Phone: (956) 665-3538
Dr. Hudson Deyoe
Areas of Expertise
- Aquatic/marine ecology
- Natural resource management
- Seagrass and algal ecology
- PhD, Biological Sciences, Bowling Green State University, 1991
- MS, Botany, University of Vermont, 1981
- BS, Biology, Cornell University, 1977
- , Marine Biology, Southampton College, 1975
- Hudson Deyoe, Frank Judd, Kenneth Summy, R. Stalter, "The biological flora of coastal dunes and wetlands: Avicennia germinans (L.) L.," Journal of Coastal Research 33, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 191-207.
- Hudson Deyoe and J Kowalski. "Range extension of the macroalgae Anadyomene stellata and re-appearance of Caulerpa sertularioides in the Lower Laguna Madre, Texas," The Southwestern Naturalist (August 2014).
- Hudson Deyoe, R Edwards, D Buzan, W Pulich Jr., J Benavides, and C Marin. Environmental Flows Recommendations Report. Environmental Flows Advisory Group, Rio Grande Estuary, and Lower Laguna Madre Basin and Bay Stakeholders Committee and Texas Committee on Environmental Quality, 2012: 237.
- T Palmer, P Montagna, J Pollack, R Kalke, and Hudson Deyoe. "The role of freshwater inflow in lagoons, rivers, and bays," Hydrobiologia 667, (2011): 49-67.
- David Hicks, Hudson Deyoe, Tom Whelan, Jude Benavides, Mary Shands, and Elizabeth Heise. Bahia Grande Restoration Monitoring: Final Report. Report prepared for USEPA Gulf of Mexico Program, 2010.
- J Kowalski, Hudson Deyoe, C Krull, and T Allison. "Comparison of leaf-clipping and leaf pearcing techniques as applied to the seagrass Syringodium filiforme (Kutz.)," Bulletin of Marine Science 85, no. 2 & 3 (2009): 212-226.
- J Kowalski, Hudson Deyoe, and T Allison. "Seasonal Production and Biomass of the Seagrass Halodule wrightii Aschers. (Shoal Grass), in a Subtropical Texas Lagoon," Estuaries and Coasts 32, no. 3 (2009): 467-483.
- Hudson Deyoe. Bahia Grande Restoration Project: 2006-07 Annual Report. Report Prepared for: The U.S. Gulf of Mexico Program, 2007.
- Hudson Deyoe, E Buskey, and F Jochem. "Physiological Responses of Aureoumbra lagunensis and Synechococcus sp. to Nitrogen Addition in a Mesocosm Experiment," Harmful Algae 6, no. 1 (2007): 48-55.
- J Kowalski, D Hockaday, G Boza Jr., and Hudson Deyoe. "Re-occurrence of the tropcal green macroalga, Penicillus capitatus (Chlorophyta: Byropsidales), in Lower Laguna Madre of South Texas," Texas Journal of Science 59, no. 4 (2007): 305-310.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Megan Keniry. An Experiential Internship Program for Underrepresented Students in the Need Areas of Water for Agriculture, Food Safety and Childhood Obesity and Prevention (USDA 2016-38422-25760) , USDA, $213,722.00 (September 1, 2016 - August 31, 2020)
- Hudson DeYoe. Developing a Predictive Ecological Model for the Lower Laguna Madre: Forecasting Ecosystem Shifts and Changes in Key Ecological Indicators, Texas One Gulf- Center of Excellence, $86,372.00 (March 15, 2016 - May 31, 2018)
- Hudson DeYoe. Texas Beach Watch Program, Texas General Land Office- Coastal Management Program, $95,310.00 (September 1, 2016 - August 31, 2017)
- Hudson DeYoe. Establishing a Lower Rio Grande Valley Sustainability Network, Research Coordination Network: Climate, Energy, Environment and Engagement in Semi-arid Regions, $25,000.00 (September 1, 2014 - May 31, 2017)
- Kenneth Summy. Development of Optimal Planting Strategies for Black Mangrove on the Texas Gulf Coast., Coastal Conservation Association, Texas, $6,000.00 (September 1, 2012 - December 31, 2016)
- Hudson Deyoe. Modeled Inflow Validation and Nutrient Loading Estimation in Two Subwatersheds of the Lower Laguna Madre, Texas General Land Office- Coastal Management Program, $98,440.00 (October 2013 - June 2016)
