Lionel J. Cavazos Jr.
Phone: (956) 665-3763
Dr. Javier J. Cavazos Jr.
Dr. Cavazos is the Director of Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) and Assistant Professor in Department of Counseling.
Areas of Expertise
- My research agenda focuses on understanding how positive psychology, humanistic, cultural, and family factors influence Mexican American adolescents’ and young adults’ mental health, career development, and academic achievement. Our initial work focused on survey research to understand Mexican American college students’ experiences. However, I have partnered with faculty, students, and community members to examine the impact of programs and counseling services on Mexican Americans’ mental health and educational experiences. I also have an interest in instrument validation to make sure that instruments are measuring what they are supposed to measure with Mexican Americans.
- PhD, Counselor Education and Supervision, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi, 2012
- MEd, Counseling and Guidance, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2008
- BA, Sociology, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2006
- Lionel Cavazos, Gregory Sparrow, James Whittenberg, Basilio Rodriguez, "The Role of Character Strengths and Importance of Family on Mexican American College Students' Career Decision Self-Efficacy," Journal of Employment Counseling 55, (2018): 16-26.
- Lionel Cavazos, Wayne Smith, Federico Guerra, "Understanding Humanistic and Family Predictors of Mexican American College Students’ Positive Psychological Functioning," Journal of Humanistic Counseling 57, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2018): 50-68.
- Lionel Cavazos, James Ikonomopoulos, A. Lenz, Yvette Hinojosa, and Karla Saldana. "Evaluation of the Meaning in Life Questionnaire and Dispositional Hope Scale With Latina/o Students," Journal of Humanistic Counseling 56, (December 2017): 166-179.
- Lionel Cavazos, Gregory Sparrow, A. Lenz, and Stacey Gonzalez. "Positive psychology and interpersonal factors as predictors of Mexican American adolescents’ college-going beliefs. ," Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences 39, (2017): 66-81.
- Yvette Hinojosa, Ming-Tsan Lu, and Lionel Cavazos. "Exploring Positive Psychology, Cultural, and Family Predictors of Latina/o Students Psychological Grit," Journal of Multidisciplinary Graduate Research (November 2017).
- Mehmet Karaman, Kristina Nelson, and Lionel Cavazos. "The mediation effects of achievement motivation and locus of control between academic stress and life satisfaction in undergraduate students," British Journal of Counselling and Guidance. (June 2017).
- Lionel Cavazos, Stephen Lenz, Gregory Sparrow, and Stacey Gonzalez. "Using a Positive Psychology and family framework to understand Mexican American adolescents’ college-going beliefs," Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences (March 2017).
- Lionel Cavazos, Eunice Lerma, James Ikonomopoulos, "Evaluation of the Life Satisfaction and Subjective Happiness scales with Mexican American college students. ," Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences 39, (February 2017): 34-45.
- Federico Guerra, Ash Tawini, A Das, Lionel Cavazos, and M. Sharma. "Examining teachers’ understanding of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder," Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs (December 2016).
- Lionel Cavazos, Ming-Tsan Lu, A. Lenz, Miranda Savage, and Rebekah Guardiola. "Positive psychology and Mexican American college students’ subjective happiness and depression. ," Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences 38, (December 2016): 324-340.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Alyssa Cavazos. Proyecto TransFormar: Transcending Language Boundaries by Fostering a Translingual-Community Engaged Pedagogy for All, UTRGV Office of the Provost and Transforming Our World Strategic Plan Steering Committee, $21,200.00 (December 8, 2017 - August 31, 2018)
- Jack Garcia. Texas 21st Century Community Learning Centers, Cycle 9, Year 2 , Texas Education Agency, $1,774,641.00 (August 1, 2017 - July 31, 2018)
- Wayne Smith. Allies Building Allied Health Pathways to Success., Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, $300,601.00 (August 2016 - July 2018)
- Lionel Cavazos. Peer-Led Positive Psychology for Hispanic Youth in South Texas, Hogg Foundation for Mental Health, $22,000.00 (September 2016 - August 2017)
- Jack Garcia. Texas 21st Century Community Learning Centers, Cycle 9, Year 1. , Texas Education Agency, Division of Federal and State Education Policy, $1,774,641.00 (August 1, 2016 - July 31, 2017)
- Gregory Sparrow. A Comparison of Meditation/Dream Reliving (M/DR) and Imagery Rehearsal Technique (IRT) as Treatments for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder–Related Distressing Dreams, $3,000.00 (December 15, 2014 - December 31, 2015)
- Gregory Sparrow. The Role of Positive Psychology Factors in Predicting Academic Achievement among Latina/o High School Students , $3,000.00 (December 15, 2014 - December 31, 2015)
- Nancy Razo, Federico Guerra, Lionel Cavazos, and Ashwini Tiwari. "Middle School Teachers’ Mental Health Training, Knowledge, & Perceived Roles: School Psychologists’ Potential Contribution ," Texas Association of School Psychologists 2017 Annual Convention, Texas Association of School Psychologists, Dallas, Texas (November 2017)
- Nancy Razo, Federico Guerra, Lionel Cavazos, and Ashwini Tiwari. "Middle School Teachers’ Mental Health Knowledge, Perceived Roles, and Training," Healthy Communities 2020-Mental Health, Substance Abuse & HIV Prevention 2017 Conference, UTRGV School Of Medicine, Edinburg, Texas (September 2017)
- Lionel Cavazos, Eunice Lerma, James Whittenberg, Yvette Hinojosa, K. Rodriguez, and Mehmet Karaman. "The Role of Positive Psychology, Cultural, and Family Factors in Mexican American College Students’ Vocational Outcome Expectations," AERA 2017 Annual Meeting, San Antonio (April 2017)
- Lionel Cavazos, Ming-Tsan Lu, and James Ikonomopoulos. "School Counselors’ Perceptions of Differences between Successful and Less Successful Latina/o High School Students. ," 20th Annual American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences Conference, Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences, Las Vegas, Neveda (January 2017)
- Lionel Cavazos, Karla Saldana, and James Ikonomopoulos. "Evaluation of the Meaning in Life and Hope Scales with Mexican American College Students," 20th Annual American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences Conference , Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences, Las Vegas, Neveda (January 2017)
- Federico Guerra, Ashwini Tiwari, Lionel Cavazos, "Examining Teachers' Understanding of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder," University Council of Educational Administrators, (UCEA), Detroit, Michigan (November 2016)
- Eunice Lerma and Lionel Cavazos. "Building Strong Character Skills," HCISD New Directions Leadership Series Retreat, Harlingen CISD, Edinburg, TX (August 2016)
- James Ikonomopoulos and Lionel Cavazos. "Using an ecological approach to understand Latina/o college students' mental health," American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL (2015)
- Lionel Cavazos, James Ikonomopoulos, and Wayne Smith. "Effects of triadic supervision on counseling practicum students' self-efficacy," Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors, Philadelphia (2015)
- Wayne Smith, Lionel Cavazos, and Karina Hinojosa. "Experiential activities in counseling: Musical activities that will change your life," Association for Creativity in Counseling, San Antonio, TX (2015)
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER I 2017
SUMMER I 2016