Angela M. Chapman
Phone: (956) 665-2178
Dr. Angela M. Chapman
I have been a secondary and postsecondary science educator for over 15 years. I am currently a science teacher educator with a focus on improving engagement and learning in STEM.
Areas of Expertise
- Engagement in STEM Education
- Equity and Diversity in Science Education
- PhD, Curriculum & Instruction, University of South Florida, 2013
- MS, Biology, University of Kentucky, 1994
- BS, Zoology, Michigan State University, 1990
- Angela Chapman, Hsuying Ward, Ashwini Tiwari, Amy Weimer, Jaime Duran, Federico Guerra, and Robert Sale. "The Role of Language in Anatomy and Physiology Instruction," American Biology Teacher 79, no. 3 (March 2017): 184-190.
- Angela Chapman, Aaron Chila, Tracy McAllister, and Victor Aguilar. "Measuring Metabolism: Examining the Effects of Temperature on the Metabolic Rates of Beetles," The Science Teacher 83, no. 7 (2016): 55-60.
- Angela Chapman and Allan Feldman. "Cultivation of science identity through authentic science in an urban high school classroom," Cultural Studies of Science Education (July (3rd Quarter/Summer) 2016): 1-23.
- Carmen Pena, Angela Chapman, and Constantine Tarawneh. "Robots in Motion: Learning about Transportation Engineering through Robotics," Las Vegas, Nevada: Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education Conference, March 2015.
- A. Feldman, Angela Chapman, V. Vernaza-Hernandez, D. Ozalp, and F. Alshehri. "Inquiry-Based Science Education as Multiple Outcome Interdisciplinary Research and Learning (MOIRL)," Science Education International 23, no. 4 (2012): 328-337.
- Angela Chapman and D. Silkwood-Sherer. Fundamentals of Neuroanatomy: An Introduction to the Nervous System, 3rd Edition. C&S Works, 2001.
- Angela Chapman and E. Debski. "Neuropeptide Y Immunoreactivity of a Projection From the Lateral Thalamic Nucleus to the Optic Tectum of the Leopard Frog," Vis Neurosci 12, no. 1 (1995): 1-9.
- Q. Liu, Angela Chapman, and E. Debski. "Non-uniform Distribution of Cellular Phenotypes in the Optic Tectum of the Leopard Frog," J Comp Neuro 360, no. 4 (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 1995): 671-84.
- Angela Chapman and Felicia Rodriguez. Student Learning of Chemistry Concepts in an Informal Project-Based Summer Camp. Journal of Chemical Education, .
- Angela Chapman. Mixed Reality Environments in STEM Teacher Education. Journal of Science and Technology, .
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Kenneth Smith. Supporting the Preparation of Science and Mathematics Teachers in Rural South Texas, National Science Foundation, $1,199,508.00 (August 1, 2018 - July 31, 2023)
- Angela Chapman. Project ACCESS: Acquisition of Curricular Content for Exceptional Success in Science, Greater Texas Foundation, $89,000.00 (July 15, 2017 - June 30, 2020)
- Angela Chapman. Agency and Identity Among Science and Math Educators in the Rio Grande Valley, FocusRGV, $1,250.00 (January 1, 2017 - June 30, 2017)
- Angela Chapman. Outreach and Educational Activities to Increase Awareness of Transportation Engineering and Railway Safety, $52,094.00 (January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014)
- Angela Chapman. Toyota Tapestry Grant, ( 2010)
- Angela Chapman. Hewlett-Packard Technology Grant Award, ( 2006)
- Angela Chapman. Polk Education Foundation School to School Developer Grant, ( 2006)
- Angela Chapman. Florida Association of Science Teachers mini-grant, ( 2005)