- Hudson Deyoe. Effects of Hydrology and Nutrient Loadings on Invasive Plant Production in the Rio Grande Estuary, USDA through Sul Ross State University, $18,153.00 (September 2010 - August 2014)
- Hudson Deyoe. Collection of water quality data for the Rio Grande Delta, Texas Water Development Board, $11,000.00 (February 2013 - February 2014)
- Hudson Deyoe. Modeling the Impact of Solar-Powered Circulation on the Dynamic and Eutrophication of the Impaired Salt Water Transition of the Arroyo Colorado of South Texas, Texas Engineering Experiment Station, $39,953.00 (April 2012 - February 2014)
- Hudson Deyoe. Reassessment of seagrass distribution and biomass in the Lower Laguna Madre, Texas, Texas General Land Office Coastal Management Plan Program, $18,354.00 (March 2012 - August 2013)
- Brittany Schier, Evelyn Garcia, Laura Chavez, Andy Ly, Yanelley Cruz-Rivera, Krystel Castillo, Michael Persans, Hudson Deyoe, and Mauricio Cabrera. "Optimizing Algae Growth and Lipid Accumulation for Biofuel Production," USDA Hispanic Serving Institutions Program Manager's Meeting, United States Department of Agriculture, Albuquerque NM (February 2017)
- Megan Keniry, Michael Persans, Hudson Deyoe, Erin Schuenzel, J. Andrew McDonald, Normann Barr, and Deborah Thompson. "USDA H.S.I. Program at UTRGV and TAMUK Citrus Center: Experiential Learning Program at Two Hispanic Serving Institutions on Water for Agriculture, Food Safety and Childhood Obesity & Prevention," USDA P.I. Meeting, USDA, Albuquerque (February 2017)
- Hudson DeYoe and Evan Schauer. "Characterization of storm water and baseline runoff from the Lower Rio Grande Valley with focus on Brownsville and Arroyo Colorado drains. ," 18th Annual Water Quality Management and Planning Conference, South Texas Stormwater Task Force, South Padre Island, TX (May 2016)
- V Thomas, M Persans, and Hudson Deyoe. "Use of seaweed to stimulate plant growth," 70th Annual Meeting of Subtropical Agriculture and Environment Society, Subtropical Agriculture and Environment Society, Weslaco, Tx (February 2016)
- E Quintero, E Schauer, and Hudson Deyoe. "Characterization of stormwater and baseline runoff from the Lower Rio Grande Valley with focus on Brownsville and Arroyo Colorado drains," South Texas Stormwater Conference, South Texas Stormwater Taskforce, South Padre Island, TX. (May 2015)
- Jungseok Ho, Hudson Deyoe, Lee Clapp, Lucy Camacho, and Elizabeth Heise. "Binational Water Quality Monitoring in the Lower Rio Grande/Rio Bravo: Cooperative Efforts to Protect Vital Transboundary Water Resources," World Environmental & Water Resources Congress, EWRI, Austin, TX (May 2015)
- D Huallpa and Hudson Deyoe. "Potential effects of destratification on the phytoplankton of the Arroyo Colorado," Texas Academy of Science Annual Meeting, Texas Academy of Science, Galveston, TX (2014)
- E Schauer, D Huallpa, E Quintero, j Garcia, and Hudson Deyoe. "Barge impacts on Arroyo Colorado water quality," Texas Academy of Science Annual Meeting, Texas Academy of Science, Galveston, TX (March 2014)
- Hudson Deyoe, J Kowalski, C Krull, and T Allison. "Seasonal production and biomass dynamics of the seagrass Syringodium filiforme Kützing in a subtropical lagoon," Coastal and Estuarine Research Foundation biannual meeting, Coastal and Estuarine Research Foundation, San Diego, CA (November 2013)
- D Huallpa, E Quintero, E Schauer, and Hudson Deyoe. "A novel approach to an environmental problem: Potential effects of destratification on the phytoplankton of the Arroyo Colorado," UTPA Undergraduate Research Conference, University of Texas Pan American, Edinburg, TX (November 2013)
- BIOL 4426 A - Marine Ecology:
- Course Evaluations
- BIOL 4426 01 - Marine Ecology:
- Course Evaluations
- EEMS 6385 12 - Graduate Research:
- Course Evaluations