Dr. Andres Figueroa
Graduated with BS in Mathematics. Then offered a fellowship to pursue graduate studies at UC Riverside, where he obtained his Doctorate degree in Computer Science. Appointed by UT since 2004.
Areas of Expertise
- Genetic association studies
- Computational Biology
- PhD, Computer Science, University of California, Riverside, 2004
- BS, Mathematics, Morelos State University, 1998
- Hugo Gallardo, J. Villarreal-Perez, Ricardo Cerda, and Andres Figueroa. "Genetic variants in KCNJ11, TCF7L2 and HNF4A are associated with type 2 diabetes, BMI, and dyslipidemia in families of Northeastern Mexico: a pilot study," Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine 13, (2017): 523-529.
- Hugo Gallardo. "Asociacion de 64 polimorfismos de riesgo para diabetes tipo 2 en 36 familias externas del noreste de Mexico," III Congreso Latinoamericano de Genetica Humana y XXXVIII Congreso Nacional de Genetica Humana, 2013.
- Ricardo Cerda. "Genetic Structure of Mexican Mestizos with type 2 diabetes mellitus based on three STR loci," Gene 525, no. 1 (2013): 41-46.
- S. Gonzalez, Arturo Compean, and Andres Figueroa. Genetic Admixture and Population Substructure Patterns in Hispanic Populations: Implications for Disease-Gene Association Studies in Schizophrenia. . Washington DC: 60th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics., 2010.
- Michael Escamilla. "The epsin 4 gene is associated with psychotic disorders in families of Latin American origin.," Schizophrenia Research 106, no. (2-3) (December 2008): 253-257.
- Anita Baines. Analysis of neuregulin 1 missense mutations in Costa Rican families.. Philadelphia, PA, : 58th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics., November 2008.
- Andres Figueroa, P. Tsai, E. Bent, and R. Guo. "Robust Spots Finding in Microarray Images with Distortions.," Vancouver, BC, Canada: Proc. 30th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC08), August 2008: 1339- 1342..
- Andres Figueroa. "Approximate Clustering of Incomplete Fingerprints.," Journal of Discrete Algorithms 6, no. 1 (March 2008): pp 103-108.
- Anita Baines. Analysis of a neuregulin 1 missense mutation in a second sample from Costa Rica.. New York, NY: XV World Congress on Psychiatric Genetics., October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2007.
- Anita B. Analysis of a neuregulin 1 missense mutation in families of Mexican and Central American origin.. San Diego, CA: 57th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics., October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2007.
Selected Grants and Fellowships
- Andres Figueroa. UTAH-TX Bridge BioMed, NIH, $21,862.00 (June 1, 2016 - July 31, 2016)
- Andres Figueroa. UTAH-TX Bridge BioMed Contract, NIH, $16,486.00 (May 1, 2015 - July 31, 2015)
- Hansheng Lei. MRI: Acquisition of Futuro: a Data Intensive and High Performance Computing Cluster for Integrated Research and Education, National Science Foundation, $704,293.00 (September 1, 2009 - August 31, 2013)
- Andres Figueroa. "BPC-LSA: Scaling and Adapting CAHSI Initiatives (SACI)", NSF, $662,145.00 (January 2010 - December 2012)
- Andres Figueroa. "Genetic Determinants of Obesity/Abdominal Obesity and Related Phenotypes in the Rio Grande Valley Population", Borderplex Council Diabetes/Obesity Research Enhancement Fund, $50,000.00 (September 2008 - August 2010)
- Andres Figueroa. UTHSCSA/UTPA Service Contract, ERAHC, (June 2010 - July 2010)
- Andres Figueroa. South Texas Medical Genetics Research Group, UTHSCSA Innovative Research and Development Program, $1,200,000.00 (January 2007 - July 2009)
- Andres Figueroa. Microarray Image Analysis, UTPA, $2,000.00 (May 2007 - August 2007)
- Andres Figueroa. "Everyone should learn how to code," LOFT Coder Summit, Hispanic Heritage Foundation, UTRGV Community Engagement & Student Service Building (March 2017)
- Andres Figueroa. "Database System for Genotype and Phenotype Data," South Texas Integrated Team Collaborative for Health (STITCH) Symposium, UTRGV, McAllen Convention Center (March 2016)
- Mario Zuniga and Andres Figueroa. "Pedigree Evaluator," Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics & Native American in Sience (SACNAS) 2013 National Conference, SACNAS, San Antonio (October 2013)
- Robert Ordonez and Andres Figueroa. "Genetic cluster analysis and association of type 2 diabetes with 124 SNPs in Mexican Families," Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics & Native American in Science (SACNAS) 2012 National Conference, SACNAS, Seattle, Washington (October 2012)
- Jacqueline Barreiro and Andres Figueroa. "A New Genetic Sequence Editor," Computer Science Student Research Day Conference, Department of Computer Science, UTPA, Edinburg (April 2011)
- Andres Figueroa. "A New Genetic Sequence Editor," CAHSI's 5th Annual Meeting: "Unifying Efforts to Advance Hispanics", CAHSI, San Juan, Puerto Rico (March 2011)
- Andres Figueroa. "Genetic Admixture and Population Substructure Patterns in Hispanic Populations: Implications for Disease-Gene Association Studies in Schizophrenia," Second Annual Population Genetics Conference, CAHSI, UTEP, El Paso, TX (August 2010)
- Rey Sanchez and Andres Figueroa. "BioHub – A New Biological Sequence Toolbox," Computer Science Student Research Day Conference, Department of Computer Science, UTPA, Edinburg (April 2010)
- Jacqueline Barreiro and Andres Figueroa. "Genetic sequence Editor - Phylogenetic Trees Feature," HESTEC Engineering Symposium, UTPA, Edinburg (September 2009)
- Rey Sanchez and Andres Figueroa. "Genetic Sequence Editor - Sequence Alignment Feature," HESTEC Engineering Symposium, UTPA, Edinburg (September 2009)
- CSCI 6305 01 - Found Algs Data Structs:
- Course Evaluations
- CSCI 3300 01 - Internship in Computer Science:
- Course Evaluations
SUMMER I 2017