Andrew N. Ernest Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, B.WRE
Phone: (956) 665-3038
Andy N. Ernest Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, B.WRE
Dr. Andrew Ernest has accumulated over 20 years of professional experience in Environmental and Water Resource Engineering, and awarded over $20 million in grants and contracts throughout his career. Ernest has more than 100 publications in his name, including more than 40 masters’ theses he has supervised. His research focuses at the nexus of environmental informatics and water resource capacity development. Ernest bases his research efforts around his interest in investigating the role of innovation, entrepreneurship and engineering service in stimulating effort-based economies as a mechanism for promoting capacity development and sustainability.
Areas of Expertise
- Environmental & Hydroinformatics; Flood Response & Resilience; Expert/Decision Support Systems; Drinking Water, Wastewater & Natural Systems Modeling, Modeling & Management
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University - College Station, 1991
- MS, Engineering, University of Southwestern Louisiana, 1985
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Southwestern Louisiana, 1984
- Sarah Praskievicz, Cehong Luo, Bennett Bearden, and Andrew Ernest. "Evaluation of low-flow metrics as environmental instream flow standards during long-term average and 2016 drought conditions: Tombigbee River Basin, Alabama and Mississippi, USA," Water Policy (2018).
- JL Gutenson, Andrew Ernest, Abdoul Oubeidillah, L Zhu, X Zhang, and ST Sadeghi. "Rapid Flood Damage Prediction and Forecasting Using Public Domain Cadastral and Address Point Data with Fuzzy Logic Algorithms," JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association 54, no. 1 (2018): 104--123.
- Gary Moynihan, Xiaoyin Zhang, and Andrew Ernest. "Development of an Expert System for Water Distribution Network Decontamination," IIE Annual Conference. Proceedings. 2017: 79--84.
- Gary Moynihan, Xiaoyin Zhang, Andrew Ernest, and Joseph Gutenson. Evaluation of the Benefits of Using a Backward Chaining Expert System for Local Flood Forecasting and Warning. Expert Systems, 2017.
- Gary Moynihan, Xiaoyin Zhang, and Andrew Ernest. "Evaluation of the Benefits of Using a Backward Chaining Expert System for Water Distribution Network Decontamination," Proceedings of the 2017 Industrial and Systems Engineering Conference. 2017.
- Xiaoyin Zhang, Gary Moynihan, Andrew Ernest, and Joseph Gutenson. "An Expert System for Local Flood Response Coordination and Training," Engineering Management Research 6, no. 2 (June 2017).
- E Du, SJ Rivera, X Cai, BS Minsker, Andrew Ernest, and L Myers. "Impacts of human behavior heterogeneity on the benefits of probabilistic flood warnings," AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts. 2016.
- Erhu Du, Samuel Rivera, Ximing Cai, Laura Myers, Andrew Ernest, and Barbara Minsker. "Impacts of Human Behavioral Heterogeneity on the Benefits of Probabilistic Flood Warnings: An Agent-Based Modeling Framework," JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association (2016).
- JL Gutenson, AA Oubeidillah, Andrew Ernest, L Zhu, X Zhang, and ST Sadeghi. "Investigating Uncertainty in Developing Regional Building Inventories for Flood Damage Prediction," Natural Hazards Review (2016): 04016013.
- GA Tootle, JL Gutenson, L Zhu, Andrew Ernest, Abdoul Oubeidillah, and X Zhang. "A Methodology for Forecasting Damage & Economic Consequences to Floods: Building on the National Flood Interoperability Experiment (NFIE)," AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts. 2015.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Andrew Ernest. Lower Laguna Madre/ Brownsville Ship Channel Watershed Protection Plan, Texas Commission Environmental Quality, $200,000.00 (2017 - 2020)
- Mark Chu. MRI: Acquisition of a PC Cluster, High Performance Rio Grande Valley Cluster (HiRGV) , NSF, $976,250.42 ( )
- Andrew Ernest, Bennett Bearden, and Javier Guerrero. "Water Resources Integrated Science & Policy Research," 2017 CUAHSI Conference on Hydroinformatics, CUAHSI, Tuscaloosa, Alabama (July 2017)
- Andrew Ernest. "Texas," Rio Grande Valley Hurricane Ready Expo, South Texas College, Weslaco (June 2017)
- CIVE 4392 A - CE Senior Project:
- Course Evaluations
- CIVE 4392 02 - CE Senior Project:
- Course Evaluations
- CIVE 4392 B - CE Senior Project:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER I 2018
SUMMER I 2017