Dr. M. S. Campney
Dr. Campney is the author of This Is Not Dixie: Racist Violence in Kansas, 1861-1927 (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2015).
Areas of Expertise
- American History, Western and Southern History, Race and Ethnicity
- PhD, American Studies, Emory University, 2007
- MA, American Studies, University of Kansas, 2001
- BA, American Culture, University of Michigan, 1998
- Brent Campney. Hostile Heartland: Racism, Repression, and Racism in the Midwest . University of Illinois Press (under contract), 2020.
- Brent Campney. "“‘The Most Turbulent and Most Traumatic Years in Recent Mexican-American History’: Police Violence and the Civil Rights Struggle in Texas, 1977-1978”," Southwestern Historical Quarterly (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2018): 30.
- Brent Campney. Review of Murder on Shades Mountain: The Legal Lynching of Willie Peterson and the Struggle for Justice in Jim Crow Birmingham. Criminal Law and Criminal Justice Books (May 2018), http://clcjbooks.rutgers.edu/books/murder-on-shades-mountain-the-legal-lynching-of-willie-peterson-and-the-struggle-for-justice-in-jim-crow-birmingham/ , May 2018.
- Brent Campney. Review of At the Altar of Lynching (Donald Mathews). January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2018.
- Brent Campney. Review of At the Altar of Lynching, by Donald Mathews. January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2018.
- Brent Campney. ""'Canadians Are Not Proficient in the Art of Lynching': Mob Violence, Social Regulation, and National Identity"," Global Lynching and Collective Violence, Vol. II, Europe and the Americas. Champaign-Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press, 2, October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2017: Approximately 25.
- Brent Campney. Lynched, by Amy K. Bailey and Stewart E. Tolnay. Florida Historical Quarterly, August 2017.
- Brent Campney. The Ghosts of Guerrilla Memory, by Matthew Christopher Hulbert. Journal of Southern History , 2016.
- Brent Campney. Ku-Klux, by Elaine Franz Parsons. H-Law, November 2016.
- Brent Campney. Civil Rights in the Texas Borderlands, by Will Guzman. Southern Spaces, April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2016.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Brent Campney. , Dean's Office (Liberal Arts), $500.00 (2017 - 2018)
- Brent Campney. Office of Global Engagement, UTRGV, $1,000.00 (2017 - 2018)
- Brent Campney. Hertlein-Whitehead Visiting Scholars Grant, Pittsburg State University (Kansas), $500.00 (June 2018)
- Brent Campney. Alyce Whayne Hunley Travel Award, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas, $750.00 ( )
- Brent Campney. Subvention Grant , $500.00 ( 2017)
- Brent Campney. Subvention Grant , Dean's Office (Liberal Arts), $500.00 (September 2015)
- Kristine Wirts. Faculty Development Grant, The University of Texas -- Pan American, $3,000.00 (May 1, 2014 - August 31, 2014)
- Brent Campney Campney. Southern Studies Dissertation Fellowship, $18,000.00 (September 2005 - May 2006)
- Brent Campney. Graduate Fellowship, Emory University, $154,080.00 (2001 - 2005)
- Brent Campney. ""'I Ain't Ever Going to Go to McAllen': Police Brutality, Municipal Politics, and Racism in South Texas, 1981"," UTRGV Distinguished Faculty Colloquium Series, (November 2017)
- Brent Campney. ""Bill Tuttle, Race Riot, and Writing Racist Violence"," Invited Panel, The Bill Tuttle Distinguished Lecture in American Studies, University of Kansas (October 2017)
- Brent Campney. ""'Canadians Are Not Proficient in the Art of Lynching': Mob Violence, 'American Style' Racism, and British Canadian Identity"," Organization of American Historians, Annual Meeting, Organization of American Historians, New Orleans, LA (April 2017)
- Brent Campney. "Keynote speaker for Kansas Day Celebration ," "The Black Freedom Struggle and the White Backlash in Kansas, 1960-1975", Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas (January 2017)
- Brent Campney. ""The Decline of Lynching and the Rise of Police Brutality in Kansas, 1890-1916"," Invited Lecture at Kansas City (MO) Public Library, Kansas City (Missouri) Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri (2016)
- Brent Campney. ""Terror in the Heartland: Reflections on Brent Campney's This Is Not Dixie"," Mid-America American Studies Conference, Mid-America American Studies Association, Lawrence, Kansas (March 2016)
- Brent Campney. "On Racist Violence in Kansas," Presentation at the State House in Topeka, Kansas, Kansas Legislature, Topeka, Kansas (March 2016)
- Brent Campney. ""Selma and the Civil Rights Movement in the Midwest"," Black History Month, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, UTRGV (February 2016)
- Brent Campney. ""'Keep the Lower Rio Grande Valley for the White Race': Racist Violence after the Hora de Sangre"," Texas State Historical Association Annual Meeting, Texas State Historical Association, Corpus Christi, Texas (2015)
- Brent Campney. ""'A White-and-Negro Environment which is Seldom Spotlighted': The Twilight of Jim Crow in Kansas, 1960-1965"," Western History Association Annual Meeting, Western History Association, Portland, Oregon (2015)
- HIST 1302 02 - U.S. History II:
- Course Evaluations
- HIST 7301 06 - Thesis II:
- Course Evaluations
- HIST 3300 04 - Historiography & Methods:
- Course Evaluations