Dr. Chu-Lin Cheng
Cheng's research interests are Water and Energy Resources, Contaminant Fate and Transport (Water and Waste Management), Numerical Modeling, Geo/Hydro-informatics, Groundwater/Surface Water Interactions, Ecohydrology, and Applications of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) in natural and engineered porous media/environment. Prior to UTRGV (joined UTPA in Fall 2014), he was a joint postdoctoral researcher in the Environmental Sciences Division, Climate Change Science Institute at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (DOE), and the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. For student opportunity, complete list of research projects and publications, please visit my website. http://faculty.utrgv.edu/chulin.cheng/
Areas of Expertise
- Water and Energy Resources; Environmental Science/Engineering
- Contaminant Fate and Transport in Natural and Engineered Environment
- Engineering Geology
- PhD, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2009
- MS, Geological and Atmospheric Sciences, Iowa State University, 2006
- MS, Hydrogeology, National Cheng-Kung University, 1998
- BS, Earth Science, National Cheng-Kung University, 1996
- S. Mireles, Y. Ok, Chu-Lin Cheng, and Jihoon Kang. "Adsorptive and kinetic characterization of aqueous zinc removal by biochars," SDRP Journal of Earth Sciences and Environmental Studies 1, no. 3 (2016): 1–7.
- B Donnelly, Edmund Perfect, LD McKay, PJ Lemiszki, VH DiStefano, LM Anovitz, J McFarlane, RE Hale, and Chu-Lin Cheng. "Capillary pressure–saturation relationships for gas shales measured using a water activity meter," Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 33, (2016): 1342–1352.
- Chu-Lin Cheng, E. Perfect, B. Donnelly, H.Z. Bilheux, A.S. Tremsin, L.D. McKay, V.H. DiStefano, J.C. Cai, and L.J. Santodonato. "Rapid imbibition of water in fractures within unsaturated sedimentary rock ," Advances in Water Resources 77, no. 0 (2015): 82 - 89.
- W. Wei, J. Cai, X. Hu, P. Fan, Q. Han, J. Lu, Chu-Lin Cheng, and F. Zhou. "A numerical study on fractal dimensions of a current streamlines in two-dimensional and three-dimensional pore fractal models of porous media," Fractals 23, no. 1 (March 2015).
- Jianchao Cai, Edmund Perfect, Chu-Lin Cheng, and Xiangyun Hu. "Generalized Modeling of Spontaneous Imbibition Based on Hagen–Poiseuille Flow in Tortuous Capillaries with Variably Shaped Apertures," Langmuir (2014).
- M Kang, E Perfect, Chu-Lin Cheng, HZ Bilheux, J Lee, J Horita, and JM Warren. "Multiple pixel-scale soil water retention curves quantified by neutron radiography," Advances in Water Resources 65, (2014): 1–8.
- E Perfect, Chu-Lin Cheng, M Kang, HZ Bilheux, JM Lamanna, MJ Gragg, and DM Wright. "Neutron imaging of hydrogen-rich fluids in geomaterials and engineered porous media: A review," Earth-Science Reviews 129, (2014): 120–135.
- M Kang, E Perfect, CL Cheng, HZ Bilheux, M Gragg, DM Wright, JM Lamanna, J Horita, and JM Warren. "Diffusivity and sorptivity of Berea sandstone determined using neutron radiography," Vadose Zone Journal 12, no. 3 (2013).
- Chu-Lin Cheng, E Perfect, and R Mills. "Forward Prediction of Height-Averaged Capillary Pressure–Saturation Parameters Using the BC-vG Upscaler," Vadose Zone Journal 12, no. 3 (2013).