- Angela Chapman, Anna Lewis, Becca Shareff, Lorraine Ramirez, Nikeetha Dsouza, and Felicia Rodriguez. "Cultural Connections – Hispanic and Latin American Teachers and Students," National Association for Research in Science Teaching, NARST, Atlanta, Georgia (March 2018)
- Hsuying Ward, Ian Werkheiser, Bradley Christoffersen, Ignacio Rodriguez, Arlett Lomeli, Rupesh Kariyat, and Angela Chapman. "Accessibility Learning Community: Creating Student Success through Universal Design for Learning," UTRGV Teaching Excellence Symposium, Center for Teaching Excellence, Edinburg (February 2018)
- Angela Chapman, Ariana Garza, Felicia Rodriguez, Mayra Hernandez, Juanita Rojas, Eva Rojas, Edgar Palomino, and Carolina Zarinana. "Towards Cultural Relevance: Developing Agency In Science and Math Educators in the Borderlands," Association for Science Teacher Education, ASTE, Baltimore, Maryland (January 2018)
- Janine Schall, Patricia McHatton, Eugenio Saenz, Isela Almaguer, Angela Chapman, Miryam Espinosa-Dulanto, Jennifer Esquierdo, Veronica Estrada, Ariana Garza, Jacqueline Koonce, Leticia Deleon, Karin Lewis, Dagoberto Ramirez, Felicia Rodriguez, Cinthya Saavedra, and Vejoya Viren. "Building Identity, Practice and Research at a Hispanic Serving College of Education, Pt. 1," 45th Annual TABE Conference, Texas Association for Bilingual Education, McAllen, TX (October 2017)
- Isela Almaguer, Angela Chapman, Leticia Deleon, Jennifer Esquierdo, Miryam Espinosa-Dulanto, Veronica Estrada, Ariana Garza, Jacqueline Koonce, Karin Lewis, Patricia McHatton, Dagoberto Ramirez, Felicia Rodriguez, Cinthya Saavedra, Eugenio Saenz, Janine Schall, and Vejoya Viren. "Building Identity, Practice and Research at a Hispanic Serving College of Education, Pt. 2," 45th Annual TABE Conference, Texas Association for Bilingual Education, McAllen, TX (October 2017)
- Angela Chapman, Revathi Srinivas, and Paul Sale. "Efficacy of Multiple Vocabulary Strategies in High School Anatomy for Bilingual Learners," 2017 Annual Meeting of National Association for Research in Science Teaching, NARST, San Antonio, Texas (April 2017)
- Leslie De la Pena, Elizabeth Lozano, Esmeralda Lopez, Nina Olvera, and Angela Chapman. "Attitudes Toward STEM: Factors that May Influence Pre-College Hispanic Female Students’ Performance in a STEM Summer Camp. ," 9th Conference on Understanding Interventions that Broaden Participation in Science Careers, Understanding Interventions, San Antonio, Texas (March 2017)
- Angela Chapman, Felicia Rodriguez, Erica Hinojosa, Lizbeth Morales, Yakeline Tijerina, and Valeria del Bosque. "Gender Differences: An Investigation of Hispanic Students Learning in a STEM Summer Camp," 9th Conference on Understanding Interventions that Broaden Participation in Science Careers, Understanding Interventions, San Antonio, Texas (March 2017)
- Angela Chapman. "First and Second Language Vocabulary Strategies in high school anatomy classrooms," Texas Association for Bilingual Education, TABE, Edinburg, Texas (October 2016)
- Paul Sale, Hsuying Ward, Angela Chapman, and Ashwini Tiwari. "RGV Special Education Research Consortium-Mentoring for Success. ," 38th International Conference on Learning Disabilities, Council of Learning Disabilities, San Antonio (October 2016)
- UTCH 3303 02 - Project-Based Instruction:
- Course Evaluations
- UTCH 3302 02 - Classroom Interactions:
- Course Evaluations
- EDCI 3333 20 - Sci to Elem Stud:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER 2017 MODULE 2
SUMMER II 2017
SUMMER 2017 MODULE 1
SUMMER I 2017
SUMMER I 2016