Phone: (956) 296-1536
Dr. Francisco Fernandez
Francisco (Frank) Fernandez, M.D., a national leader in academic medicine, joined The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley as the Inaugural Dean of the School of Medicine. In 2016, he stepped down as Dean and remains on the faculty as Professor of Psychiatry. He also provides leadership for the School advancing and integrating its research, interdisciplinary education and patient care as part of the South Texas Interprofessional Team Collaborative for Health.
Areas of Expertise
- Psychosomatic Medicine
- Neurobehavioral Complications of Medical Illness and It's Treatment
- Integrated Care
- Memory Disorders
- MD, Tufts University School of Medicine, 1979
- BA, Special Student/Department of Neurobiology, Harvard University, 1975
- BA, Undergraduate Education, College of the Holy Cross, 1974
- Francisco Fernandez and Joel Levy. Major depression and cognitive state in HIV infection. Clinical Neuropathology , 12(Suppl1), 1993.
- Pedro Ruiz and Francisco Fernandez. "Manejo y tratamiento do adictos infectados por HIV," Medico Interamericano 6, (1993): 56.
- Francisco Fernandez, Pedro Ruiz, and Eric Bing. The mental health impact of AIDS on ethnic minorities. American Psychiatric Press, Inc: In, Gaw AC (Ed.), Culture, Ethni¬city, and Mental Illness, 1993: 573-586.
- Francisco Fernandez and Joel Levy. "The use of molindone in the treatment of psychotic patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus: Case reports," Gen Hosp Psychiatry 15, (1993): 31-35.
- Francisco Fernandez and Pedro Ruiz. "Neuropsychiatric aspects of AIDS," Lowinson J and Ruiz P (Eds.), Substance Abuse Comprehensive Textbook. Williams and Wilkins Co., 1992: 775-787.
- Francisco Fernandez and Joel Levy. Benzodiazepines in the medically ill. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Press, Inc: Roy-Byrne PP, Cowley D (Eds.), Benzodiazepines in Clinical Practice: Risks and Benefits, 1991: 179-200.
- Francisco Fernandez. Methylphenidate in HIV dementia. Mary Ann Liebert, Inc: Greenhill L (Ed.), Ritalin: Theory and Patient Management, 1991: 177-185.
- Francisco Fernandez and Joel Levy. "Psychopharmacotherapy of psychiatric syndromes in asymptomatic and symptomatic HIV infection," Psychiatric Medicine 9, no. 3 (1991): 377-394.
- Francisco Fernandez and Joel Levy. Adjuvant treatment of HIV dementia with psychostimulants. Plenum Publishing Corporation: Behavioral Aspects of AIDS and Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases, D. Ostrow (Ed.), 1990.
- Francisco Fernandez and Joel Levy. Diagnosis and management of the AIDS dementia complex. Plenum Publish¬ing Corporation: Behavioral Aspects of AIDS and Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases, D. Ostrow (Ed.), 12, 1990.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Francisco Fernandez. Valley Interprofessional Dedicated Access & Service, The UnitedHealth Group, $2,880,000.00 (December 31, 2017)
- Francisco Fernandez. “Memory Disorder Clinic”, Florida Department of Elder Affairs, $287,000.00 (July 2013 - June 2014)
- Francisco Fernandez. Clinical Fellow - Psychoasomatic/Consultation Liaison Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital , ( 1984)
- Francisco Fernandez. "Psychiatric Complications of AIDS," 8th Annual Behavioral Medicine Conference, Doctors Hospital at Renaissance, Edinburg, Texas (November 2016)
- Francisco Fernandez. "NeuroAIDS," 2016 SAMHSA Mental Health Conference, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Edinburg, Texas (May 2016)
- Francisco Fernandez. "Performance Anxiety Demystified," South Texas Flute and Clarinet Festival, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Brownsville, Texas (April 2016)
- Francisco Fernandez. "Diabetes and Cognitive Disorders," Quarterly Meeting of ADA Chapter, Rio Grande Valley Diabetes Association, McAllen, Texas (March 2016)
- Francisco Fernandez. "Interprofessional, Team Collaborative Care – it’s not just about ACA," Hidalgo-Starr County Medical Society, Texas Medical Association, Weslaco, Texas (December 2015)
- Francisco Fernandez. "Valley Interprofessional Dedicated Access and Service," First Annual Interprofessional Education and Practice in the RGV: STITCHing it all up! , University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Edinburg, Texas (December 2015)
- Francisco Fernandez. "Defining Culturally Competent Practice with Sexual Minorities," Faculty Forum on Behavioral Health “Linguistically and Culturally Sensitive Practice in Integrated Behavioral Healthcare and Interprofessional Collaborative Models”, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Edinburg, Texas (December 2015)
- Francisco Fernandez. "RGV-3D’s: Depression, Dementia, Diabetes Continuum," More Health @UTPA, College of Health Sciences and Human Services, University of Texas Pan American, Edinburg, Texas (April 2015)
- Francisco Fernandez. "Expanded Role of the Medical School in Training Behavioral Health Practitioners," Speak Your Mind Symposium, Department of Social Work, University of Pan American, Edinburg, Texas (July 2014)
- Francisco Fernandez. "Depression and Dementia in HIV/AIDS," Grand Rounds, Rowan University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Rowan University School of Medicine, Camden, NJ (November 2013)