigm and How They Affect Memory Set-Size Effects.. Expected to be accepted by Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology after revision., 2014.
- Jerwen Jou and Shoney Flores. "How Are False Memories Distinguishable From True Memories in the Deese-Roediger-McDermott Paradigm? A Review of the Findings.," Psychological Research (2013).
- Jerwen Jou and H. Cortes. "Can people strategically control the encoding and retrieval of some morphologic and typographic details of words? ," Consciousness and Cognition 21, (2012): 1280-1297.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Jerwen Jou. Is false recognition memory in the Deese-Roediger-McDermott paradigm decision-based or memory-based?, UTPA College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Faculty External Grant Pre-proposal award, $3,000.00 (2012 - 2012)
- Darrin Rogers. Experimental Study of Sexual Aggression, UTUPA Faculty Research Council Grant, $5,000.00 (2011 - 2012)
- Jerwen Jou. The effect of semantic relatedness on recall and recognition: Furthering the understanding of false memory, National Institutes of Health Minority Biomedical Research Support-SCORE, $308,188.00 (2002 - 2006)
- Jerwen Jou. The semantic distance effect in memory retrieval and discrimination of words, UTPA Faculty Research Council grant , $3,500.00 (2000 - 2000)
- Jerwen Jou. UTPA Scholar Funds Award , $3,500.00 (1998 - 1999)
- Jerwen Jou. A set theory of bowed reaction time curves of memory-set size and serial position effects, UTPA Faculty Research Council , $3,500.00 (1997 - 1998)
- Jerwen Jou. The processing of order information, National Institutes of Health Minority Biomedical Research Support grant , $145,718.00 (1995 - 1998)
- Jerwen Jou. Memory representation of ordinal and interval scale information, UTPA Faculty Research Council , $2,250.00 (1995 - 1996)
- Jerwen Jou. Memory search of complementary sets of information, UTPA Faculty Research Council , $2,700.00 (1994 - 1995)
- Jerwen Jou. "Decision criterion plays an important role in DRM false recognition memory," Southwest Psychological Association Annual Meeting , Southwest Psychological Association, San Antonio, TX (April 2017)
- Mario Arredondo. "True and false memories are distinguishable: Why do people make false recognitions?," UTPA SBS Annual Research Conference, UTPA CSBS, Edinburg TX (May 2015)
- Jerwen Jou. "Memory retrieval profile of the DRM false memory in the Sternberg paradigm: The role of distractors," Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society , the Psychonomic Society, Long Beach, CA (November 2014)
- Jerwen Jou. "Is the DRM false memory a memory- or a decision-based phenomenon?," 2014 UTPA Social and Behavioral Sciences Annual Conference, CSBS UTPA, Edinburg TX (May 2014)
- Jerwen Jou. "Does false memory behave like true memory in the Sternberg memory search paradigm?," UTPA CSBS Annual Research Conference, UTPA (January 2013)
- Jerwen Jou and Shoney Flores. "Comparing list words with the critical nonpresented words in the DRM paradigm across yes/no test and 2AFC: Is the false recognition derived from a criterion shift?," ARMADILLO Annual Meeting, Laredo, TX (2012)
- H. Cortes, Jerwen Jou, and M. Gonzalez. "Do people automatically remember the details of words (plurality and case)? ," UTPA College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Annual Research Conference , Edinburg,Tx (April 2012)
- Jerwen Jou and Shoney Flores. "Is two-alternative-forced-choice recognition test really criterion-free? ," the 51st Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society , St. Louis, MO (November 2010)
- Jerwen Jou. "False memory can be implicitly discriminated from true memory," 50th Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society, Boston, MA (November 2009)
- Jerwen Jou. "Associative memory is familiarity- (not recollection-) based: Evidence from automatic versus controlled slowdown in recognition," Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society, Chicago (2008)
- PSYC 4320 01 - Memory:
- Course Evaluations
- PSYC 4319 90L - Cognitive Psychology:
- Course Evaluations
- PSYC 4319 01 - Cognitive Psychology:
- Course Evaluations