Dr. Colin Charlton
Dr. Colin Charlton received his PhD from Purdue University in 2005, and has worked at UTPA/UTRGV ever since. He is a Professor of Rhetoric & Composition in UTRGV's Department of Writing & Language Studies. As Chair of the department, he leads and supports an innovative team of teacher-scholars in the areas of First Year Writing, Language Acquisition, Linguistics, Rhetoric & Composition, and Spanish.
Areas of Expertise
- Writing Pedagogy
- Writing Program Administration
- Teacher Professional Development
- PhD, English, Purdue University, 2005
- MA, English, Texas A&M University - Commerce, 2000
- BA, English/French, East Texas State University, 1994
- Randall Monty, Karen Holt, and Colin Charlton. "Transnational Access and Integrated Complexity: Interconnecting People, Research, and Media for Transnational Writing Students," Linguistically Diverse Immigrant and Resident Writers: Transitions from High School to College. New York, NY: Routledge, January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2017: 202-215.
- Colin Charlton. "The Weight of Curious Space: Rhetorical Events, Hackerspace, and Emergent Multimodal Assessment," Computers and Composition (February 2014): 14.
- Jonikka Charlton, Tarez Graban, and Colin Charlton. "Multivalent Composition and the Re-Invention of Expertise," Multimodal Literacies and Emerging Genres. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2013: 356.
- Jonikka Charlton, Colin Charlton, Tarez Graban, Kathleen Ryan, and Amy Stolley. GenAdmin: Theorizing WPA Identities in the 21st Century. Parlor Press, 2011.
- Colin Charlton. "Forgetting Developmental English: Re-Reading College Reading Curricula," BWe: Basic Writing e-Journal 1, (2010).
- Jonikka Charlton and Colin Charlton. "The Illusion of Transparency at an HSI: A Pedagogical History of Becoming Public WPAs," Going Public: The WPA as Advocate for Engagement. Logan, UT: Utah State UP, 2010: 68-84.
- Colin Charlton. "The Complexity of Simplicity: Invention Potentials for Writing Students and Teachers," Writing Spaces: Readings on Writing 2, (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2010).
- Theron Francis and Colin Charlton. "What is Curriculum in Composition?," INQuiry (December 2008).
- Colin Charlton. Book Review of David Martin-Jones' Deleuze, Cinema, and National identity: Narrative Time in National Contexts. Post Script: Essays in Film and the Humanities, 28, no. 1 2008: 110-12.
- Jonikka Charlton and Colin Charlton. Disintegrating Composition: A Reflection in Three. UTPA, 2008.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Colin Charlton. Developmental Education Demonstration Projects for Publc Universities, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board , $400,000.00 (2010 - 2012)
- Jonikka Charlton. Faculty Development Fund Award, (July 2011)
- Colin Charlton. Council of Writing Program Administrators Research Grant, Council of Writing Program Administrators, $1,390.00 ( 2009)
- Colin Charlton. COAH Grant Assistance Program, Technology Center for Humanities Research, College of Arts and Humanities, (2006 - 2007)
- Jonikka Charlton. Faculty Development Fund Award, $1,603.00 (2005 - 2006)
- Colin Charlton. Graduate School Summer Research Grant, Department of English, Purdue University, $2,296.00 ( 2005)
- Colin Charlton. Travel Grant, Department of English, Purdue University, $500.00 ( 2005)
- Colin Charlton and Luz Ramos. "Mentoring Ecologies," Academic Affairs Leadership Team Meeting VIII, UTRGV AALT, Brownsville, TX (April 2018)
- Marlene Galvan, Colin Charlton, and Andrew Hollinger. "Developing a Vision for a Writing Program," Skype a Scholar, Frontera Retórica, University of Texas at El Paso (March 2018)
- Colin Charlton and Jonikka Charlton. "Gravity + Transfer: Engaging Students in Any Class with High Impact Writing Assignments," LEAP Texas, Liberal Education and America’s Promise (LEAP) Texas, Houston, TX (March 2018)
- Colin Charlton. "What is a Scholar?," First Year Experience Talk, UTRGV Office of Student Academic Success, Edinburg, TX (February 2018)
- Colin Charlton. "Gettin' Dirty: Teaching as Belonging in a University of Writing," RHETx, First Year Writing Program at UTRGV, Edinburg, TX (November 2017)
- Marlene Galvan, Andrew Hollinger, and Colin Charlton. "The Ecology of Fullness: From Writing Program to Student to University," Association of Rhetoric & Writing Studies (ARWS) Conference, El Paso, TX (October 2017)
- Colin Charlton and Virgil Pierce. "Modularized Approaches to Improving TSI Preparation: Part of the College Readiness Solution," South Texas College Summit on College and Career Readiness, South Texas College, Region 1-Edinburg TX (April 2017)
- Colin Charlton, Virgil Pierce, Merrill Hammons, Carolyn Myers, and Luzelma Canales. "Building a Better Bridge: Test Prep ISD/IHE Regional Collaboration," College for All Conference, PSJA, McAllen Convention Center (November 2016)
- Colin Charlton, Virgil Pierce, and Shirley Mills. "College Preparation in Long and Short Course Formats," College for All Conference, PSJA, McAllen Convention Center (November 2016)
- Colin Charlton, Virgil Pierce, and Jonikka Charlton. "UTRGV JumpStart-A New Model for Developmental Education Interventions," College for All Conference, PSJA, McAllen Convention Center (November 2016)
- ENGL 6325 02I - Studies in CompTechniques:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 6325 01I - Studies in CompTechniques:
- Course Evaluations
- ENGL 1301 58 - Rhetoric & Composition I:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER II 2018
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER I 2017