- MPH, Community Health (Community Health Practice), The University of Texas Health Science Center - Houston, 1991
- BA, Sociology, The University of Texas - Pan American, 1988
- Lilia Fuentes, Linda Eanes, Beatriz Bautista, Doreen Garza, and David Salazar. "Bridging the Gaps: Evaluating the Teaching Effectiveness of Graduate Nursing Students in Helping Children in Underserved Schools Learn About Healthy Eating," Journal of Nursing Science 3, no. 6 (December 2017): 50-56.
- H I Villas, Zhixiang Chen, Doreen Garza, and David Salazar. "An electronic system to assist schools in determining the health risk of students," A J Health Studies 21, (2006): 57-61.
- H I Villas, David Salazar, Doreen Garza, N. Villagomez, and R. Lightner. "Acanthosis Nigricans in Youth: a type 2 diabetes marker," Texas J Rural Health 18, (2000): 52-58.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Lilia Fuentes. CHECK Plus: Creating Healthy Eating Choices for Kids-PLUS, AETNA Foundation Regional Grant, $100,000.00 (January 2017 - June 2018)
- Lilia Fuentes. CHECK: Creating Healthy Eating Choices for Kids, KNAPP Community Care Foundation , $50,000.00 (June 2016)
- Lilia Fuentes. CHECK: Creating Healthy Eating Choices for Kids, AETNA Foundation , $40,000.00 (April 1, 2014 - October 1, 2014)
- Lilia Fuentes, Linda Eanes, Beatriz Bautista, Doreen Garza, and David Salazar. "A Cooperative Health Initiative to Improve Healthy Eating among Underserved Children in Rural South Texas: A Pilot Study," NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF HISPANIC AND LATINO STUDIES, UTRGV, South Padre Island, Texas (October 2017)
- Bassent Abdelbary, Doreen Garza, and David Martinez. "Acanthosis Nigricans in Texas; what claim data can tell us?," UTRGV School of Medicine Research Symposium, (August 2017)