Eluterio Blanco Jr.
Phone: (956) 665-5240
Mr. Eluterio Blanco Jr.
Eluterio (Jr.) Blanco has been a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor since 2005. He earned a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from UT in Austin and a Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology from UTPA. Eluterio is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor and PhD candidate in the School of Rehabilitation Services & Counseling at the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley.
Areas of Expertise
- He has co-published an article on the attitudes of Mexican Americans toward cannabis use. Other areas of research interests include professional and community stigma toward persons with Substance Use Disorders and he is collecting data on the perceptions of substances use disorders by Mexican American counselors and clients for his doctoral dissertation.
- MA, Clinical Psychology, The University of Texas - Pan American, 2007
- Elizabeth Chavez-Palacios, Eluterio Blanco, and Noreen Graf. "Cannabis, Culture and Anxiety: Attitudes of Mexican/Mexican-American College Students on the US/Mexico Border," Journal of Rehabilitation 78, no. 4 (December 2012): 11-20.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Eluterio Blanco. SBIRT Training for Hispanic Health Professional Students, SAMHSA, $945,000.00 (September 30, 2015 - September 29, 2018)
- Eluterio Blanco, Stephanie Garza, and Belinda Rivas. SBIRT Training, UTRGV SAMHSA Grant, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (October 2017)
- Eluterio Blanco and Stephanie Garza. "Am I doing this right? Motivational Interviewing Techniques Review for Beginners & Experts," Texas Association of Addiction Professional's Forty Third Annual Conference, Texas Association of Addiction Professionals, San Antonio, TX (August 2017)
- Eluterio Blanco and Jessica Gonzalez. "Oh Snap! Using Social Media to Assess Students' Perceived Harm of ATOD," Texas Association of Addiction Professional's Forty Third Annual Conference, Texas Association of Addiction Professionals, San Antonio, TX (August 2017)
- Eluterio Blanco. "Alcohol and Drug Primer," Unleased 1.0 Conference, Behavioral Health Solutions of South Texas, McAllen, TX (July 2017)
- Eluterio Blanco. "Preventing Prescription Abuse on College Campus," Texas Health and Human Services Regional Town Hall Meeting: Prescription Drug Misuse Prevention, Texas Health and Human Services, Weslaco, TX (July 2017)
- Eluterio Blanco. "Wired for Addiction?," Brain Day, International Museum of Art & Science, McAllen, TX (March 2017)
- Eluterio Blanco. "Risk Factors Associated with Underage Drinking & Social Hosting," City of Weslaco Town Hall Meeting on Alcohol Social Hosting, UNIDAD Coalition, Weslaco, TX (February 2017)
- Eluterio Blanco, Stephanie Garza, and Belinda Rivas. "SBIRT Training," SBIRT Training, UTRGV SAMHSA Grant, UTRGV Edinburg Texas Campus (December 2016)
- Eluterio Blanco. "Understanding Recovery: What we don’t know will hurt them," UNIDAD Community Interventions Conference: Redirecting the Pipeline: A Focus on Solutions, Uniting Neighbors in Drug Abuse Defense, Weslaco, TX (November 2016)
- Eluterio Blanco. "Culturally Appropriate Harm Reduction Approach for Clients of Mexican/Mexican American Origin," Addiction Resource Center’s Continuing Education Lecture Series, UTRGV Addiction Resource Center, McAllen, TX (September 2016)