Carlos De Souza
Phone: (956) 665-3483
Dr. Carlos De Souza
Dr. de Souza’s areas of interest are the modern visual culture of Latin America with emphasis on the use of mass printed photography as narrative device and propaganda.
Areas of Expertise
- The history of photography with special attention to the modern printing culture created after the advent of the halftone process in the 1890.
- The use of mass printed photography as narrative device and propaganda.
- Mass printing analogue technology
- Latin American Modern Art
- Women Press
- PhD, Art History, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2009
- MS, Editing of Photography, Brooks Institute of Photography, 1998
- Licenciatura, Brazilian History, University Federal Fluminense, 1981
- Carlos De Souza. "Para la defensa de las Americas: The Pictorial Magazine En Guardia in Nelson A. Rockefeller’s Propaganda Campaign for Latin America during World War II," Rockefeller Archive Center Online (November 2012).
- Carlos De Souza. "The Law of the Heart: Narrative and Audience in the Argentinean Fotonovela," Center 26. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art 26, (June 2005): 153-156.
- Carlos de Souza. The Law of the Heart: Production, Narrative, Audience and Mythology in the Latin American Fotonovela . New York, NY: Cambria Press,
- Carlos De Souza and Jean Braithwaite. "Images Save Words: Notes on the Narrative Scheme of the Romantic Fotonovela”,," .
- Carlos De Souza. "Fakery and Allegiance to the Truth: The Harmonizing Image of Progress in Two Brazilian Picture Magazines," Latin American Research Review .
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- De Souza Carlos. Summer Writing, Office of Vice Provost for Academic Affair, $500.00 (May 30, 2017 - August 30, 2017)
- De Souza Carlos. Research for a book in Buenos Aires Argentina, Office of the Dean of Fine Arts, $1,000.00 (May 2, 2017 - May 11, 2017)
- De Souza Carlos. “Evita in the Fotonovela: Peronist Propaganda Targeted to Women., Office Global Engagement Faculty Travel Grant, $500.00 (March 1, 2017 - May 1, 2017)
- Carlos De Souza. Supplemental Grant for the Junior Faculty Travel Support Program , Offices of the Provost and Vice President Academic Affairs of The University of Texas Pan American (UTPA, $500.00 (September 2014)
- Carlos De Souza. Supplemental Grant for the Junior Faculty Travel Support Program , Offices of the Provost and Vice President Academic Affairs of The University of Texas Pan American (UTPA, $500.00 (October 2013)
- Carlos De Souza. Rockefeller Archive Center Grant-in Aid , Rockefeller Archive Center, $1,500.00 (October 2012)
- Stephanie Alvarez Martinez. Smithsonian Institute Community Grant, MetLife Foundation “Mural to Honor Braceros and Farmworkers of the Rio Grande Valley" , Smithsonian Institute , MetLife Foundation , $5,000.00 (August 2012)
- Carlos De Souza. Undergraduate Research Initiative , Office of Graduate Studies, $2,000.00 (September 2011 - May 2012)
- Carlos De Souza. Whittier College, Irvine Fellow for Art History., Whittier College, Irvine Fellow, $15,000.00 (2006 - 2007)
- Carlos De Souza. CASVA, Andrew W. Mellon Pre-Doctoral Fellowship , Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts (CASVA) of the National Gallery in Washington D.C, $50,000.00 (2004 - 2006)
- Carlos Desouza and Orcun Selcuk. "Evita in the Fotonovela: Peronist Propaganda Targeted to Women," XXXV International Congress of the Latin America Studies Association (LASA) , Latin America Studies Association (LASA), Lima, Peru (May 2017)
- Carlos De Souza and Dr. Jean Braithwaite. "A Monster and His Place: An Analysis of the Fotonovela Magazine Killing (sic) during the Argentine “El Process” 1977-1984 ," Comics Day, UTRGV _Organized by Dr. Braithwaite, Edinbug Campus (February 2017)
- Dr. Ifeanyyi Emenike and Carlos De Souza. "A Review of Contemporary Health Outcomes Of Exercise and Physical Fitness ," 25th Conference of NAAAS , NAAAS National Association of African American Studies, Dallas (February 2017)
- Carlos De Souza and Vanessa Austin. "A monster and his place: An analysis of the Argentinean fotonovela magazine Kiling (sic) during El Proceso 1972 to 1984," NAAAS , National Association of African-American Studies, Dallas. TX (February 2017)
- Carlos de Souza, Dr. Patrice Sentino, Derrick Freeman, and Carlos De Souza. "Adolescent Daughter’ Perceptions of Their Fathers’ Levels of Communication and Care: How These Variables Influence Female Adolescent Sexual Behavior. ," 25th Cenference of the NAAAS, National Association of African American Studies, NAAAS, Dalles (February 2017)
- Yomira Varela Guadiana and Carlos De Souza. "The 5-Ion Circuit in Chicano Literature ," 25th Conference of the NAAAS, National Association of African American Studies, NAAAS, Dallas (February 2017)
- Dr. Ibid Freiz. "Positive Self, and Negative Other: The East Representations in Western Discourse: Literature, Linguistic and Cinematic. ," 25th Conference of NAAAS , National Association of African American Studies, NAAAS, Dallas (February 2017)
- Carlos De Souza. "James Ensor: Life and Works and Overview," Introduction to the Lecture by the Belgium scholar Xavier Tricot, International Museum of Art and Science, McAllen, TX (2012)
- Carlos De Souza. "The Iconography of Saints and Myths of the Border," Public Lecture at the International Museum of Art and Science, International Museum of Art and Science, Mcallen, TX (2012)
- Carlos De Souza. "fotonovela, a genre of mass printed fictional narrative that text and readings conventions taken form comic books," The Weslaco Museum of Local History and Culture, Weslaco Museum, Weslaco, TX (2012)
Selected Performances and Exhibitions
- Marcus Farris "Concept for the art exhibit," The Sudio@620, St. Petersburg, Florida (2012)
- ARTS 6358 01 - Design History and Criticism:
- Course Evaluations
- ARTS 6356 01 - Art History Research Methods:
- Course Evaluations
- UNIV 6100 01 - Comp Exam Ext:
- Course Evaluations