Dr. Constance Cortez
Areas of Expertise
- Contemporary Latinx Art History
- Chicanx Art
- PhD, Art History-- Contact Period and Colonial Art of México, University of California, Los Angeles, 1995
- MA, Art History-- Pre-Columbian Art, University of Texas at Austin, 1986
- BA, Art History, University of Texas at Austin, 1981
- Constance Cortez and Hal Glicksmann. ed. Aztlán to Magulandia: the Journey of Chicano Artist Gilbert ‘Magu’ Luján. . Los Angeles; Munich London, New York: The University of California, Irvine; DelMonico Books•Prestel. , no. 1st November 2017: 176.
- Constance Cortez. "“Making Menudo: Finding the Feminine in the Work of Gilbert ‘Magu’ Lujan.” ," Aztlán to Magulandia: the Journey of Chicano Artist Gilbert ‘Magu’ Luján. Los Angeles; Munich London, New York: The University of California, Irvine; DelMonico Books•Prestel. , November 2017.
- Constance Cortez. “’Placing’ and ‘Dis-Placing’ the Art of Mata Ortiz”. Albuquerque, New Mexico: University of New Mexico Press, 2016.
- Constance Cortez. "“The Transcendental Journeys of Marta Sánchez.”," Marta Sanchez: Transcendental Train Yards.. San Antonio, TX: Wings Press. Studios., 2015.
- Constance Cortez. Review of Visualizing Guadalupe: from Black Madonna to Queen of the Americas by Jeanette Favrot Peterson. Online & Magazine: Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 2014.
- Constance Cortez. “In Xochitl, In Cuicatl: The Pre-Columbian Presence in the Work of Gaspar Enriquez.”. El Paso, TX: El Paso Museum of Art, 2014.
- Constance Cortez. “Chicana/o Art History.”. Oxford Bibliographies in Art History. 2013.
- Constance Cortez. “Richard Lou: The Artist as Activist.”. Lubbock, TX: Landmark Arts Gallery, The School of Art, Texas Tech University, November 2013.
- Constance Cortez. Traditions: The Visual Arts. The Routledge Companion to Latino/a Literature. London : Routledge, 2012.
- Constance Cortez. “Christie Blizard.” When I was 16, I saw a white buffalo.. Austin, TX: Women and Their Work (Gallery), March 2012.