Gerardo J. Aponte Martínez
Phone: (956) 665-3440
Dr. Gerardo J. Aponte Martínez
Dr. Aponte's research focuses on learning to teach involving processes of acculturation and negotiation of cultural logics about teaching. Additionally, he teaches and researches on global perspectives in social studies.
Areas of Expertise
- Teacher Education
- Social Studies Education
- Comparative and International Education
- PhD, Curriculum, Instruction and Teacher Education, Michigan State University, 2017
- MEd, Social Studies Education , University of Florida, 2009
- BS, Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Central Florida, 2008
- Gerardo Aponte Martinez and Anthony Pellegrino. "Youthscaping Our Classrooms: Nurturing Youth Civic Agency Through Youth-Centered Pedagogies," The Social Studies 108, no. 3 (May 2017): 99–110.
- Anne-Lise Halvorsen, Lauren Harris, Gerardo Aponte Martinez, and Amanda Frasier. "Does students’ heritage matter in their performance on and perceptions of historical reasoning tasks?," Journal of Curriculum Studies 48, no. 4 (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2016): 457–478.
- Lauren Harris, Anne-Lise Halvorsen, and Gerardo Aponte Martinez. "“[My] family has gone through that”: How high school students determine the trustworthiness of historical documents," The Journal of Social Studies Research 40, no. 2 (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016): 109–121.
- Noushin Nouri, William McComas, and Gerardo Aponte Martinez. "Rationales and Strategies for Teaching History of Science in Preservice Settings: Illustrations from Multiple Cases with Implications for Science Teacher Education," Science & Education .
- Gerardo Aponte Martinez. "Constructing the Stories of the Other: Teachers' travel experiences and their pedagogies for global perspectives," Teaching and Teacher Education .
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Maria Leija. Reflections on Teacher Education Practices of First-Year Tenure Track Professors at an HSI, 2017-2018 HSI SIRG Research Initiative, College of Education and P-16 Integration, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, $1,250.00 (September 2017 - August 2018)
- Maria Leija, Gilberto Lara, Gerardo Aponte Martinez, and Hitomi Kambara. "Reflections on Teacher Education Practices of First-Year Tenure-Track Professors at a Hispanic Serving Institution," Hispanic Serving Institution, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, McAllen, TX (April 2018)
- Gilberto Lara, Gerardo Aponte Martinez, and Maria Leija. "Lessons in Mentoring Young Education Researchers: A Holmes Cadets Partnership between UTRGV and the South Texas," 70th AACTE Annual Meeting , American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE), Baltimore, MD (March 2018)
- Gerardo Aponte Martinez, Christopher Busey, Rebecca Christ, Barbara Cruz, Ana Diaz Beltran, Tommy Ender, and Cinthia Salinas. "Atravesando Fronteras de Lenguajes y Epistemologías en los Estudios Sociales," College and University Faculty Assembly of the National Council for the Social Studies Annual Conference, San Francisco, California (November 2017)
- Molly Hamm and Gerardo Aponte Martinez. "Teacher Preparation Reform in Dominican Republic," Comparative and International Education Society Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia (March 2017)
- Gerardo Aponte Martinez. "Uncovering Cultural Logics about Teaching," Comparative and International Education Society Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia (March 2017)
- Gerardo Aponte Martinez. "Pop Cosmopolitanism: Youth, Popular Culture, and Global Education," College and University Faculty Assembly of the National Council for the Social Studies Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana (November 2015)
- Lauren Harris, Anne-Lise Halvorsen, and Gerardo Aponte Martinez. "Does Students’ Heritage Matter in Their Performance on and Perceptions of Historical Reasoning Tasks? ," American Educational Research Association Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois (April 2015)
- Kyle Greenwalt, Gerardo Aponte Martinez, Elizabeth Kenyon, and Claire Yates. "Narrative understandings of social studies field observation reports.," College and University Faculty Assembly of the National Council for the Social Studies Annual Conference, Boston, Massachusetts (November 2014)
- Gerardo Aponte Martinez and Elizabeth Kenyon. "School-university partnerships: Reconfiguring the spaces of learning to teach," American Educational Research Association Annual Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (April 2014)
- Gerardo Aponte Martinez. "Bringing Costa Rica to U.S. classrooms: Cases of global experiences and teachers’ pedagogies," Comparative and International Education Society Annual Conference, (March 2014)
- EDUC 3304 11 - Instr & Assmnt:
- Course Evaluations
- EDUC 3303 11 - Evidence-Based Lrning Envmnts:
- Course Evaluations
- EDCI 3335 01R - Soc Stud to Elem Stud:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER I 2018