- Jeffrey Warren, Hassina Bilheux, Misun Kang, Sophie Voisin, Chu-Lin Cheng, Juske Horita, and Edmund Perfect. "Neutron imaging reveals internal plant water dynamics," Plant and soil 366, no. 1-2 (2013): 683–693.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Alexander Domijan. The Development of an Industrial Assessment Center for South Texas, Department of Energy (DOE), Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE), $1,250,338.00 (September 1, 2016 - August 31, 2021)
- Chu-Lin Cheng. GEOPATHS: Stimulating Hispanic Participation in the Geosciences (SHIP-GEO), National Science Foundation (NSF), $464,958.00 (September 1, 2016 - August 31, 2019)
- Javier Guerrero. Laguna Madre Estuary Program Environmental Strategic Plan, Texas General Land Office (GLO), $50,000.00 (2016 - 2018)
- Yuanbing Mao. A Novel X-ray System to Enhance Research and Education on Structural, Medical and Nanostructured Materials at Rio Grande Valley, Texas, DOD, $711,522.00 ( )
- Chu-Lin Cheng. Faculty Research Council Grant, UTRGV, $5,000.00 (February 2016 - August 2016)
- Juan Gonzalez, Chu-Lin Cheng, Jihoon Kang, Carlos Cintra-Buenrostro, Jude Benavides, Elizabeth Heise, James Hinthorne, and Frank Dirrigl. "Stimulating Hispanic Participation in the Geosciences (SHIP-GEO) at Rio Grande Valley in South Texas: Findings from Year One," The Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Geological Society of America (GSA), Seattle, WA (October 2017)
- Sergio Mireles, Jason Parsons, Tarek Trad, Chu-Lin Cheng, and Jihoon Kang. "Corn stover, Orange peel, and pistachio shell biochars as a filter media for removing lead and arsenic in water," Annual meeting of the ASA-CSSA-SSSA-CSSS, Soil Science Society of America, Tempa, Florida (October 2017)
- J. Brabazon, E. Perfect, Chu-Lin Cheng, H. Bilheux, A. Tremsin, and L. Santodonato. "Inverse Estimation of Surface Fractal Dimension and Aperture Width for Rock Fractures using Neutron Radiography," Department of Energy (DOE) 2017 Joint Nanoscience and Neutron Scattering User Meeting, Department of Energy (DOE) Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN (August 2017)
- E. Perfect, B. Donnelly, L. McKay, P. Lemiszki, V. DiStefano, L. Anovitz, J. McFarlane, R. Hale, and Chu-Lin Cheng. "Gas Shale Capillary – Pressure Saturation Relations Determined using a Water Activity Meter," American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting , American Geophysical Union (AGU), San Francisco, CA (December 2016)
- Chu-Lin Cheng. "A Preliminary Groundwater Conceptual Model for South Texas Sand Sheet," Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Annual Convention, Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies (GCAGS), Corpus Christi, Texas (September 2016)
- Elizabeth Heise, Chu-Lin Cheng, Juan Gonzalez, Jihoon Kang, Jude Benavides, James Hinthorne, and Frank Dirrigl. "Stimulating Hispanic participation in the Geosciences (SHIP-GEO) at Rio Grande Valley in South Texas," 2016 Annual Meeting, Geological Society of America, Geological Society of America, Denver, CO (September 2016)
- Sergio Mireles, Yongsik Ok, Chu-Lin Cheng, and Jihoon Kang. "Removal of zinc from stormwater runoff using charcoal-based adsorbents," 66th Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Annual Convention, Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, Corpus Christi, Texas (September 2016)
- Chu-Lin Cheng and Juan Gonzalez. "Significance of South Texas Sand Sheet in Water Resource Management for Lower Rio Grande Valley," The Geological Society of America, South-Central Section Annual Meeting, Geological Society of America (GSA), South-Central Section, Baton Rouge, LA (March 2016)
- Chu-Lin Cheng. "Hydraulic Parameter Upscaling and Sensitivity in Geologic Carbon Sequestration Simulations," The Geological Society of America, Annual Meeting , Geological Society of America (GSA), Baltimore, MD (November 2015)
- Sergio Mireles, Stephanie Downs, Yongsik Ok, Chu-Lin Cheng, and Jihoon Kang. "Biochar as a filter media for stormwater treatment," StormCon - The Surface Water Quality Conference & Expo, Austin, Texas (August 2015)
- ENVR 5370 01 - Top Env Sc: Environmental Flow:
- Course Evaluations
- EEMS 7300 04 - Thesis I:
- Course Evaluations
- EEMS 6385 03 - Graduate Research:
- Course Evaluations
- ENVR 4303 05 - Envr Sci Res Proj:
- Course Evaluations