Federico R. Guerra Jr.
Phone: (956) 665-7333
Dr. Fred Guerra Jr.
Areas of Expertise
- Mental Health - ADHD, Behavioral Disorders, Conduct Disorders
- EdD, Effective Educational Leadership, Texas A&M University - Kingsville, 2009
- MEd, Educational Administration, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2005
- BS, Health Education, The University of Texas - Pan American, 1990
- Lionel Cavazos, Wayne Smith, Federico Guerra, "Understanding Humanistic and Family Predictors of Mexican American College Students’ Positive Psychological Functioning," Journal of Humanistic Counseling 57, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2018): 50-68.
- Federico Guerra, Roberto Zamora, Rosalinda Hernandez, and Velma Menchaca-Ochoa. "University Strategic Planning: A Process for Change in a Principal Preparation Program," International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation 12, no. 1 (May 2017): 83-97.
- Angela Chapman, Hsuying Ward, Ashwini Tiwari, Amy Weimer, Jaime Duran, Federico Guerra, and Robert Sale. "The Role of Language in Anatomy and Physiology Instruction," American Biology Teacher 79, no. 3 (March 2017): 184-190.
- Maria Roberts and Federico Guerra. "Principals' Perception of Needs in Hispanic Special Education," Journal of Hispanic Higher Education 16, no. 1 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017): 18.
- Maria Roberts and Federico Guerra. "Principals’ Perceptions of Their Knowledge in Special Education," Current issues in Education 19, no. 3 (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017).
- Federico Guerra, Ash Tawini, A Das, Lionel Cavazos, and M. Sharma. "Examining teachers’ understanding of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder," Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs (December 2016).
- Hossein Shirvani, Federico Guerra, "Do High School Students with Different Styles Have Different Levels of Math Anxiety? ," Journal of European Education 5, no. 3 (February 2016).
- Lionel Cavazos, Federico Guerra, Christian Garcia, and Yvette Hinojosa. "Increasing School Counselors' Understanding of Factors that Influence Latina/o Adolescents' College-Going Beliefs," Journal of School Counseling .
- Federico Guerra, Roberto Zamora, and Roman Garcia de Alba. "Superintendent Perceptions of the Role of Principal Preparation Programs to Assist in the Behavioral, Emotional, and Psychological Needs of Students," No. Arizona State University: Current issues in Education .
- Yvette Hinojosa, Lionel Cavazos, Federico Guerra, and James Whittenberg. "Exploring humanistic and cultural predictors of Latina/o students’ life satisfaction and depressive symptoms.," Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development .
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Javier Vela. Expanding Counseling and Behavioral Health Services, Internal Seed Grant, ( )
- Nancy Razo and Federico Guerra. "Teachers’ Mental Health Training and Intervention: School Psychologists’ Potential Impact," National Association of School Psychology, Chicago, Ill. (February 2018)
- Nancy Razo and Federico Guerra. "Teachers' Mental Health Training & Intervention: School Psychologists' Potential Impact," National Association of School Psychologists 2018 Annual Convention, National Association of School Psychologists, Chicago, Illinois (February 2018)
- Nancy Razo, Federico Guerra, Lionel Cavazos, and Ashwini Tiwari. "Middle School Teachers’ Mental Health Training, Knowledge, & Perceived Roles: School Psychologists’ Potential Contribution ," Texas Association of School Psychologists 2017 Annual Convention, Texas Association of School Psychologists, Dallas, Texas (November 2017)
- Roberto Zamora, Federico Guerra, Rosalinda Hernandez, and Velma Menchaca-Ochoa. "Strategic Planning: A Catalyst for Transforming a Principal Preparation Program," National Association of Hispanic & Latino Studies, (October 2017)
- Alejandro Garcia, Velma Menchaca-Ochoa, Federico Guerra, and George Padilla. "University Partners with Local School Districts: Collaborating to Prepare Future School Leader," The Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Education , The Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Education, Corpus Christi, Texas (October 2017)
- Nancy Razo, Federico Guerra, Lionel Cavazos, and Ashwini Tiwari. "Middle School Teachers’ Mental Health Knowledge, Perceived Roles, and Training," Healthy Communities 2020-Mental Health, Substance Abuse & HIV Prevention 2017 Conference, UTRGV School Of Medicine, Edinburg, Texas (September 2017)
- Federico Guerra, George Padilla, and Roberto Zamora. "In Search of Excellence: Effective Practices in High Performing Culturally Diverse South Texas Schools," 2nd Annual International Critical Issues Leadership Conference, Department of Organization & School Leadership, South Padre Island, Texas (September 2017)
- Federico Guerra and Francisco Guajardo. "An Oral History of Bilingual History in the Borderlands of South Texas," University Council of Educational Administrators, UCEA, San Diego, Calif. (November 2016)
- Federico Guerra, Ashwini Tiwari, Lionel Cavazos, "Examining Teachers' Understanding of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder," University Council of Educational Administrators, (UCEA), Detroit, Michigan (November 2016)
- Federico Guerra and Alejandro Garcia. "Engaging Family and Community Relationships to Better Serve Students with Mental Health Needs," 1st Annual UTRGV Critical Issue Conference, Department of Organization & School Leadership, McAllen, Texas (September 2016)
- EDUL 6350 01 - Principalship:
- Course Evaluations
- EDUL 6320 03 - Curriculum Leadership:
- Course Evaluations
- EDUL 6355 01 - Administration of HR & Budget:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER II 2018
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER I 2017
SPRING 2017 MODULE 1
FALL 2016 MODULE 1
SUMMER II 2016
SUMMER I 2016