Dr. Cheryl Fielding
Public school special education teacher and educational diagnostician. Started at UTPA 9/2000. Board Certified Behavior Analyst 2007. Provost's Award in International Studies 2006; Distinguished Teaching Award College of Ed 2011; Faculty Excellence Award for Teaching UTPA 2012. Over 20 publications including 2 book chapters.
Areas of Expertise
- Applied Behavior Analysis and Autism
- PhD, Special Education (Supervision), Texas Woman's University, 2000
- MEd, Special Education, University of Central Oklahoma, 1996
- BSCJ, Corrections, Pan American University, 1988
- John Lowdermilk, Julia Pecina, Cheryl Fielding, and Lisa Beccera. "Crossing Borders and Building Bridges: A Video Ethnography of Special Education in Nuevo Progresso.," Long Island, New York: Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals winter, (January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2016).
- Cheryl Fielding, John Lowdermilk, L. Lanier, A Fannin, C Rose, and C Simpson. "Applied behavior analysis: Current myths and issues in public education," Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2013).
- John Lowdermilk, Cheryl Fielding, Raúl Mendoza, Roman Garcia de Alba, and Cynthia Simpson. "Selecting English Language Acquisition Technology," Journal of Special Education Technology 27, no. 1 (2012): 77–80.
- L. Beccera, John Lowdermilk, Cheryl Fielding, and Julia Pecina. "Oh brave new screen that has such apps in it: Using the iPad to foster educational learning environments," The Journal of the Texas Association for the Education of Young Children 1, no. 32 (2011): 13-18.
- J Cavazos, M Johnson, Cheryl Fielding, Alonzo Cavazos, Veronica Castro, and L Vela. "A qualitative study of resilient Latina/o college students," Journal of Latinos and Education 9, no. 2 (2010): 172-188.
- John Lowdermilk, Cheryl Fielding, L Flores-Torres, A Andrews, and L Beccera. "Communication and collaboration among providers," Academic Exchange Quarterly 14, no. 4 (2010): 25-30.
- John Lowdermilk and Cheryl Fielding. "Building Learner-Focused Collaborative Relationships," Teaching Children with Autism in the General Classroom. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 2009.
- L Vela-Gude, J Cavazos, M Johnson, Cheryl Fielding, Alonzo Cavazos, and L Campos. "My counselors were never there: Perceptions from Latina/o college students," Professional School Counseling Journal 12, no. 4 (2009).
- John Lowdermilk, Cheryl Fielding, L Beccera, and Julia Pecina. "Piecing together the future of virtual training: Second life and training professionals to work with children with emotional disorders," International Association for Development of the Information Society 2, (2009): 433-437.
- John Lowdermilk, Cheryl Fielding, L Beccera, and Julia Pecina. "Piecing together the future of virtual training:Second life and training professionals to work with children with emotional disorders," International Association for Development of the Information Society 2, (2009): 433-437.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Cheryl Fielding. Texas Research and Information Network for Autism (TRAINA, Autism Treatment Center, (2001-12-01)
- Cheryl Fielding. Statewide Survey of Educational Diagnosticians, Texas Educational Diagnosticians’ Association, (2001-10-01)
- Cheryl Fielding. The Effects of Types of Language Proficiency Assessment Information and Test Data on Psychoeducational Decisions in Determining Learning disabilites , (2000-11-01)
- Cheryl Fielding. "Antecedent Strategies to Encourage Compliance," ABA in the Classroom: Behavior Reduction and Prevention, The Mocha Tribe Diaries and The Shape of Behavior, Harlingen, Texas (August 2018)
- Cheryl Fielding. "Culturally Sensitive Practices in Behavioral Assessments and Interventions," International Research Conference, National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies, South Padre Island (October 2017)
- Cheryl Fielding. "How a Diagnosis of ASD Possibly Interferes with Scientific Treatment of Associated Behavior," American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences 20th Annual National Conference, American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences, Las Vegas (January 2017)
- Cheryl Fielding. "Best Practices in the Provision of Special Education Services in Public Schools," Professional Development Seminar for Brownsville Educators, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Brownsville, Texas (October 2015)
- Cheryl Fielding. "Behavior Reduction Strategies," 2nd Annual Empowering Tools Conference, Texas Parent to Parent, Port Isabel, Texas (May 2015)
- John Lowdermilk, Julia Pecina, and Cheryl Fielding. "Creating an Online Special Education Program," National Social Science & Technology Annual Conference, National Social Science Association, Las Vegas (April 2014)
- John Lowdermilk, Julia Pecina, and Cheryl Fielding. "nCLUDED for Life: A follow up," National Social Science & Technology Annual Conference, National Social Science Association, Las Vegas (March 2013)
- John Lowdermilk, Julia Pecina, Cheryl Fielding, L Beccera, and Y Wang. "nCLUDED: Using an iPad Game to Teach Inclusive Practices to Future Teachers," National Social Science Annual Conference, NSSA, Las Vegas, NV (April 2012)
- Cheryl Fielding. "Instructional Effectiveness of Video Curriculum Content Delivery in a University Graduate Level Autism Class," Association for Behavior Analysis International Autism Conference, Philadelphia, PA (January 2012)
- Cheryl Fielding, A Andrews, L Flores-Torres, Julia Pecina, L Beccera, and John Lowdermilk. "Communication and Collaboration: Across Settings," Applied Behavior Association International Annual International Convention, Applied Behavior Association, Denver, CO (May 2011)
Selected Performances and Exhibitions
- and Cheryl Fielding. "nCLUDED4Life," Ft. Worth, TX ()
- and Lisa Beccera. "Cruzando Froteras," Nuevo Progresso, Mexico ()
SUMMER II 2018
SUMMER I 2018
SPRING 2018 MODULE 2
SPRING 2018 MODULE 1
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER I 2017