Maria C. Villalobos
Phone: (956) 665-2123
Maria C. Villalobos
Areas of Expertise
- Optimization, Optimal Control, STEM Education
- PhD, Computational and Applied Mathematics, Rice University, 2000
- MS, Computational and Applied Mathematics, Rice University, 1999
- BS, Mathematics, The University of Texas - Austin, 1994
- Erika Camacho, Suzanne Lenhart, Luis Melara, Cristina Villalobos, and Stephen Wirkus. "Optimal Control with MANF Treatment of Photoreceptor Degeneration," Mathematical Medicine and Biology (2019).
- Luis Fernandez, Xiaohui Wang, Olga Ramirez, and Cristina Villalobos. "Latinx Students’ Mathematics Anxiety and Their Study Habits: Exploring Their Relationship at the Postsecondary Level," Journal of Hispanic Higher Education (June 2019).
- Cristina Villalobos. Minority Serving Institutions: America’s Underutilized Resource for Strengthening the STEM Workforce. Washington, D.C.: National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, 2018.
- Cristina Villalobos, Elizabeth Rodriguez-Hernandez, and Heinrich Foltz. "Optimization of LPDA Antennas with Axial Twist," Boston, MA: Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2018.
- John Bernard, Olga Ramirez, and Cristina Villalobos. "Using Technology to Determine Factorability or Non-factorability of Quadratic Algebraic Trinomials," Proceedings of the 2017 Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE), 2017.
- F. Flor, Xiaohui Wang, Cristina Villalobos, Robert Freeman, Stephen Crown, and Horacio Vasquez. "Students’ Perceptions on Challenge Based Instruction," 2015 JSM Proceeding, Statistical Education Section, Alexandria, VA: American Statistical Association, 2015: 963-977.
- Erika Camacho, Luis Melara, Cristina Villalobos, and Stephen Wirkus. "Optimal Control in the Treatment of Retinitis Pigmentosa," Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 76, (2014): 292-313.
- B. Mordukhovich, M.N. Nguyen, and Cristina Villalobos. "The Smallest Enclosing Ball Problem and the Smallest Intersecting Ball Problem: Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions," Optimization Letters 7, (2013): 839-853.
- M.N. Nguyen, Cristina Villalobos, and T.A. Nguyen. "Minimal Time Functions and the Smallest Intersecting Ball Problem Generated by Unbounded Dynamics," Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 154, no. 3 (2012): 768-791.
- E. Fenichel, C. Castillo-Chavez, M. Ceddia, G. Chowell, P. Gonzalez-Parra, G. Hickling, G. Holloway, R. Horan, B. Morin, C. Perrings, M. Springborn, L. Velazquez, and Cristina Villalobos. "Adaptive Human Behavior in Epidemiological Models," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108, (2011): 6306-6311.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Benjamin Flores. Louis Stokes STEM Pathways and Research Alliance: UT System LSAMP, NSF-LSAMP, $4,000,000.00 (September 1, 2018 - August 31, 2023)
- Cristina Villalobos. Active Learning for Pre-Calculus, and Calculus Courses at UTRGV, SEMINAL project with the Association of Public and Landgrant Universities, NSF IUSE, $93,300.00 (February 1, 2018 - December 1, 2020)
- Timothy Huber. Collaborative Research: A Texan Partnership towards a Diverse PhD Pool in Mathematics, NSF DMS-Infrastructure Program PAPPG NSF 17-1, $443,932.00 (August 1, 2018 - August 31, 2020)
- Arturo Fuentes. NSF-REE: Understanding and Diversifying Transfer Student Pathways to Engineering Degrees, National Science Foundation, $280,599.00 (2014 - 2018)
- Ben Flores. UT System LSAMP: A Model Senior Alliance, NSF-LSAMP Program, $4,000,000.00 (2013 - 2018)
- Cristina Villalobos. UTRGV Graduate College Success, UTRGV Graduate School, $5,000.00 (2015 - 2016)
- Cristina Villalobos. Integrating South Texas Efforts in STEM Education, U.S. Department of Defense HBCU/MI Program, $4,700,000.00 (2011 - 2016)
- Havidán Rodríguez. ADVANCING Women in the Academic STEM Fields through Dual-Career Policies and Practices, National Science Foundation ADVANCE Program for a 2014 Symposium, $91,400.00 (2013 - 2014)
- Virgil Pierce. The Halliburton Speaker Series for Students, Halliburton Foundation, $15,000.00 (2012 - 2013)
- Havidán Rodríguez. Attracting and Nurturing Women Faculty at a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), National Science Foundation, ADVANCE Program, $3,105,100.00 ( 2012)
- Cristina Villalobos and Timothy Huber. "P2C2 @UTRGV for Student Success," APLU SEMINAL Workshop, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (May 2019)
- Cristina Villalobos. "Optimization of LPDA Antennas with Axial Twist," 2018 Field of Dreams Conference, The Math Alliance, Washington University, St. Louis, MO. Featured Speaker. (November 2018)
- Cristina Villalobos and Ben Flores. "Institutional Programs Promoting Success of Undergraduate Minority STEM Students," 2018 SACNAS National Conference, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, TX (October 2018)
- Cristina Villalobos. "Applying Optimal Control in the Treatment of Retinitis Pigmentosa," 2nd Annual UTRGV School of Medicine Research Symposium, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (September 2018)
- Cristina Villalobos. "Optimization of LPDA Antennas with Axial Twist," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Boston, MA. (July 2018)
- Cristina Villalobos. "Antenna Optimization," Department of Mathematics, Purdue University. Colloquia Speaker, (March 2018)
- Cristina Villalobos. "STEM Collaborations," Consejos Colectivos: Improving STEM Success at HSIs, Dallas, TX. Invited Speaker. (February 2018)
- Cristina Villalobos. "Becoming Agents of Change," Social Inclusion and Social Justice Conference, Shippensburg University, Harrisburg, PA. Keynote Speaker. (April 2017)
- John Bernard, Olga Ramirez, and Cristina Villalobos. "Using Technology to Determine Factorability or Non-factorability of Quadratic Algebraic Trinomials," The Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE) Conference, SITE: Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education, Austin, Texas (April 2017)
- Cristina Villalobos. "Finding the Best," Applied Mathematics Seminar, Department of Mathematics, Shippensburg University, Harrisburg, PA. Colloquia Speaker. (April 2017)
- MATH 2413 07 - Calculus I:
- Course Evaluations
- MATH 3350 02 - Intro to Math Proof:
- Course Evaluations